Oleo strut nose wheel shimmy

R610

I had shimmy on my nose wheel ( vans rv12 )  eventually found one bearing to be notchy  you couldnt feel any problem until the axle was removed and each bearing rotated separately 

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
HiI'm wondering if any Brumby high or low wing owners with oleo strut have had any nose wheel shimmy issues?

Thanks.

George

650 hrs on my high wing and no sign of nosewheel shimmy. I keep taxy speeds to <20 kts, and, on landing, never allow the nosewheel onto the ground until I run out of elevator. On take-off, I lift the weight off the nosewheel very early, and allow the aircraft to accelerate on the mains until its' ready to liftoff. Technique can save your nosewheel a lot of injury.

Check your tyre for out of round, inflation, and wheel bearings too. There are adjustments for the damper, and you should talk to your LAME.

happy days,

It's surprising shimmy isn't more of a problem than it is. A tendency to do it is always present.. A damper is the answer set up correctly. Keep the weight off the nosewheel as poteroo says. Nosewheels are not designed to take a high% of the aircraft's weight, and the aircraft is directionally unstable when that situation exists. A shimmying wheel can impose a lot of load. It happens to tailwheels too. Nev

Thanks Poteroo. . . .SIR.

I used to hire a Grumman AA5B from YMMB ( That's Moorabbin if I've got the code wrong ! ) in the 1970s . .it had terrible Nosewheel Shimmy on landing. . ( Shake yer dentures out severity ).I adopted the 'Hold the barstard Nosewheel orf the deck' until I ran out of back stick too. . .

The odd thing was, that when I mentioned this to maintenence, and an engineer flew with me,. . .It refused to present itself. . only when I was flying it solo.. . .The 'Keep it off the ground' technique was used every time thereafter. ( I think I'd been flying taildraggers too long. . .)

I used to regularly hire a Beechcraft Sundowner from the same place, but one night, one of the instructors had a major blue with his Ladyfriend, got ratar$ed. and proceeded to fly aerobatics at night,. . .seriously bending the airframe and flying around below the level of the tall buildings in Melbourne city centre. . . can't recall his name, but some of you old blokes may remember the incident. . . he landed it safely but the machine as a write off.( Mid 1970s. . .) DCA removed his licence,. . .wot a surprise. . .

Hence my changeover to the Grumman. . .2 circuit checkride at Moorabbin ? ?

On another tack entirely. . .my Favourite aircraft on the 'Hire' line at Berwick, was an Aerosubaru Fuji FA200/180 . . . VH-FJL if I remember correctly. . .Lovely thing to fly, Constant speed prop, four seats, but only Two for limited aerobatics. . . I carried out Dozens of spins in that machine, which removed my dread fear of spinning a metal aircraft. . .( I'd done these for years on Tiggers in the UK - very relaxing. . .) Sliding canopy and very nice to fly generally, ie no apparent nasty habits.. . . and at $19.50 per hour wet,. . rather affordable too !

Memories. . . .

What could I buy nowadays in Australia for $19.50 I wonder ( Now keep it clean - family site )

Out of curiosity I looked up one of the “what is $x worth now” calculators.

And using 1975 as the comparitor year your $19.50 is actually now same as anywhere from $140 to $500.

Depends on what comparison gets used.

If you just use CPIs it’s low end. But if you use real world stuff like comparing wages and other stuff they called purchase power and other similar terms it’s at the top end.

So in fact it may be comparatively cheaper today to hire an aircraft.

How many hours for the median weeks wages, is the best comparo. I suggest it's never been cheaper in real terms. In 1963 my weeks wages gave me about 1.5 hours flying in a single. A Church mouse was richer than me. Come to think of it, nothing's changed much. but it was OK in the middle for a while.. Nev