PNG C208 runway overrun Enga prov. (nobody hurt)

That's the second MAF one in a month. I wonder did the pilots thank God for being saved or wonder why he failed in his duty of care by allowing them to crash. The MAF mob flying for Jeezuz must not be training the sprogs like they used to. "Minor" damages? Close to 500k if there is not too much damage to the port wing.

• Like 1

Interesting 3 minute video explaining, amongst other things, how the new 208 fleet will be good for all them short fields

Many of the strips that MAF operates into are shorter than what the 'normal' manufacturers POH allows for. PNG has always had its' own 'P' charts for each aircraft type. In any event, 'short' is relative - it's the slope which generally dictates your landing and take-off requirements.

Accidents will continue in PNG because the weather hasn't changed from being marginal, the valleys are no wider, the ranges are no lower, and the gaps are still as hard to negotiate.

That's the second MAF one in a month. I wonder did the pilots thank God for being saved or wonder why he failed in his duty of care by allowing them to crash. The MAF mob flying for Jeezuz must not be training the sprogs like they used to. "Minor" damages? Close to 500k if there is not too much damage to the port wing.

MAF have always operated with a sound local training system. They hold a full charter licence and operate to the same standards as other charter operators. The big problem is that the purely 'mission' strips are not necessarily to 'commercial' standard, but those ops were, (if I remember clearly), flown as private ops and so avoided the commercial category limitations. They used to do their basic training at Ballarat, but these days it might actually be done at Mt Hagen, their primary base in PNG. In which case, the junior pilots should be better equipped than their predecessors. Given the cost of their Caravans, you'd think that they would be even more cautious with selection and training?

happy days,

Guest Machtuk

High risk = high chances of accidents! I've been in to the main dromes of PNG, nasty looking place down there amongst those valleys!