SingAir laments Airbus delay

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

June 01, 2005

SINGAPORE Airlines, which will be the first airline to fly the new superjumbo Airbus A380 aircraft to Australia, today said it was disappointed that the manufacturer had delayed delivery of the planes.

However, Singapore Airlines said it still expected to begin flying between London and Sydney with A380s in the second half of 2006 - before Qantas begins flying the super jumbos in 2007.

"While we are disappointed that we will experience a delay in taking carriage of the new A380 aircraft, we are working with Airbus to minimise the length of that delay," a spokeswoman said.

"It will not affect Singapore Airlines' 'First to Fly' position. "We are still anticipating a second half of 2006 entry into service."

Singapore Airlines was expecting to begin using the planes in mid-2006, taking delivery of the first four A380s to roll off the production line.

But Airbus has delayed delivery of the aircraft for all its buyers, including Qantas Airways.

Qantas, which has ordered 12 A380s, was due to get its first A380s in October 2006 but will now have to wait until 2007.

Qantas shares were down three cents to $3.19 at 1100 AEST.

Guest Guest

As I mentioned on another thread, it affects all customers, as I believe it because to A380 is much heavier than expected and planned for. :(

Guest Glenn

And I was looking forward to being in Sydney next June when Singapore came in with the A380. Now have to wait a little longer.

Guest Ultralights

i wonder how the effective pausing in the EU union will effect production? with france voting no.