Throttle Body Injector

Vev

I’m keen to know if anyone out there in Jabiru land has fitted an Throttle Body Injector to replace the Bing on either a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and what was the result... good or bad?

Regards

Jack

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a number of Throttle Body Injectors available on the market... they all make a lot of claims about performace improvements. I did speak to a chap on the weekend who has a Aerocarb fitted to is Sonex, which has 4 cylinder Jab power plant, and said it provided better performance over the Bing.

Keen to hear any opinions or exposure to these TBI's?

AeroConversions Products -- Power to the Sport Pilot!

Ellison Fluid Systems: Home Page

TBI

Regards

Jack

I've read somewhere question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif about a Mitsubishi (Australia) technition 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif fitting a modified Magna Electronic Fuel Injection to his Jabiru :thumb_up: .

I think it was very successful. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Other forum members may have more info.....i_dunno (I think it was in an RAA magazine question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif)

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Throttle body injector.

There would most likely be less pressure drop through it and therefore potential for a slight performance increase. Personally I would leave well alone and not modify an engine which tends to be sensitive to fuel ratio settings. The only improvement that I would contemplate would be going to fuel injection to ensure even mixture to all cylinders. Do you want to be an unpaid test pilot, or enjoy what you have? Nev.

Hi Nev,

I wonder if the Bing is more of a problem regarding fuel mixture sensitivity than the engine … could the Bing be restricting potential performance and durability of a very nice engine.

No not really interested in being anyone’s test pilot, hence the question to see if others knows the answers.

Cheers

Jack

Bing carb.

A lot of work has been put in on that carb and the manifolding. The needle used has the most effect on mixture and the perceived need to get the engine to be more economical caused plenty of problems. It would seem that this has more or less been rectified at the moment with fuel consumption figures going up a little. The current situation with the carb. is "set and forget" . you dont have to play with mixture controls, so that is more suitable to the average user, ( I think). Jabiru's philosophy is to keep it simple. The critical part seems to be the exhaust valves and how they seat. None of these engines run all cylinders at exactly the same mixture. This is a result of the manifolding and is almost impossible to get perfect, unless you inject direct into each port and calibrate, The throttle body injection has the distribution problem too, and if it is fully adjustable, has the potential to get it wrong, hence my comment. I do believe that engine testing should be done on the ground for a fair while before it goes airborne. Nev.