New Thruster ?

Adrian Lewer

Guest aircraft1

There hasnt been a new Thruster for at least 6 years, only second hand ones.

I had a thruster and now have an X-Air - PM me if you want a real comparrison because there is a lot of difference between the 2 planes, thanks Brad

Guest TOSGcentral

Aircraft1 is correct in practical terms (especially the differences between Thrusters and the X-Air, including the Bantam). An important point to note is that the Thruster is a 95.25 certified aircraft so may be used in a flying school and that has a huge impact on re-sale value. The X-Air cannot be used in schools as it is kit built. This is the full story:

• The Oz Thruster factory still exists in principle but does not exist in practice. The Robinson family still hold the Type Certificates and manufacturing approvals. I believe what is left of the factory equipment, a few spares and the records are stored in containers probably near Evans Head.

• New Thrusters are still manufactured in UK by an independent Thruster factory. There are a number of types – T600N (nosewheel), T600T (tailwheel), Sprint T (a sort of equivalent of the fully enclosed T500), Sprint N (Nosewheel version of the Sprint T), and the T600F float/amphibian (still under development). None of these are practical propositions due to the exchange rate and shipping costs.

• The Vision 600N and Vision 600T. These are license built versions of the T600 and were assembled/manufactured in Oz at Orange, NSW. Three T600Ns were imported for development appraisal with a further five in 1999 that were used to set up the factory assembly line and jigs. There were difficulties with CASA and the intended full production did not go ahead.

At the current time (like right now) a project is underway to have the Vision factory revived and both the 600N and 600T go into full production. I am involved with this but I am unable to say more just at the moment. But this will mean that new Thrusters will be available in Oz again even if they are called Visions.

• Swift Project. This was a TOSG initiative to revitalise the Thrusters and was discarded when the Visions came along. When the Visions did not proceed the Swift was resurrected and the first two prototypes are currently under construction in my workshop. Progressive test flying will be proceeding over the coming months and the first complete Swift will be operational before the end of the year (in fact both of them should be unless I have certification delays with the BMW four stroke that is going in one of them).

The Swift is essentially a re-manufactured existing T300 or T500 but considerably enhanced with a 5 stage flapperon system, aerodynamic trimmers, totally enclosed, some geometry changes to tame handling, a lot of drag reduction devices and strengthened to 450 kg MTOW. The aircraft will remain fully certified so will be legal for use in flying schools.

As the Thruster airframe has no fatigue life, plus the strengthening and other work required, the Swift will be as close as you can get to a brand new Thruster. But in addition all of the individual new Swift components will be certified and will fit existing Thruster two seaters. This not only resolves a rather pressing spare parts supply situation but will enable owners to partially improve their own aircraft if they wish.

So in practical terms you cannot buy a new Thruster in Oz – yet! But the devil of a lot of work is going into enabling you to – like it is seven days a week for me and has been for some time.

Aye

Tony

Guest aircraft1

Aircraft1 is correct in practical terms (especially the differences between Thrusters and the X-Air, including the Bantam). An important point to note is that the Thruster is a 95.25 certified aircraft so may be used in a flying school and that has a huge impact on re-sale value. The X-Air cannot be used in schools as it is kit built. This is the full story:

This is not correct, X-Air's are available LSA and they can be used for training, When i brought mine i found the resale value of nearly all the second hand aircraft was the same as the new cost so i went and purchased a new one.

Guest TOSGcentral

Hmmm! Then I willingly stand corrected Aircraft1. I have taken little interest in the LSA stuff as it just seems more complication to what was a relatively simple system.

However, would you advise me please if any X-Airs are being used in schools?

Tony

• 11 years later...