LSA

dazza 38

Ratings
3,043 127
Country
Country
I have been told that level 2 are next in line, watch out
Having worked on Fast jets for 12 years in the past as a Airframe/Aircraft Technician.I have seen some dodgy stuff performed on UL aircraft and GA aircraft. Having said that.I have not seen UL aircraft fall out of the sky willy nilly either.UL aircraft by nature are not that complex. Engines can be, but airframes not realy unless you get into the composite and composite repairs. I dont personally have a L2.No need for it.
PS- dodgy work, not unsafe work. I mean - simple trade skills like bad lockwiring.Still doing the job, but messy.Not neat etc.

jpreou

Ratings
Country
Country
I got a bit rude with a well know CASA guy and told them that no aircraft will fly in Aussie soon the way things are going.
Someone once told me (and bear in mind I am not an Aussie, nor do I live there) that CASA stood for "Cnts against Sensible Aviation"! :)
No idea if true, but it was funny.
We're not so bad here in NZ, but the CAA / Airways still make GA harder and more expensive than it needs to be :(

Thruster87

Ratings
Country
Country
Someone once told me (and bear in mind I am not an Aussie, nor do I live there) that CASA stood for "Cnts against Sensible Aviation"! :)
Started my career in aviation back in 1969 and I have never heard that saying before, only insulting personal comments of individual casa inspectors

Dafydd Llewellyn

Ratings
1,655 28
Country
Country
Getting back to the question of why were some manufacturers or aircraft disallowed (for want of a better word), the answer may be found in CASR Part 21.186.1(a) and CASA AC 21.42 - in particular, the latter, which explains what it takes to become a manufacturer of LSA aircraft. Amongst other things, the manufacturer needs to either (1) hold a Production Certificate for an aircraft of comparable complexity, OR (2) must have the services of professional persons acceptable to CASA.

See http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/021/021c42.pdf

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
Ratings
245 4
Yes and we had my engineer working for us and no one ask us. just a letter to go LSA and we asked our selves how did this happen. And when we did all the testing and paper work again, with our engineer present. When the CASA del. turned up the first thing he said was my plane hit a ferris wheel and then spend the weekend condemning every thing we had done ,he would not even except the jab motor . Which is one out of two best on the market. As with every one else bar two had the 24 rego taken away .destroyed aussie manufacturing in this country. and now there is no confidence in the market when the GFC is no us as well. My glider is sitting now for a year and may never fly in this country. SAAA has banded me from advisting where 75% of our work come from .

David Isaac

Ratings
2,306 17
Country
Country
Yes and we had my engineer working for us and no one ask us. just a letter to go LSA and we asked our selves how did this happen. And when we did all the testing and paper work again, with our engineer present. When the CASA del. turned up the first thing he said was my plane hit a ferris wheel and then spend the weekend condemning every thing we had done ,he would not even except the jab motor . Which is one out of two best on the market. As with every one else bar two had the 24 rego taken away .destroyed aussie manufacturing in this country. and now there is no confidence in the market when the GFC is no us as well. My glider is sitting now for a year and may never fly in this country. SAAA has banded me from advisting where 75% of our work come from .
Gary,
I have no doubt that had the right support been available (and that should have come from RAAus at the time) your situation could have been largely overcome. You were the victim of a series of circumstances that were unbelievably coincidental, and terribly unfortunate and at the same time fortunate that nobody was injured. Unfortunately you couldn't arrange a more highly public profile accident if you tried to engineer it. The accident had nothing to do with your aircraft. The placement of the Ferris Wheel I allege was negligent in the extreme. ... BUT ... it happened to be one of your aircraft and the experimental one at that, so all the darts were aimed at you. Sure there were many things not 'right' with your operation at the time, but these were all issues that could have been overcome with the right support, efforts and implementation of systems.

I too am fearful for Australian manufacturing content in aviation, the latest debacle with Jabiru could bring about the demise of two Australian companies. I just hope the kit built 19 rego system can stay strong. Some of this European LSA product is real crap and most will be dead frames, not economically repairable a hell of a lot sooner than the owners think. They are certainly not 10,000 hrs plus frames like little GAs are.

If I was a speculating man, it will only b a matter of time until they 'life' many of these LSAs. Ever priced a replacement wing for a Tecnam? You wait, the manufacturers will engineer obsolescence into the frames and they will reach a point of non viability in a lot less hours than people will hope for.

Last edited:

flyvulcan

Ratings
567 9
Country
Country
SAAA has banded me from advisting where 75% of our work come from .
Hi Garry,

There is a new National Council in the SAAA that may be receptive to renouncing your ban on advertising in their magazine. Unless there is demonstrable fault with the product or lack of integrity on the part of the manufacturer/supplier, I feel that the SAAA should be supporting the local industry of which you are a big player.

I know someone else that is in your position with the SAAA and I feel that these "bans" which are in place should be reviewed. I shall communicate with the few that I know on the new SAAA NC and find out whether something can be done.

As for your glider, there should be nothing stopping it from being flown under one of the provisions of the experimental category.

Cheers,

Dave