lakes Enterence for breakfast

stevron

2 planes left Albury air port at a very early hour , we flew directly to Benambra township via Dartmouth, Mitta Mitta the view from height was spectacular , with valley fog (and some smoke) and a perfect sunrise over the hill tops and the air was crisp encouraging the planes floated peacefully through the air with hardly a ripple, what a fantastic morning to fly.

YLKE (Kalimna) was in view in no time at all and unfortunately bringing our flight to an end for the day. YLKE is a well kept grass strip with facilities. The owner of the strip always makes you feel welcome and will give you a ride into town if he has the time.

We headed straight to the pier and freshly cooked prawns were on the menu for breakfast and i can still taste the freshness that only comes from being sea side.

We spent the day walking around and eating freshly cooked fish, i believe this is the life i would have loved to live, if i could have.

Next morning we flew to Bairnsdale for fuel, then via the VFR lane through the restricted area to Lilydale. The flying conditions were not as good as on the way over the hills but scenery was just as good. Lilydale via Mansfield back to Albury was one of the roughest ,smokey days i have ever flown and not to mention the thermals .

At Albury i was requested to do an orbit to let the Air Ambulance leave, my light plane was reacting to the thermals, heat and wind in an unpleasant and unhappy manner.

But really, these challenges are what we love about flying. The trip was not long enough but we enjoyed it. :)

• Like 2

Lived at Lakes, or in the vicinity, for many years. Still think of it as home. Spent a smoky Christmas there with the family. Clem at Kalimna was his usual welcoming self, and our aircraft was happily tied down for the week. We flew home on the 29th December. Fortunately we had refuelled at Bairnsdale on the way in. Inland was very smoky. So we flew home coastal.

Aircraft type? VH?

Brumby 610 LSA

Lived at Lakes, or in the vicinity, for many years. Still think of it as home. Spent a smoky Christmas there with the family. Clem at Kalimna was his usual welcoming self, and our aircraft was happily tied down for the week. We flew home on the 29th December. Fortunately we had refuelled at Bairnsdale on the way in. Inland was very smoky. So we flew home coastal.

Wes