Prop danger

Thruster88

While most recreational aircraft do not have impulse couplings on the magnetoes this is a good reminder to always treat the prop as live. Good story as to how it actually happened.

When I was learning to fly around 1980 I was taught how to swing a prop.  Safety and getting out of its way were important.  Prop swinging does not seem to be taught these days.  I have needed to start my engine several times, the guys doing it for me were much younger than me.  I had to teach them.  It took 5 minutes.  

The thumbnail from the second vid was enough for me...... couldn't bring myself to watch the vid to be honest....

Know how you feel, but that was probably enough, however there was no carnage shown. The Pilot flies a Lear 45 professionally and owns a C177.

Had a problem starting, set Mags off, throttle to idle..........but left the mixture rich. On the second pull-through the prop went off and got him under the arm several times.

He stuffed a bunch of paper towels unde his arm because he had a pickup to do in the Lear, but changed his mind and got medical attention.

He now does a Mag grounding check every time before shutdown.