Recommended Airfields to rent an RAA type aircraft in Sydney area please?

Clive J

Moving down from QLD today and wondering if that 500' VFR route past Sydney harbor is OK for RAA aircraft?

Got my cert at Redcliffe so good to go if I can find a club/school to rent from.

Regards, Clive

Jab/RV pilot from UK

Great thanks, I'll try those. In the UK you would have to fly below 500" with a margin so 400'.

I believe here 500' itself would be acceptable, certainly I was flying over Redcliffe at 1500' and the D airspace above was from 1500' upwards.

Sensible approach. In the UK they would have you at 1501' indicated.

Hi While on the topic of rental place and flight school. I am from Kenya, where I own a Savannah S. I am coming to the Mornington Peninsula area in April, then to Brisbane/Maloolaba area. Will you know any place I could convert my US/Kenya PPL in a LSA licence. Thanks

Soar or Sydney Flying Academy at Bankstown. You will need a CASA Licence as well as your RPC as YSBK is Class D. If you do have a RPL/PPL/CPL it might be easier to hire a GA plane from, say, SFC (Sydney Flying Club) as their rate for a PA28 is about the same price as a Foxbat from Soar.

Hi While on the topic of rental place and flight school. I am from Kenya, where I own a Savannah S. I am coming to the Mornington Peninsula area in April, then to Brisbane/Maloolaba area. Will you know any place I could convert my US/Kenya PPL in a LSA licence. Thanks

Michel

There are good options at Caloundra (the closest GA field to Mooloolaba):

- Inspire Aviation (Texan, Sierra)

- GoFly Aviation (mainly Sling 2s)

- ProSky Aviation (Texan, Golf)

There are a couple of good schools at Caboolture also:

- Strike Avation (Tecnam P92s, Foxbat, Texan)

- Caboolture Recreational Aviation (Bill has a Savannah on line, Jabiru, Foxbat)

Good luck!

Victor one is a Hoot!! Make sure you study the VTC and the ERSA before you go lots of Airspace traps!!! Also, be prepared for a very busy listening out on the Comm

Peninsula Aero Club at Tyabb (Mornington Peninsula) would be worth chatting to.

Thank you very much for all the answers. Looks like Tyaab and Caloundra are the easiest from where I will be. Looks like QLD has more activity or schools. Weather related I guess. Dont they say you get 4 seasons in one day in Victoria ;-) Best regards Michel

If you want good weather and an excellent school, come and see Secure Air at SHEPPARTON. March-May north of the Great Divide is a great time with stable weather patterns

If you want good weather and an excellent school, come and see Secure Air at SHEPPARTON. March-May north of the Great Divide is a great time with stable weather patterns

Thanks Kaz, I will keep this in mind, for another year. Corona is keeping me grounded now :-( no trip to OZ this year...

Wedderburn is still very active , although its very much a private airfield and the members there want it to remain so . I know of instructors who have aircraft based there , but there is no training conducted from there , the instructors relocate their aeroplanes elsewhere to instruct upon .

What about Wedderburn? Used to be lots of activity there a few years ago, be surprised if there was nobody training there.

The new International Airport at Badgerys Creek supposedly will be operational in 2026 and No RAA aircraft will be flying in the Sydney Basin then , maybe try at Wilton with the sky divers (meat bombs) , I heard that they are moving their operation to Jaspers Brush Airfield in the near future . Good luck and if you find an airfield close by near Sydney let me know because it will affect me to .