Just Bragging

Guest micgrace

Hi, at least someone else is having a go at doing and creating

something constructive. the design is a lot more aerodynamically

advanced than my post about a reasonably simple, fast build, low wing

monoplane.

Just bragging, thanks for the comments regards my design.

When built I'd definately be wearing a chute when doing tests. No

amount of calcs or precision engineering/building can overcome the

unknowns of a brand new plane (apart from using original factory jigs and parts)

Micgrace

• 8 months later...

Athur

WOW what a great effort and an excellent account of your nedeavours in the photo album.

I am looking at trying to mould some windshields as well for my application- unfortunately some a lot larger but I hope I might be able to adopt some of your methodology.

Can you tell me where you sourced the heating elements and Vacuum pump for your set up?

Look forward to seeing the finished product - Having a little experience with fibreglass I really would dread the thought of laying up the fuselage.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply, haven't logged on for a while.

The heating elements in my 'bubble box' are simple quartz halogen tubes from a cheap fan heater I bought at Woolies!

Someone gave me the old industrial vacuum pump, there out there somewhere!?

If you want to blow bigger bubbles, the real problem will be finding wider sheets!

Arthur

• 3 months later...

Pet Sheets

If you want to blow bigger bubbles, the real problem will be finding wider sheets!

I'm wondering where pet sheets can be bought and also where do you buy foam sheets.

I recently did some work in a school bus for a gent who was transforming it into a camper.

He lined the walls in 50mm foam sheets

I asked him where he bought them from

he replied from a friend if a mate of his son and he paid a fortune for them

and he would sell the leftovers to me for some ridiculously high price.

BTW Arthur about time for a photo update on your web site :big_grin:

• 1 month later...
BTW Arthur about time for a photo update on your web site

Yeah I know, however at the moment I am still busily building my hangar up at Taree.

I've added an album to my Yahoo photo page about building the hangar, but I can only update when I can get access to a computer with photo handling and internet.

Would still like to have the protoype LR-2 ready for Natfly'08.

Time to upload some more.....

Arthur.

• 2 months later...

Arthur, Just been through your construction photos. Man, you must have the patience of Job. All that work for a one off prototype. What are your long term plans, build 'production' models in your hanger?

I guess you have a very understanding wife who shares your passion, wish mine did. Does she take the photos for you?

Keep up the good work, here's to your success. Doug

• 12 years later...

OK folks, just reviving this old thread for chatting purposes...

Just a quick little history of my 'Stollite';

Using the wings of a previously upgraded ultralight, myself and a then apprentice with me at Bankstown, threw together (over three years) an airframe using very standardised all metal structural concepts ie; Cherrokee styled wing tanks, Cessna styled cabin with all controls under floor, Beaver styled aft fuselage and tail group, and unfortunately a Jabiru/Vampire styled control system (you live and learn).

Originally powered by a Rotax 503 as a 95:10, until it failed with the aircraft being lightly damaged.

It was then rebuilt as a 19 class, and powered by a Rotax 582, until I blew that up, (long story for later), but fortunately this time the aircraft was unscathed.

I happen to have an 80hp Rotax 912 laying around for another project, so I 'borrowed' it and continued flying.

The irony here is that, while using the 912, I was always on the lookout for something more akin to the 582, which it flew well with, to replace the 912 so it could go into the other project.

Enter the BMW R100 conversion that was sitting in a hangar with no paperwork or exhaust, but a reasonable price.

BMW details;

This is (to the best that I can determine) about a 1985, 1000cc bike engine that has had a full aero conversion kit, I think it is an English kit?

The engine has an adaptor plate on the gearbox end (which is now the front) and has a Rotax 'C' box with a spragg slipping clutch (the prop free wheels).

Because the engine is now technically installed backwards, both pots have been swapped across, putting the exhausts on the forward end of the engine, and therefore the carbi's at the back.

The heads have been modified to have two plugs, a mod done on the bikes as well, and a dual electronic ignition system fitted.

Things I had to do;

The inlet ports face upwards, about 20º from horizontal, so I needed to get some angled manifold rubbers to fit the 54mm Bing carbs (x2).

Make a catch can for the crankcase breather.

Modify the oil filter to adapt to an oil cooler.

Fit an oil pressure sender.

Get an exhaust system made.

Operation;

I fitted a larger Stewart Warner tach to the aircraft, and I think I have the switches at the back sorted?

When it works, the motor runs out to near 6000rpm and flies the Stollite about the same as the 582 did, using the same prop.

The problem I'm having is something fuel related, where when I first ran it, it started easily and idled pretty well. I had been told they don't like to idle too slow, but sits fairly smoothly around 1800~2000rpm (bit like a 912). Problem was when I first opened it up, it got to around 4000rpm and started to run rough and miss until it would stop.

This turned out to be fuel starvation.

Checked the fuel system, which seemed OK, so added an electric pump.

Start the engine, run up to 4000 where it would start to miss, turn on the pump and it would come good, and continue on up to around 5800 with good hearty sound.

Throttle back towards 3000 with the pump on, and it would go rough again, and if the pump wasn't turned off, it would flood out and stop.

This is not highly conducive to relaxed flying (don't ask), so when I find time to go back and fiddle with it (like now while we're not flying much), I'm playing around with different pumps and float settings.

The flight photos are around 2000ft over the airport (always within gliding distance), back in around 2017(!) and I've probably done a total of about an hour in it!

Other projects had since crowded the Stollite to the back of the hangar until last month, when I figured out how to adapt a 912 mechanical fuel pump to the 'C' box.

Unfortunately it hasn't totally cured the problem and the 4 year old, non maintained battery, is almost stuffed, and now the other projects and some sideline work are pushing for attention.

I'll get there eventually.

IMG_6309.thumb.jpg.7637ae05334ea444c8a12f66af766592.jpg

IMG_6321.thumb.jpg.0a674a0fd6076dfd7f677e5412a72f51.jpg

SDC12589.thumb.jpg.5ef9c767c067d3f93314aa6b0726893c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 1