Radio Follies

The manager of our Airfield presented me with a Hand Held radio last weekend,. . . as soon as the wx was good enough for flying and the field had dried out !  It is an ICOM ICA6E 8.33 Khz compliant unit.   Now superseded by the A25 series, but they got it at a good price !   I asked if there was a wall charger with it, and they said there was a 'charger' . . NO, that was a Battery eliminator, to RUN the unit if the battery had discharged, which both of them had. . .I explained that connecting this to a car battery, would not charge the battery on the rig, as it was a Lithium ion which required a current limited pulse charger,. . .which meant that I would be tied to a big auto battery and not able to walk around the site with the radio. . .

Eyes glazing over,. . have you ever tried explaining a pair of scissors to a Martian over the phone ?. . .   anyway, Manager is going to Sun N Fun in Florida this weekend and left me a message saying that he'd buy a charger there. . .  Er, don't the Yanks use 110 Volts mains supply ?  \He said that we would have to buy a travel plug to use it in the UK,  but I don't know about the voltage Oh well,. . at least he's trying. . . . 

All may not be lost Phil. Most chargers these days are international. They usually will work on anything from 110 to 240V. iCom are a pretty savvy company so your martian may yet find a pair of scissors!