Jim's 7/8th Scale Nieuport 11 Finished and Flying

Over 4 long year since I purchased a partially plans built GL 7/8th scale Nieuport 11.

Here is the first day of flying testing at Watts Bridge , QLD

Cheers

Jim G

It looked and sounded awesome Jimbo... and climb.. holly sh!t.!!! I’ve never seen a Nieuport climb like that before.!!! Apart from that one circuit when you richened it up the engine sounded sweet all day

What I was so impressed with was... all take offs and landings were straight as a die... a very well behaved aircraft . The only disappointing thing about the day.. was you had to drive home and we couldn’t celebrate

Congratulations mate.!!

Bob

It looked and sounded awesome Jimbo... and climb.. holly sh!t.!!! I’ve never seen a Nieuport climb like that before.!!! Apart from that one circuit when you richened it up the engine sounded sweet all dayWhat I was so impressed with was... all take offs and landings were straight as a die... a very well behaved aircraft . The only disappointing thing about the day.. was you had to drive home and we couldn’t celebrate

Congratulations mate.!!

Bob

I see the VW engine has a belt reduction fitted, allowing it to have a bigger prop than would be normal for a VW - thats why the climb rate is so good. Nieuports are noted for being a bit squirrelly on the ground due to the quite small rudder, but this one appears to be very stable. Good job!

looks good Jim, is Kev still building the DR1?

Thanks FT , Kev is up to the covering and painting stage of his full scale DR1 .I will be helping with the engine set up . He hopes to start ground running the engine in the next few months

cheers

Jim G

Is that a 3 bladed prop I see?

Hey Pete , I was hoping no one would notice ! , I'm carving my own prop 80X47,not quite finished yet and was keen to get flying so I just put a Powerfin on .cheers

JG

Thanks All for those replies and well wishes...most appreciated.

I'm very surprised at how well the Nieuport flies straight out of the box , although I must confess I had the benefit of years of experience and testing the

guys in america have done . So I implemented most of the changes they had discovered and it all seems to tame it nicely.

cheers

Jim G

How many rpm is that engine doing in take off?

Hi Pete , the engine is doing 4700 rpm at full power climbing and at 4200 rpm I have about 62 knts in level flight.

cheers

Jim G

Hi Pete , the engine is doing 4700 rpm at full power climbing and at 4200 rpm I have about 62 knts in level flight.cheers

Jim G

I thought the vw engines were ment to rev lower then that( 3400-3800)? Will your new prop lower the rpm?Very nice plane by the way. A real credit to you

I thought the vw engines were ment to rev lower then that( 3400-3800)?

Thanks Pete , the new prop may take a few rpm off it but i would still expect it to be 4K+ . The valve train and reciprocating components will do this easily ,even the inlet port doesn't reach peak velocity till mid 5K with the 458cc cylinders . The biggest challenge is dealing with the lack of cooling fin area.

cheers

JimG

Who was the plans designer?

Canadian Graham Lee is the plans designer , he passed away a few years ago and his son Michael runs the website and sells the plans.cheers

Jim G