What did you think of the Wide Bay Airshow?

What did you think of the Wide Bay Airshow?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the Wide Bay Airshow?

• Loved it. I will go again.
    • Worth attending, but needs changes. (Post your suggestion)
    • It was rubbish. I'll never go again.
    • I didn't go and I don't even know why I'm voting.

While I enjoyed it, many people seem to think the Wide Bay Airshow ranged from rubbish to endurable.

If you attended, let us know what you think, and via posts in this thread, how you think it could be improved next time.

For example, the issue of transport from the aircraft parking area to the makeshift camping area did not eventuate. I raised this with Viv the organiser type person, and she acknowledged that it was a major problem for people to lug stuff that far by foot. The major issue there is money. It's a tight budget, and the hoped-for government money didn't eventuate.

Also Jack tells me that the camping area sucked. Cold showers and poor amenities.

That would need to be changed too.

What else can you come up with, and how could it be achieved on a tight budget?

While I voted for Worth Attending, I think I would have been happier if there was an option between Worth attending and it was rubbish. I think alot of things could have been improved.

Apart from a few highlights, for example the supercar v jet race, and the Mig flying around, I think the show had a little bit too much emphasis on Formation flights, and war birds flying around in circles 'bombing'. This combined with the cheesy bombing and gunfire effects, and at some points commentating that didnt show intelligence, made for a very slow day for me at least.

I stayed at the campsite next to that big carpark, across the road from the air show, and had no real complaints at all. Sure the showers could have been warmer, but you get that everywhere that you camp, its normal. One thing I did notice was the lack of lighting in the toilets. At night this made for a real 'I feel like I am about to be jumped' feeling when you ventured in there, especially for the girls I was with.

Overall, if there was less slow formations and war birds, with a more fast paced feel to the show, it would have been a much better experience. Oh, also, I forgot to mention above, A lot of the volunteers that my group encountered seemed to be very agro, and had no manners at all, especially one SES member that pretty much ruined the day for me and my group, but I wont go into detail about that. All I will say is that the volunteers/workers need to be a lot more cheery, because it really didn't leave a good impression.

Cheers,

Nathan

Air show

Highlights: Mig - big gas burner - excellent showed off that plane well, Pitts daredevil - excellent showed off that plane well, P51 display - excellent showed off that plane well, Ag pilot oblivious to X wind in either direction on tarmac - excellent showed off that plane well, DC3 tail up and going full tit - excellent showed off that plane well, vintage planes, static displays and machines for sale, volunteer assistance, coffee and food

Downlights: Seeing a formation of planes fly over and dissappear to the 7 mile horizon then fly over again 4 minutes later - it would have been far better to see some of that and each plane fly a circuit, aircraft holding on ground - either to taxi or park - for no apparent reason, big truck ripping up the tarmac and that blood cool SW wind

Summary: good - could be improved in some areas with more focus on crowd entertainment

I pretty much agree with everything Johnm said. I went to the 2007 show and it was fantastic. I have to admit a decent comentator who actually has a clue about what he talking about would be a bonus:loopy:

The parking was a joke compared to 2007. In 07 you parked in all the vacant land at the back of the field and this time you had to walk a mile just to get in the gates.

And one final note the 07 viewing areas were excellent but this year half of it was close off for the extra runway. I can't see why because in 07 they used that runway aswell and it made for some great overhead shots.

Just my 2c worth

Guest blakey36

I'd sum it up as pretty average...I agree with all the comments so far...But it was nice seeing the oldies fly around with their deep throat growls...However some of the organisation stunk especially as the show has been taken over by a so-called professional event company who according to what I heard promised the local community organisations so much but failed to deliver in some areas I have had to claim monies back which they failed to pass-on... I stayed in the Rotary Campsite and find the Rotarians to be extremely helpful in trying to sort out the mess...Further I must compliment the Karen the shows Adminstrator she also bent over backwards to help us pre & post show and I would like to thank the Pilots who did their best to entertain and inform us...Perhaps, who knows, for all the organiser's hype it just may get better...Lets hope.

Bryan

supplement

All about the air show has been said, but just incase you missed seeing it, here is a picture of Slarti’s favorite airplane at the show.

One thing I will remember about this show was how cold it was. Mainly on the Friday and Saturday, a chilly wind blew hard from the West. There was more use off the grass cross runway than the main runway.

Rumors at the show were that the previous air shows were not profitable, and that this time there was a new management. For a first time, I would say they made a good fist of it if you take it for what it was - an air show for the masses, and not so much an air show for aviation enthusiasts. Let’s hope they learn from their mistakes, and make it better next time. A copy of Raglan it isn’t. It doesn’t even come close. Visiting aviators got in for free - but that’s all they got.

I hope the air show made a profit. If they didn’t, it must be just how they do the accounting. The town was packed to the rafters. I tried to book any sort of accommodation a week before, and I could not find anything. I drove a hire car around, and I did not see a hotel without a ‘no vacancy’ sign. I even looked at the surrounding towns on the coast. We could not camp with our ‘planes at the airfield. The local showground was made into a camping ground by Rotary, plainly by amateurs again. Basic food was available at a showground type outdoor facility. It was cccold with a chilly westerly wind. No shelter, little light, and no warmth at all. There was no transport and no entertainment. Not even a fire. For those that walked it was a 3.5km hike to reach their ‘plane. If I cannot find a room next time, I am definitely not going.

All in all the positives outweighed the negatives. There was an excess of volunteers, all wearing bright yellow shirts, sporting the show theme - under jumpers and cardigans. The mood was positive and cheerful, and help in any direction was at the drop of a hat. I did not come across any individuals bent on making life difficult, and I only got my ASIC card out on the last day when I heard some aviators airside had been warned that the card should be worn. No one even looked at it.

If my hat wasn’t blown off, I would take it off to the three pilots of the Tiger Moths that flew around for at least half an hour with bunting attached between their ‘planes.

Jack. :thumb_up: 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif thumb_down 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Cheater.jpg.9c568b521617df4b07c8c810e58c2cd1.jpg

805484649_Foldingbike.jpg.c3e64e6f70da99d51ddc6a9e81e0aa0a.jpg

Rapide.jpg.000bffda5a4474d3f7f5c724d023a576.jpg

1592163438_Threetigers.JPG.62af6d33e6121e93c9f558e55d22fb5c.JPG

Guest ozzie

These days trying to organise a show like this must be a nightmare. crippling insurance to cover the public, CASA's regs for performing limits the number of available pilots and aircraft. not being able to camp with your aircraft and other percieved security threats would drive off some. then having to deal with council regs to camp in places like the showground would add to the hassel. The other logistics involved like fuel food organising volunteers roles. arrgg why bother.

Maybe we 'rec flyers' have the talent amongst us to have a go at holding our own airshow every couple of years. Our own version of 'Airventure' maybe.

Ozzie

It really saddens me to see all the negative remarks about the airshow. It is an extremely tough job to get such an event like this happening with all the red tape etc. Most of the people working there were volunteers and copped more than their fair share of rude people having a go at them about trivial things that they had no control over. I was one of the marshalls standing out in the 4 degree 20 knot winds doing my best to welcome fly ins with a crappy hand held radio but I didn't complain....Why? because I did it for my love of aviation and my fellow pilots. See you in 2011. :thumb_up:

It really saddens me to see all the negative remarks about the airshow. It is an extremely tough job to get such an event like this happening with all the red tape etc. Most of the people working there were volunteers and copped more than their fair share of rude people having a go at them about trivial things that they had no control over. I was one of the marshalls standing out in the 4 degree 20 knot winds doing my best to welcome fly ins with a crappy hand held radio but I didn't complain....Why? because I did it for my love of aviation and my fellow pilots. See you in 2011. :thumb_up:

Your point is well made Chucky, and I know pilots from down this way who attended and thought it was OK.

HOWEVER ..... if you or the organizers expect attendees to give up 2 or 3 days of their work time + a weekend, be away from family, and spend a couple of thousand dollars flying up and back & accommodating themselves in your town etc you just HAVE to provide them with a reasonable experience ..... or they simply won't come back. The days are gone where the majority will accept second rate facilities and treatment, and if that is their experience then they'll just go and do something else next time it is on if they are not now looking forward to 2011, based on what happened in 2009.

Most of those who attended and have posted the facts & their impressions here went because they love aviation so you aren't Robinson Cruiser on that issue.

I don't recall anything negative being said or posted here after 2007 and I thought that was a great event ..... so something must have gone off the rails a little this year.

And also please bear in mind that the poll and this thread invited attendees to post suggested changes here, so be not too saddened.

Well said Captain - the organisers must take note of the comments and not be too upset. To get the best out of their show they must be aware of the worst, and often they are too close and involved to see the problems as the public see them.

Having read all the posts I would get the overall feeling that people enjoyed the show but would want the negatives addressed if they were to attend another.

I generally enjoyed the show but thought it was no where near as good as 2007.

Will have to think hard about 2011.

Cheers

Bill

Guest Crezzi

I'm sympathetic to your comments Chucky - I've been a volunteer at an airshow so I know how hard they work & how a few **** giving grief can make you wonder why you bother.

However I have to say that marketing the airshow as International is akin to calling a Jabiru a long distance bomber. IMO it didn't even rate as a national event - perhaps Regional would be fair as most of the aircraft were from SEQld.

Don't get me wrong, I was there in 05 so had no expectations of there being anything I hadn't seen before but I had hoped for a bit more of a military presence. 1 PC9 and a Caribou parked up well away from the crowds isn't particularly impressive with Amberley and Oakey not too far away.

I enjoyed myself as I spent time with friends and met some new people - on that basis I can't say I wouldn't go again. But driving there and / or paying $35 to go in - I don't think so.

Cheers

John

Chucky. Thanks for giving up your time. I can only give praise to the volounteers, who were friendly, courteous and did a good job as far as I was concerned.

As far as the show went, I don't think it was as good as 2007, but it was still a good show. I hate to think what the cost was just to get the planes and pilots to Bundy, but from having experience with Old Station airshows I would guess there would be no change from $200,000. Without the volounteers it would be impossible to put on.

I think Crezzi and Captain summed it up perfectly. Thanks for your efforts chucky and all other volunteers but the 2007 airshow was GREAT so the organisers this year need to have a real big look at their efforts and put on a better show in 2011.

As captain said people won't accept a second rate experience twice.

I think that the 2009 airshow was well below parr. the parking and camping grounds were way too far from the show. We had a stand which we paid a lot of money for and could not get our car in, but had to walk 4 ks I think it was discusting and will never go again, Mike

Guest watto

I went and really enjoyed it, I also have spoken to and emailed the organisers as requested in relation to the transport that never arrived and the failure by the council to allow people to camp at the aircraft, I suppose if one of us terrorists got full and flew our own AC into the Bundaberg world trade centre there would be hell to pay!!

My response to the organisers was that things need to be relaxed a little for the fly in crowd and that was my only real critisism of what was a great weekend and as Yenn said the volunteers are fantastic (good on them for being so community minded)

Guest ozzie

Hey Watto maybe you should include this in your email to them

"The Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General have just this week determined that general aviation presents only limited and mostly hypothetical threats to security."

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately no-one can control the weather but apart from the cold wind we did have perfect blue skies.

I found the day dissapointing with, once again the high rollers blocking nearly all the runway from the view of spectators where most of the action would be seen.

I've attended all the Wide Bay Airshow's and nearly all the years at Old Station and as far as spectator involvement and enjoyment with the events and exhibits, Old Station wins hands down, and I know the June long weekend 2010 will be another success for them.

If the Wide Bay Airshow organisers want a truly successful airshow they will have to cater for the masses not the priveleged few.

It will take a lot of convincing for me to attend another one at Bundaberg if the layout stay's the same as this last effort. And the parking, well, if they put it at Burnett Heads, look at the extra exercise we'll all get.

Blackhawk. Are you in the know about Old Station. I havn't been to a meeting for a while but I was under the impression it was to be bi annual from this year, meaning 2011 would be next. I talked to the pres of the club and he didn't seem to know if it was going ahead next year. I will have to look into it, maybe even rejoin the club.