MW Fly Engines

tarnish7

Keith,

Flying Legend will not approve the installation of a Metal Works engine and the one shown on the web site will not fly until a different engine is installed.

Gary

Flying Legend Au

• Informative 1

Keith,Flying Legend will not approve the installation of a Metal Works engine and the one shown on the web site will not fly until a different engine is installed.

Gary

Flying Legend Au

Thanks mate, appreciated. What are the rasons for that stance? Reliability, cost, whatever?

Keith

• 3 months later...

Dear All

I'm Stefano Marella CEO of MWfly srl.

I think that you have wrong information about the application of our engine on the TUCANO, and I'll happy to explain what happen, if you want.

The TUCANO has already flight for few hours, and now we are waiting a special high speed prop design by AIRMASTER for this application.

Best Regards

• Like 1

Mw produce a very inovative high performance engine it is such a shame some people shit can things without proof or evidence .

I have flown with power plant and if anything they under estimate power output as the 150 is delivering some 170 HP

Les Elliott

Australian Dealer

For UL Power and MW Fly

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...

Hi to all members.

I am new at the forum that I came to know thanks to an Australian friend who came for a visit in Tuscany (Italy) last week. I noticed the small discussion on the TUCANO and the MW engine and I am willing to share my personal experience as I consider both products more than excellent.

When I bought a TUCANO +6/-3 I knew I had to install a powerful engine. I tested the TUCANO with a Rotax 130HP (912 + FlyGas Turbo) and it was clear to me it was not sufficient (of course it is my personal opinion).

I LOVE the TUCANO and I consider it, as my pilot friends (few are ex Military Pilots), one of the best aircraft of its category – Flying Legend did a fantastic job, the aircraft is impressive !

I proposed Flying Legend to install an MW-B25R (155 HP) and they accepted. In my opinion the MW was the right solution for the TUCANO even if it required more attention on propellers due to its high torque and power (155HP and double torque of ROTAX 912 !).

First installation was made using an FP propeller especially publicised in Italy for high torque and high power. Unfortunately the HUB appeared to be weak for such powers and could only cope with lower power : after 12 hours of flight I almost lost a blade in flight !

That has been the sole problem (and a very serious one) we have had on the TUCANO and it was clearly not connected to the Aircraft nor the Engine. This has certainly created some worries and Flying Legend and MW recommend intensive testing before considering the combination suitable. This is exactly what I did.

It took some time to find the right propeller and test it, but since then I have had satisfactory testing with a WarpDrive fixed pitch and a variable AirMaster and the engine and the aircraft have worked perfectly well. I am now using an AirMaster Hub (I preferred a variable pitch in flight), I personally consider AirMaster products excellent and very well made plus one of the most professional producer on the market, they are extremely serious and competent.

Since testing has begun this spring I have already flown more than 50 hours without any problem and I am extremely satisfied with the TUCANO and the MW engine, I could not recommend a better solution.

All these experiences took me some time since I am working on a different field and do not have more than a day a week for my aircraft, but I gained a great experience and I can say that the TUCANO is a wonderful aircraft with a very serious company behind, while MW is a fantastic, modern and impressive engine very well studied and MW has been extremely supportive and competent during the quest for a new propeller and all the testing. I will continue improving the aircraft (efficiency, ecc …) but I can already say that I am extremely satisfied by the combination of the three companies involved.

I hope that my experience will be of help to those interested and I am able to share experiences with more technical info on the TUCANO or MW if necessary.

Luigi Ferrando - LUISFLIGHT

TUCANO-MW Owner

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
Hi to all members.I am new at the forum that I came to know thanks to an Australian friend who came for a visit in Tuscany (Italy) last week. I noticed the small discussion on the TUCANO and the MW engine and I am willing to share my personal experience as I consider both products more than excellent.

When I bought a TUCANO +6/-3 I knew I had to install a powerful engine. I tested the TUCANO with a Rotax 130HP (912 + FlyGas Turbo) and it was clear to me it was not sufficient (of course it is my personal opinion).

I LOVE the TUCANO and I consider it, as my pilot friends (few are ex Military Pilots), one of the best aircraft of its category – Flying Legend did a fantastic job, the aircraft is impressive !

I proposed Flying Legend to install an MW-B25R (155 HP) and they accepted. In my opinion the MW was the right solution for the TUCANO even if it required more attention on propellers due to its high torque and power (155HP and double torque of ROTAX 912 !).

First installation was made using an FP propeller especially publicised in Italy for high torque and high power. Unfortunately the HUB appeared to be weak for such powers and could only cope with lower power : after 12 hours of flight I almost lost a blade in flight !

That has been the sole problem (and a very serious one) we have had on the TUCANO and it was clearly not connected to the Aircraft nor the Engine. This has certainly created some worries and Flying Legend and MW recommend intensive testing before considering the combination suitable. This is exactly what I did.

It took some time to find the right propeller and test it, but since then I have had satisfactory testing with a WarpDrive fixed pitch and a variable AirMaster and the engine and the aircraft have worked perfectly well. I am now using an AirMaster Hub (I preferred a variable pitch in flight), I personally consider AirMaster products excellent and very well made plus one of the most professional producer on the market, they are extremely serious and competent.

Since testing has begun this spring I have already flown more than 50 hours without any problem and I am extremely satisfied with the TUCANO and the MW engine, I could not recommend a better solution.

All these experiences took me some time since I am working on a different field and do not have more than a day a week for my aircraft, but I gained a great experience and I can say that the TUCANO is a wonderful aircraft with a very serious company behind, while MW is a fantastic, modern and impressive engine very well studied and MW has been extremely supportive and competent during the quest for a new propeller and all the testing. I will continue improving the aircraft (efficiency, ecc …) but I can already say that I am extremely satisfied by the combination of the three companies involved.

I hope that my experience will be of help to those interested and I am able to share experiences with more technical info on the TUCANO or MW if necessary.

Luigi Ferrando - LUISFLIGHT

TUCANO-MW Owner

Hi Luis, I wrote the original post in this thread looking for feedback on the MW Fly engine. I'm still interested in that, I'm visiting Torino in June and would like to meet and discuss. Can I contact you off forum on that?

Keith

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, I wish I could talk the same languages as you how good and reliable the MW engines are, but this is, and will never be possible for all MW owners in South Africa, not even our Civil aviation authorities who banned the engine to be used in experimental aircraft due to not fit and safe for aviation purposes.

3 engines were imported to South Africa of which 2 was supposed to be build into Sling aircraft and the other engine for the local MW agent. Since 2012 to date, none of these engines are running in a Sling or any aircraft in South Africa due to it's non reliability, numerous gearbox failures and several catastrophic engine failures. One Sling was extensively damaged and the pilot nearly killed with one of the many engine/gearbox failures. The other Sling fitted with an MW B25R, which was mine, brand new with 0 hours and never flew, the engine was taken out and is laying on the hangar floor to feed the spiders and mice. Waiting for more dust to accumulate to plant maize.

Should any-one requires an very cheap boat anchor, you know where to get one.

Worst of all is that MW Fly keeps the owner responsible and accountable for these failures as well as the cost of their so called "UPGRADES", which is directly coupled/related to poor design and development of the MW engine. MW Fly will not, like other engine manufactures admit it's their fault/failure and the repairs will be done under warranty for their own cost, no, the customer must pay for their negligence and poor workmanship.  

In a nutshell, with all the high frequency failures we had with MW engines and ZERO support from MW Fly, we will never recommend these engines to anyone. Comprehensive details of all incidents/failures are available and on record for further legal claims which will follow.

Jan Potgieter, AP, A&P, AMO. 

I think that everybody is free to express himself. so I understand if Mr. Potgieter want to complain about MWFly on this page and want to report his experience. I'm not going to reply to Mr Potgieter on this page because I don't think that anybody is really interested in that type of discussion. I think also that anybody that really want make is own idea about anything should at least listen also other opinion. So I invite anybody that want really make an idea about MWFly engine to come and visit us (if that is possible), everybody is welcome, or to write to me, and then at the end he will be able to decide by himself  if  he agree with Mr. Potgieter o maybe not!

Thank for your attention 

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day all

My experience since August 2012 with the MW B22R engine has not been a "Plug and Play" experience as advertised. For the first three (3) years until 2015, I did 75.1 hours and that was with 5 different engines being changed, 10 gearboxes, 3 different phonic wheel changes (fundamental design changes) and ECU changes.  I experienced 8 engine outs, the last one a failure / broken spider gear cost me my right wing written off and nearly my life.

There was also 3 different engine upgrades and gearbox upgrades. I was notified by the agent that there is NOW 2018/2019 a brand new certified gearbox.  Shouldn't this have already been in place in 2012.  I have been blamed for all the problems and my poor installation, South African conditions, continuous improvements and more upgrading. Why are they still changing on the gearboxes?

If anybody is interested in a second hand upgraded engine - It has been in Italy at MW Fly since 2016 FOR SALE it is available to anyone who is prepared to pay the Cost of Upgrading and the shipping fee - I am personally not continuing with this project.  I have installed a Rotax 912ULS and have done 263 hours with no problems or upgrades, just oil and filter changes.

Regards

Hudson Klerck

Rustenburg

• Informative 1

Of course what Hudson wrote is not even close to the real fact. He had a poor installation he destroy 2 engines by himself, he didn't pay any attention to our reccomandation, to our Service Bulletin, and to our manual. We repair for free two engine, we went to South Africa two time for free. His engine is available in our stock when he will pay what is due!

Regards

Stefano Marella

CEO MWFly

• Informative 1

Oh no, here it starts again, - the owner blaming ritual/culture.

This page is specifically there for aspirant/new and old experienced aircraft builders to communicate with each other, gain information and to share experiences on all aspects of our hobby which we all enjoy.

Aviation Safety is a major, if not the most important aspect for any pilot to keep in mind at all times in Recreational flying. Each and every individual logging onto this forum have the right to form his own opinion on the flow of events on conversations and the factual issues discussed.

It is not my, or anybody else's aim to harm or damage the reputation of any builder, supplier or manufacturer, but here we talk and show proven facts, real guidance and assistance to our fellow aviators. It's every-one's Democratic right to raise his opinion, learn and take in information/guidance from the older/experienced persons.

To re-cap on my previous comments; - For 6 years now, 2012 to end of 2018, there has been NO solution to the failing gearboxes as so called "Upgraded" gearboxes on the MW engines. I do however belief that an "Certified" gearbox was send to our local dealer/agent, Mr. Gianluigi Fincati, to test on his MW B22 R engine, after several failures on his gearboxes as well. He damaged one of the MW Fly's recommended and approved Sensenich propellers with the previous gearboxes.

None of the numerous gearbox repairs that has been done, except 1, which I am aware of, has been repaired under warrantee, and the end users had to pay for the repairs.

You will notice that other end users also replied to this forum on the totally unacceptable high frequency of gearbox breakdowns, including the local MW agent, with an photo album of photos to motivate this issue. The real sad thing is that the end users are made the guilty parties, breaking the gearboxes, and the cherry on the cake is that the end user have to pay for the repairs or "Upgrades" on poor engineering and design for gearboxes, wrong bearings on cranks, wrong spider timing gears etc. These are factory failures which are sold to consumers as "Ready to Fly" engines.

Currently I am waiting for MW Fly to reply on my mail to them, for finding out whether they are going to do all the "Upgrades" to my ZERO hours B25 R engine bought in 2012. The results will be published on this and other forums to proof my point.

In the mean time, take care and be aware.       

• 2 years later...

I see my name mentioned in this forum regarding the MWFLY aviation engine , indeed we experienced many problems in SA with B22R most was related to propeller vibration transmitted into the reduction box , we never had an engine failure , where is the truth ??? lots of mud have been showed at MWFly,  lots of exaggeration was written , lots of false information , lots of poor workmanship as well , lots of incidents without serious consequences fortunately , when requested i will revel the real story , it is long but interesting especially for new home builder , 

cordially 

Gian Luigi Fincati

South Africa  

• Like 1

Hi Kyle, I fly a Texan TC 550 LSA  fitted with a B22R motor , as I mentioned  I had problem with the propeller , now MWFly engine is equipped with a sort of slipper clutch , reports from aviators flying this type of reduction box report satisfactory performance , in short ....all problem related to propeller should be resolved 

Cordially 
Luigi

Like the new MWFly engine...