Plane Resurrection

Just discovered this show on Netflix - worth a look!  

First episode shows the restoration of a P-51D, second (which I'm watching now) is about a Hurricane.

good to see the planes but they should stick to the plane itself, there's enough subject matter there ....................... rather than waffling on that hitler had one leg shorter than the other (there's a lot of space filled up by archive footage) 

good to see the planes but they should stick to the plane itself, there's enough subject matter there ....................... rather than waffling on that hitler had one leg shorter than the other (there's a lot of space filled up by archive footage) 

I've watched 4 or 5 now, they seem to concentrate on one bloke in particular - Hammond (the short rotund engineer).  He was the owner of the Mustang, he worked on the Hurricane, he did the Harvard that his daughter flies.  I reckon someone thought he'd make a good subject for a documentary but they've padded it out to a series.

One of the first programs was about the building of a Fokker DR 111 from original plans. The build was done in England, and I think this is an English series. Although it is probably a bit technically light for the likes of us, it at least doesn't have the stupid aggressive interpersonal crap and the race to the deadline that American build/restoration shows have.

I always wish that these docos would spend more time inside the cockpit and/or passenger cabins, as well as some video shot from the pilot's seat during the flying of the planes.  

One of the first programs was about the building of a Fokker DR 111 from original plans. The build was done in England, and I think this is an English series. Although it is probably a bit technically light for the likes of us, it at least doesn't have the stupid aggressive interpersonal crap and the race to the deadline that American build/restoration shows have.I always wish that these docos would spend more time inside the cockpit and/or passenger cabins, as well as some video shot from the pilot's seat during the flying of the planes.  

I thought the German doctor was funny.  Even bought his own title so he could be a Baron too.

• 2 weeks later...

You see, no one ever expects the Director of the series to turn up in the discussion thread do they. Do you know how much licensing archive costs lol, it would be much cheaper to use all new footage I can assure you!, but we have to make these programmes for broadcasters who have a broad market audience, so they have material in there for context, not for padding. I hope you'll like series 2, it's mostly filmed in the USA and does indeed have a bunch of cockpit footage, oh and a P51C / F16 two ship. And a B17, B24, B25, B29 and a Lanc...

I thought the German doctor was funny.  Even bought his own title so he could be a Baron too.

One day I'll tell the back story to some of the filming with Peter Bruggemann. Talented, clever and unintentional funny.