Minor service - expected time & cost

Just wondering what people are being changed for a Rotax minor service:

* Oil and filter change

* Spark plugs x 8

* Labour - how long do you expect this to take? 2 hours?

Plugs are normally only changed every 200 hours

10 minutes to change oil filter ( whilst oil is draining)

5 minutes to refill oil

+ remove and replace cowlings

plugs would take about 30 minutes to replace

Thank you both. The answer I was after was along the lines of crashleys' response, however, Downunder you raise an interesting point. For exactly the same task why would you pay one person more to do it than the other just because of their title? It's not rocket science is it to change a spark plug? Economic costs such as the costs of the spark plug or business running costs may play into the pricing but in real terms, the task is the same so the price should not be vastly different.

Anyway I digress...I just wanted to know when I'm being taken for a ride. That is the root of my question. And when you hear figures as crashley quotes compared to hours on hours, you'd think "hang on a minute? what do you take me for?"

The only thing I have to compare to at the moment is how long my auto mechanic takes but he's got to move a lot more things to get to the oil and spark plugs than an L2.

The most "minor service" on Rotax 912 series is a 100 hourly. If you read the Rotax documentation for a 100 hourly you will see there are alot more tasks to be carried out than just changing oil & filter. If you are changing plugs as well it is most likely a 200 hour service that invloves even more. These other inspections & checks all take time that a maintainer is going to expect to be compensated for.

You should be expecting to receive a copy of the Rotax checklists & worksheets from whoever is carrying out the maintenance which will detail the checks, inspections & work carried out.

• Like 1

Rotax check list is a good place to start. A minor service would be 50 hr oil change.dont forget allow time for safe tying, magnetic plug inspection, cut and inspect oil filter, write up log book, clean up etc. But if on the other hand this becomes more of an annual, expect a lot longer. Unless you know what you are doing, best to find someone you can trust to do the service, expect to pay reasonable rates, quite a bit of time involved in paperwork, checking SB's etc

• Like 1

Ok...and so as you would expect from your auto mechanic an inspection report should detail what was done.

Do folks normally get a report as such? If not I wonder what an abbreviated form might look like. I can't imagine listing a hundred items on an inspection report unless a prepared list was used. Or is that what the Rotax checklist is?

Again, my auto mechanic does not normally supply his inspection report as part of the invoice however he will state something like '20 point service inspection' and associate a cost to it.

If you are having an L2 or LAME perform the work he should enter details in your engine and aircraft maintenance logs. Personally I find the entry "as per maintenance schedule" not quite enough and rather a more detailed entry, especially useful when selling or purchasing an aircraft and trying to get a clear picture of its history. Whoever does you work if it is a factory built a/c ensure they understand the maintenance regulations of LSA aircraft with respect to factory approvals, mods and repairs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had a 25 hourly done recently and it cost a little under $200.

I have only recently purchased the plane, but the last 100 hourly cost about $800

Both were done by L2s in accordance with the maintenance manuals. As mentioned above, all maintenance is required to be entered into the Aircrafts Maintenance Log, and signed off by the qualified L1 or L2 that did the work.

This is on my Jabiru LSA 55 with a Jabiru 2200 engine.

If you want to do your servicing yourself, you need to be at least L1 qualified, so contact RAAus for this, it is not difficult to get. Then contact Rotax and get the maintenence manual for your engine, usually a free download. Even if you don't want to do your servicing, it would still be an advantage to get the L1 qualification as you can legally do minor work on your plane if you want.

I had a 25 hourly done recently and it cost a little under $200.I have only recently purchased the plane, but the last 100 hourly cost about $800

Both were done by L2s in accordance with the maintenance manuals. As mentioned above, all maintenance is required to be entered into the Aircrafts Maintenance Log, and signed off by the qualified L1 or L2 that did the work.

Thanks Nightmare..that's the kind of perspective I'm looking for.

• Like 1

You could be taken for a ride by those who overcharge or of those who undercharge. The cheap operator could also be incompetent and the expensive operator is just charging what the customer will bear. At the end of the maintenance you should have all the work itemised in the aircraft logbook. Possibly your best bet is to go with someone who has a good reputation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Nightmare..that's the kind of perspective I'm looking for.

Your Maintenance Release will tell you when your servicing intervals will be at, and what work is required. These will also be listed in the Maintenance Manual. I believe, Rotax requires their services every 50 hours, with major hourly services at 100 hours.

Just wondering what people are being changed for a Rotax minor service:* Oil and filter change

* Spark plugs x 8

* Labour - how long do you expect this to take? 2 hours?

The last 50 hrly I had done I was charged around the $325.00 which was basically plugs / oil / air filter clean and re-oil and check around the engine hoses etc and my last100 hrly which is not only the engine as above but a airframe inspection / brakes etc as well cost me around the $1300 ...I hope that helps.

David

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The last 50 hrly I had done I was charged around the $325.00 which was basically plugs / oil / air filter clean and re-oil and check around the engine hoses etc and my last100 hrly which is not only the engine as above but a airframe inspection / brakes etc as well cost me around the $1300 ...I hope that helps.

David

That does help! A couple different perspectives here. Changing plugs at 200hrs as suggested by Mick above seems high. It probably depends on the condition??

@Nightmare, what was involved in your 25hrs? Inspect and oil change only right?

From discussion here, hopefully it's helped other new aircraft owners because it certainly open my eyes to what I should expect to get as part of my service.

Might need to shop around a bit!

That does help! A couple different perspectives here. Changing plugs at 200hrs as suggested by Mick above seems high. It probably depends on the condition??

I agree that 200 hrs for plugs is a bit high, but it is what the book says. I change mine at 100 hrs.

The 25 hourly oil change is a Jabiru thing, Rotax change oil every 50.

From discussion here, hopefully it's helped other new aircraft owners because it certainly open my eyes to what I should expect to get as part of my service.

Might need to shop around a bit!

Yep, oil and oil filter change. I got a couple of other things done as well, repaired a oil hatch, changed a tire, but I supplied it

I agree that 200 hrs for plugs is a bit high, but it is what the book says. I change mine at 100 hrs.The 25 hourly oil change is a Jabiru thing, Rotax change oil every 50.

Ok gotcha...and from what I've gathered on the forums that the 25hr oil change for Rotax is recommended if you use avgas so all good there.

• Agree 1

I change oil at 25 hours as i sometimes use avgas, which is early, but if I am away I can let it go longer . oil filter change at 50 hours, remove and clean and re oil air filters 100 hours spark plugs 200 hours change coolant every 2 years and replace all rubber ( radiator hoses carby sockets carby diaphragms fuel pump etc) every 5 years

Ok gotcha...and from what I've gathered on the forums that the 25hr oil change for Rotax is recommended if you use avgas so all good there.

Hi Acro

Have you downloaded or copied the Rotax maintenance schedule from their manuals. That will let you plan and cost your services. I'm surprised at those who do their own servicing and did not know about the requirement for the friction torque check or about the additional requirements if using leaded fuel more than 30% of operation. Cheers

• Agree 1

From memory, I think the plugs need "inspecting and cleaning" at 100 hrs and replacing at 200(?)......For the effort and cost involved, I just junk them every 100...

There's also the cylinder "leak down" test which may clock a bit of time if you're paying for it.

• Agree 1

One of the reasons for choosing an L2 over a LAME is that they may have more Rotax experience.

So many LAME's rarely run into a Rotax.

Floods hold training courses. 3 or 4 levels I think. You may want to ask their Rotax experience..

Rotax-owner is a good site to join. You pay but it keeps out the riff raff... lol.

Lots of tutorial videos and you are automatically sent service bulletins.

The forum there has people like Roger Lee and Rob Seaton. They have forgotten more about Rotax engines than most people know....

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1