Parkes local knowledge required

ClintonB

Are there any flying members based in Parkes able to give me a pilots opinion on smoke haze in the area. I need to fly VFR down to do a job there in the next 2 weeks or so. If you could pm me with contact details so I could maybe give you a call the day before to get an opinion on conditions it would be appreciated, it may be on a Saturday when I get to leave.

cheers

clinton

thanks,

I am going to use every resource I can find, I had a little encounter with smoke a few weeks ago which was scary- I didn't even make it out of the control zone and requested to turn back due to decreasing vis. .

cheers

clinton

Here’s the current TAF for YORG as an example:

TAF AMD YORG 120718Z 1208/1220

21015G20KT 8000 SMOKE NSC

FM120900 09009KT 2000 SMOKE NSC

FM121400 06005KT 2000 SMOKE SCT010

PROB30 1209/1214 0500 SMOKE BKN010

RMK

T 24 17 13 11 Q 1014 1016 1016 1015

Here’s the current TAF for YORG as an example:

TAF AMD YORG 120718Z 1208/1220

21015G20KT 8000 SMOKE NSC

FM120900 09009KT 2000 SMOKE NSC

FM121400 06005KT 2000 SMOKE SCT010

PROB30 1209/1214 0500 SMOKE BKN010

RMK

T 24 17 13 11 Q 1014 1016 1016 1015

All good & true BUT nothing like an eyeball report from an acknowledged expert who actually lives in the area.

• Like 1

Just had a look at the camera and appears very murky. Suggest you check the before deciding and after you get the latest wx.

Just throwing this out here for those folks that don't know about the weather cameras as it'll come up in a search: Here's the Parkes one

And click HERE for the listing of those volunteer cameras available at airports nationwide. And there are the AirServices Cameras available as well.

• Informative 1

Just throwing this out here for those folks that don't know about the weather cameras as it'll come up in a search: Here's the Parkes one

And click HERE for the listing of those volunteer cameras available at airports nationwide. And there are the AirServices Cameras available as well.

All on OzRunways !! BUT you don get all the views at once the way you do on your refernce

• Agree 2

Cameras on the day I turned back showed all clear at Armidale, and view from Tamworth was ok. It was once I climbed into the smoke above the range it got worse, what looked blue above me was just too high up to clear. Forward and below just went white in and instant. The eyeball on the ground is what I will be looking for, but the way it’s going, I will probably have to drive. All because no closer business wants to help this customer out.

i was looking forward to going somewhere new.

clinton

As Pilot In Command you made the correct decision.

My son & I went to look at the fire situation two days ago - had to climb to about 4500 ft to get over the smoke. Smooth a silk & crystal clear at 6500.  No view though, the Great Divide & all of Sydney Basin completely obscured.

• Informative 1