Jab 2200A reliability

cdema

Hi, I'm a new pilot and have acquired an aircraft with a Jab 2200A engine. It has done 316hrs so far and the log books look very thorough.

Just after people's thoughts, experiences, and possible things I may need to be aware of with this engine.

• Like 1

My two cents.... Listen to people who actually own one, not to people who do not own one. I own one 485 hours over 14 years. It's great. For 14 years I've had people bag out Jabiru in front of me. First thing I ask is "So, you own one?" No. "Oh, you fly one?" No. "Oh, you service one?" No. "Oh, you have all the manuals and servicing information on them then? No. "So, you actually have no hands-on experience with them whatsoever do you?" My mate had one, and it was crap! "Yeah, whatever....."

Get onto the Jabiru website and download and print all of the service bulletins and manuals for that serial number engine, and them read them, highlighting things as you go, you'll see them. Keep them in separate A4 folders - Engine Manual, Parts Manual, Service Bulletins, etc. Get organised. And keep a regular eye on the website for updates. You are now the aircraft owner/operator, and you are responsible, whether you can do the work yourself or arrange to have it done. You are responsible. You need to know when things are due to be done. Check your logbook against all the service bulletins and whatnot for that serial number engine. You will no doubt probably find no mention in your logbook about several of them. Treat those as not done, and so do them. For example, two year oil hose and fuel hose life. Will your logbook show that this has been done each two years. If not - what else has not been done?

Enjoy it.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

My Jabiru is now ten years old . Flown and serviced by me alone, with over 450 hours on the tach. My advice would be to change oil regularly. I do it at 20 hours or less, and use Aeroshell multi grade 15/50. I would strongly recommend doing a leak down check to establish what’s really going on inside. Replace oil and fuel hoses and spark plugs. Good quality hoses available at little cost from most auto shops. Check the airframe and service bulletins, they are relatively simple but, if not confident, have it done by someone well recommended ...... Bob

• Like 2

I too fly behind a 2200 Jabiru and agree with everything said in the previous posts. Lovely little engine, lots of Jabirus at Warwick and all the owners swear by them. My plane is a Zenith CH701 and the engine is lighter, simpler and noticeably cheaper than the usual alternative. Just maintain it properly.

• Like 3

I'm quite happy with my 2200A engine. I hand turn the prop to check compressions before each startup, run it cool and change the oil every 25 hours or six months. The AeroShell 100+ gets a dose of Camguard and the AvGas gets a shot of Moreys.

Barrel corrosion is reduced by being inland in dry air, but I squirt a dose of 2 stroke oil into the manifold before shutting down for a long-term storage.

It's a lovable little engine and has given me about 300 hours flying pleasure over the last decade.

The oil pressure gauge shows 350 KPa on cruise. I've been told that's a bit high and may pump up my hydraulic lifters, but so far, so good.

• Like 2

The Aeroshell 100 (Plus) already has the camshaft life saving additive so necessary for Lycomings and helpful for others too.. Use too much zinc and you may have an exhaust valve guide seizure. Otherwise I agree.

General…... IF you have adjustable valves check them regularly and if one is changing make a note of it. A changing valve clearance is not to be ignored. You could have a recessing insert or a stretching valve stem. Pull your engine through regularly to check compressions. Know what is normal "feel" for a good engine.

. When retensioning the head bolts, remove and clean the threads on the two hot ones (one at a time) and then retension. Don't ever run the engine without getting it fully hot. Fly it regularly. It takes about 40 minutes to get temperature stabilized. Read all the Jabiru stuff of the period. from the maker.. Nev

• Like 1

The Aeroshell 100 (Plus) already has the camshaft life saving additive so necessary for Lycomings and helpful for others too...

Unfortunately Nev, there's very little agreement about additives. The engine maker doesn't like them, oil companies don't either. I asked a well-respected LAME who tested AeroShell 100+ for the factory and he endorsed adding Cam-guard

When a manufacturer for a controlled product that has a maintenance release has a specific additive already there for the problem I would see it as unlikely to be required and perhaps risky . I've had personal experience of what I have described on multiple occasions caused by the use of too much zinc in a certain product and on making more extensive enquiries found a lot of others had had a similar experience with it as well. This is in a non aero situation but the situation it was operating in was similar temps and load. materials and fuel. . When it happens it will let you know.. . I could sit here and not mention it, but thought that might not be the most responsible thing to do.. Nev

• Like 1

When a manufacturer for a controlled product that has a maintenance release has a specific additive already there for the problem I would see it as unlikely to be required and perhaps risky...

What additive has Jabiru recommended?

... too much zinc in a certain product...

Does Camgard contain zinc?

What additive has Jabiru recommended?

Does Camgard contain zinc?

Jabiru recomends no additives.

Ring them up and ask. After all, they designed, built and tested the motor.

• Like 1

My comment about talking to others about Jab engines are identical to 440032.

I have a generation 3 3300A in my home built & it is brilliant. I imagine the engine will far outlive me based on the hours I do annually. I use Aeroshell W100+ (doesn't get cold enough for multigrade) & change oil & the filter every 25 hours. Cost is $45.00. I run it on Mogas 98. Top speed at 3300 rpm is 140 knots plus. Cruise around 120 at 2850- 2900 rpm. Climbs 1 up at 1500 fpm at 80 knots. Fuel consumption averages 19-20 lph & I don't need any oil topup between changes. The 2200 is identical to the 3300 with 2 pots lopped off so 80 HP instead of 120 HP so cheaper to feed & maintain. Follow the maintenance manual to the letter & you will have no problems. There were some issues with overheating in early Jabs, mainly poor air flow. I paid a lot of attention to this during my build & the engine always runs cool. Pull the prop through 2 full compressions before the first start of the day to feel for any softness. If a cylinder feels a bit soft do a leakdown check.

The local flying school has 2 Jabs with 2200A engines. They are now on the second engine in the J170. The top end was done at 1000 hours & at 2000 hours they put in a new engine because at $14,000 it was cheaper than an overhaul.

• Like 3

The Aeroshell 100 (Plus) already has the camshaft life saving additive...

Yes Nev, but what additive? From what I've heard and seen of Camguard it might be superior to others in combating corrosion of my steel bores.

Jabiru recomends no additives.

Ring them up and ask. After all, they designed, built and tested the motor.

True, but I have to balance that against the fact that not all of us can follow Jabiru's advice to run our engines often and hard.

My engine sometimes sits for months unused. The major reason I put in Moreys and CamGuard is to reduce corrosion.

• 4 weeks later...

Jabiru and others all use the std oil available and when the engine is used as they expect no problem

They expect regular usage to keep bores clean and rust free. Have a look at the inhibiting proceedure for stand down periods over xxx weeks

Reality is many raa aircraft sit around far more than this uninhibited and Moreys and Camgard are an effort to fight bore corrosion (and cam etc) which is a huge underlying problem in Jabiru engines

CAE developed a fitted inhibiting system they saw the issue as significant

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I would genuinely consider the W 100 PLUS as adequate. I'm cautious of additives and certainly don't like doubling up on them Lycomings are notorious for cam and follower corrosion and spalling as the camshaft is up in the top of the engine where condensation happens and not a lot of oil gets. That's why 100 PLUS was produced. It HAS to help the bores also with the same additive. The best thing for little used engines with steel bores is to inhibit them somehow and certainly NEVER run one briefly and then leave it for any time. When you use a motor get it thoroughly hot all through Not just the heads. Never run the engine other than briefly with the cowl off . I don't believe that running your engine flat out is any great help as height reduces the max output anyhow and engines in South Africa where they do get altitudes have had a better run mainly because they don't get overheated as much as at sea level due to reduced output. (and cooler air (relatively). Bore glazing is rife with steel bores if they aren't nitrided. Perhaps an over capable oil ring helps cause this.. Nev

I use Aeroshell W100 plus for the reasons mentioned & then looked up the details. It is not much more expensive than the standard W100. My last case was about $10.00 a quart. I assume it works as stated on the tin but I rarely go more than a few days without flying, other than when there is a run of really bad weather or I am away somewhere.

I've never used anything else but have never owned a Jabiru engine aircraft . Flown plenty and as far as I know that's what was used in them. Other brands will/should meet the same specs. Your oil should make 85 degrees C in flight.. Too cold and it will get cloudy. Nev