Rasberry Pi ADS-B receiver experiences?

G'day,

I've been drooling over one of these for a while :

http://stratux.me/ which is a rasberry pi ADS-B receiver that works with Avplan (and just about every other EFB) - I haven't splashed for one yet, wondering if anyone here has and has any experience to share?

These guys do a kit, but they seem to be out of stock :

http://www.vilros.com/vilros-raspberry-pi-aviation-weather-traffic-receiver-kit-includes-raspberry-pi-3-mini-ads-b-receiver-set-micro-sd-card-pre-loaded-with-stratux-software-more.html

There's Australian rasberry pi distributors too, who have stock, anyone here played with any of this stuff? Where'd you get it? What'd you do to make it work etc etc

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made several of the Ozrunways versions for people including myself. They work very well. Element14 in Sydney have the raspberry Pi and the tv dongle and wifi dongle were off ebay. All work very well.

• Agree 1

just starting playing with raspberry pi for a commercial application, impressed so far. Since I have one here and since I need to get intimately familiar with it I might have a crack at making one of the ADS-b receivers.

BTW, I just received altronics junk mail in the mail,a nd I noticed they are stocking rasberry pi 3 for $80. Not the cheapest in town but if you need one straight away.

Built a couple of them and they both worked. However what i found in flight was that the cables were a pain, as is any external wiring in the cockpit.

Only Aerial and power but still a pain. Earlier RPI S had issues with overwriting code at shutdown, i hope they have sorted this out by now. As a side issue i also find the RPI a confused beast, powerfull but restricted in many ways because the ports are not always full words or bytes wide.

Ps used ozrwys software and from inside my workshop at near sea level it had a range of around 30 knm. Trimmed and adjusted the aerial length to get what seemed the best result. But for all practical purposes you need not do this , you will get sufficient performance once in the air.

Since it's wifi you don't need it in the front of the plane.

I've found my wifi signal drops-out from my iPad unless the Raspberry Pi is in rather close proximity to the unit. I'm not sure of the reason for this. Otherwise the unit works fine.

• 1 year later...

I was just searching OzRwys and came across their webpage on building your own ADSB Rx that works with Android OzRWYs.

ADS-Pi: Low-Cost ADS-B IN for OzRunways

It appears the four main 'Ingredients' can be bought for about $85.00

I certainly like the idea of picking up all aircraft near me so I can look out for them in a timely manner and avoid.

Out of interest.....Practically how many other local aircraft are these picking up over the normal OZRWYs Traffic info, (Apart from Airline Traffic).

I would assume most light GA aircraft and all LSA would not have ADSB-Out

I was just searching OzRwys and came across their webpage on building your own ADSB Rx that works with Android OzRWYs.ADS-Pi: Low-Cost ADS-B IN for OzRunways

It appears the four main 'Ingredients' can be bought for about $85.00

I certainly like the idea of picking up all aircraft near me so I can look out for them in a timely manner and avoid.

Out of interest.....Practically how many other local aircraft are these picking up over the normal OZRWYs Traffic info, (Apart from Airline Traffic).

I would assume most light GA aircraft and all LSA would not have ADSB-Out

For some years now, I've used their ADS-Pi ADSB-in gadget with OzRunways (on an iPad).

Just today I was on a local Melbourne & coastal flight tracking north over French Island past Tooradin when I had an ADSB "paint" appear on climb 5nm ahead crossing my track. I enjoyed having the situational awareness to radio the Sikorsky using his rego from the "paint", and coordinate safe clearance (even though I didn't have him visually to start with). Knowing where to look, having his rego and changing altitude made seeing him much easier and straightforward. I'm very happy to have this facility.

In general, I see some paints on OzRunways, some on AvPlan (yes I have & broadcast that too), and some GA via ADSB - all in about equal measure. Note that there is a small lag on the software based "paints" so look ahead of their apparent track to find intersecting traffic.

One mustn't be complacent though, as not everyone has ADSB-out (nor OzRunways/AvPlan for that matter). It always pays to keep your head out of the cockpit and keep your radio on nearby CTAF's (+ area freq.).

I hope this helps.

Dave

I'm interested in building one of these gadgets for ozrunways.

Would it be fair to say that what I'm seeing on flightradar24 would be added to my ozrwy display or is there more or less?

In general, I see some paints on OzRunways, some on AvPlan (yes I have & broadcast that too), and some GA via ADSB - all in about equal measure. Note that there is a small lag on the software based "paints" so look ahead of their apparent track to find intersecting traffic.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Interesting you get equal 'paints' from GA. Are they more Commercial GA, or Private GA ops.

Cheers.

purchased FlightBox ADS-B receiver with external gps from usaself assembly of rasberry pi card and1090 recever

work great works with avplan

I see they are about $150USD plus postage.

It appears they require a box with a fan to cool the electronics. As they say, most are placed on the aircrafts dash.

The worst place they could be.

So I would need a box with a PC fan as well.

Thanks for the info.

purchased FlightBox ADS-B receiver with external gps from usaself assembly of rasberry pi card and1090 recever

work great works with avplan

Why did you buy an External GPS with it.

Isn't your Tablets GPS OK, or do you fly out the Outback regularly?

Cheers.

Interesting you get equal 'paints' from GA. Are they more Commercial GA, or Private GA ops.Cheers.

That's hard to say, really.

To be clear, my comment about "equal paints" excluded RPT paints which are numerous around Melbourne (showing up with flight ID). The remaining paints I see are alternatly a mix of OzRunways + ADSB in, - or AvPlan + ADSB in (depending on which tablet software I'm currently viewing).

The GA (ADSB in) paints show rego and altitude info, but I'm not sure how I'd differentiate commercial vs. private just from the rego.

Clearly it would all be easier and cheaper if OzRunways and AvPlan shared traffic data, but one of the two doesn't want to cooperate, so I'm told.

I tried to mention this at a CASA safety meeting a few weeks ago ( an amalgamation of sources). I was pretty much stone walled from the moment I opened my mouth....... I'm starting to see personally the difficulty people have in dealing with CASA.

• Informative 1

I tried to mention this at a CASA safety meeting a few weeks ago ( an amalgamation of sources). I was pretty much stone walled from the moment I opened my mouth....... I'm starting to see personally the difficulty people have in dealing with CASA.

Unsurprising.

Airservices Australia could possibly act as a neutral third party and integrate software paints from both OzRunways and AvPlan, returning combined traffic data to each app developer + ADSB data from their own Airservices servers & radar. No need for a Raspberry Pi receiver that way - and just one app, too!

Yes I know that's unlikely, but I'm an idealist, I suppose...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Airservices Australia could possibly act as a neutral third party and integrate software paints from both OzRunways and AvPlan, returning combined traffic data to each app developer + ADSB data from their own Airservices servers & radar. No need for a Raspberry Pi receiver that way - and just one app, too!

Yes! I was thinking along the same lines. A 3rd party to "sanitze" the data.

It really needs CASA to push it along.

I can't believe the total lack of interest in EFB's from the CASA rep. It was almost like they were a useless "gimmick" to him.

Yes! I was thinking along the same lines. A 3rd party to "sanitze" the data.It really needs CASA to push it along.

I can't believe the total lack of interest in EFB's from the CASA rep. It was almost like they were a useless "gimmick" to him.

Probably because CASA didn't come up with it. Could also be the typical "fear of anything new" syndrome, too. God forbid anyone actually develop something that advances aviation safety and have a regulator embrace it, like Garmin and Dynon did with their ADS-B sources - oh wait.......
  • Agree 1

Id suggest they dont want to broadcast location data from Ipads internal GPS for people to use for separation. Let alone the spurious or plain errors that could be in the data

What percentage of Aircraft would have ADSB out fitted - Id have thought pretty small.

I've been thinking about this for a while now but have been busy. When I'd first looked all I saw was large cumbersome setups and so didn't look much further.

This looks like a reasonable setup and it's a shame Vilros is out of stock as they had when you looked at all their items a discounted kit for $59.

I love playing with this sort of stuff so I think I'll look a bit more.

One question though is what's the advantage of the dual channel setup?

Id suggest they dont want to broadcast location data from Ipads internal GPS for people to use for separation. Let alone the spurious or plain errors that could be in the dataWhat percentage of Aircraft would have ADSB out fitted - Id have thought pretty small.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting Airservices Australia broadcast anything of the sort. Each iPad EFB already "broadcasts" position & ID data (via the mobile phone network where signal is available) back to each software EFB app developer. In turn the software developer (OzRunways & AvPlan) returns this traffic data to their respective clients via the mobile phone network - but they won't agree to share this data with each-other (probably for corporate reasons).

Airservices already have their own ADSB data received from aircraft transponders (but not the data from OzRunways or AvPlan yet). I'm suggesting Airservices Australia facilitate a service by integrating their own ADSB data directly from aircraft transponders, together with the traffic data shared from each of the software developers (AvPlan & OzRunways). Then Airservices could share the integrated three sources of traffic data back (via the internet) to both software developers equally, for them to return collective data back to their respective EFB clients via the mobile phone network. That way, traffic data from ADSB, AvPlan & OzRunways gets to both EFB client's iPads without needing a Raspberry Pi ADSB-in receiver gadget in each aircraft (nor multiple EFB software on the iPad).

Caveat: Aviators must always understand that they aren't seeing everything on the iPad, and many non-ADSB aircraft are always out there, so keep a good eye out anyway. However if you do see a "paint" it is just an extra alert for a pilot to be especially vigilant. It suggests where to look, and what rego & altitude is involved. You can reasonably trust a "paint" to be something to look out for. You can't trust the absence of a "paint" to mean it is all clear.

Having said that, I'd always prefer a false positive paint to nothing at all. It is all about adding to situational awareness, NOT "wannabe" ATC & IFR by software!

Could also be the typical "fear of anything new" syndrome, too.

Yes, I got that impression.

"We want safer aviation be we're not prepared to endorse or try anything new!"........Oh the irony....

All the system needs to do is prompt a radio call.

It is not perfect system but I believe the skies are safer than being without it.

There seems to be an obscure attitude from some, that because it is not certified, not tested for 10 years and not costing a million dollars that it is useless and pointless.

My response is that it doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect but simply be better than the existing system in a cost effective manner.

What percentage of Aircraft would have ADSB out fitted - Id have thought pretty small.

Yes but the ones that do are generally commercial. Faster rpt, fly doc, rescue heli/acft, jump planes etc.

All the ones that a rec pilot really want to avoid...