Rotax 912 Oil Pressure Gauge

I have been looking for an oil pressure gauge for my new 912.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion so this is what I have so far:

Some time ago (2014/15?) Rotax shifted from VDO type oil pressure sensors to a Honeywell sensor, then to the BRP456180 sensor.

These latter two sensors put out a 4 to 20mA signal (which is an industry standard for analog signals) and measure approx 0 to 10bar (0 to 145psi).

(They also changed the thread type where the sensor goes in, but I won't go into that here).

This signal is different to the VDO sensors, so the VDO type gauge will not work with these latter sensors.

AircraftSpruce have a gauge Part # 15-06649 which works with the new sensors. However, it says it is 57mm (2 1/4") in one part of the description, and 52mm in another part, so I am trying to verify which it is.

This may be the same gauge as Aviasport Milan S A have on their site as the IM 545, in which case it is just what we are looking for and only 74Euros.

But they Wanted another 95Euros P&P to send me one.

AircraftSpruce also show the Swift Part # 10-06335 which according to the specs would do the job, but is shown as out of stock.

In many hours searching plus emails and telephone calls, these are the only 2 1/4" 0-20mA 0-10bar gauges I have been able to locate.

I would welcome any other leads or suggestions.

Thanks

Hi IBob

This seems to be an oft repeated topic - just to give you a "left field" option:

I use Speco gauges. Cheaper than VDO, readily available through a number of automotive outlets (I use Bursons however Repco also sell them). My oil pressure gauge started to give erronious readings at about 700 + hrs - replaced sender/sensor and gauge. My other Speco gauges , oil & coolant temp, fuel pressure & voltage are all still functioning just fine.

Take home message - VDO and aircraft parts outlets are not the only suppliers of engine gauges (for non certified aircraft). I have no experience of VDO in my aircraft however this forum has many threads regarding problems with the oil pressure sensor/gauges from this supplier.

ALSO;

In the unlikely event you might need one - I have a brand new/ unused/ still in packet, VDO oil sensor Part No 360.003 that you can have- make me an offer.

Having "dodgy" indications is in itself a danger . I'm a bit inclined to go back to the capillary tube a to a mechanical "Bourdon tube " instrument. As long as the pipe doesn't break near the engine. A good quality flexible pipe there should be OK and works without electrics. When I look back on various cars I've had sender problems, (leaking and failing) were common.  Nev.

Hi Bob

Been talking to Steve..he sent me this

He also told me the oil pressure was never supplied in the kit. It was always supplied with the engine when it was purchased new. I think you bought a second hand engine. Maybe who you got the engine from may have the original gauge

IMG_0076.jpg.pdf

IMG_0075.jpg.pdf

IMG_0076.jpg.pdf

IMG_0075.jpg.pdf

Nev

I note in a lot of threads I had been researching about my oil pressure fluctuation issue I had they all said to put the oil tube type in to check while on the ground but all recommended NOT to leave it like that as standard in the aircraft

Thanks Skippy and Mark and Facthunter. I'll add all that to the mix.

The engine came from Floods via the local agent.

Floods say they have no gauges to sell.

Other new engines are turning up here without gauges.

So either someone is harvesting them along the way or they're not in the boxes to start with?

That would make sense: Perry got kit and engine at the same time, I think, and so far as I can make out, his gauge was with the engine.

There's supposed to be one with the kit.....but let's not go there!

Thank Steve for the info, Mark.

It clarifies things to know that Reg ordered and supplied the gauge with the engine.

I notice that the jpgs show the IM 542, which is 2", so that would explain 2" gauges turning up.

The one I'm wanting (apparently) is the IM545, which is 2 1/4"...because I have a row of precut holes with 2 1/4" instruments in 'em...

Bob

If the freight cost from Spruce is too high I can get my mate to bring it back with him he regularly travels to and from the USA...he works for Qantas and I can send it to you from here which would be much cheaper. Its AUS$29 to send in a express post tracked door to door back from here

Thanks for the offer, Mark, I really appreciate it.

I spoke with the Rotax agent I sourced the engine through, he's going to include the indicated Aviasport gauge in a routine order from AircraftSpruce on Monday.  So I wont get stung for freight etc, but I will be paying his margin and GST.  I'll stick with that now I've set it in motion.

I did contact the Australian ICP agent, as you suggested, ended up talking with him, and have emailed him the Aviasport Milan and AircraftSpruce info for his future reference.

Cant say I have any great experience regarding supply of  new Rotax engines direct from Rotax or agent - however I think it unlikely Rotax supplied any gauges. Aircraft kit suppliers will often offer variose gauges etc as options with their kit.

You have no option with a new rotax it has the later Keller style oil pressure sender. WE dont buy the engine from ICP as Floods kicked up a stink about it many years ago so I am told Unless of course you buy a factory built then ICP supply the engine and the gauge. ICP do not supply the oil pressure gauge in the kit and it is up to the dealer to either tell the customer or supply the gauge as part of the kit

Cant say I have any great experience regarding supply of  new Rotax engines direct from Rotax or agent - however I think it unlikely Rotax supplied any gauges. Aircraft kit suppliers will often offer variose gauges etc as options with their kit.

My Aviasport gauges were purchased from Bert Floods.  One gauge was faulty and swapped back twice and even had email conversation with Mr Aviasport  (don't recall his name) who still makes them.  Excellent service all round, fully supported after sales service. I recommend them.  Cheers

My Aviasport gauges were purchased from Bert Floods.  One gauge was faulty and swapped back twice and even had email conversation with Mr Aviasport  (don't recall his name) who still makes them.  Excellent service all round, fully supported after sales service. I recommend them.  Cheers

Fair enough - however this sounds like a Flood initiative  rather than Rotax.

On another note ;  I put Aviasport into Google -  strangely no one site/vendor offers all gauges ( oil & fuel pressure, coolant temp. EGT & RPM). RPM only appears in Images - no longer available??

Kyle a bit of a delay with I my response but the capillary tube  oil gauge set up was pretty much universal in light aircraft for many years. If it's installed to look after the first section  carefully I would suggest it would be more reliable. It's a pretty short run from the engine to the dash on most designs. Unreliable indications are a hazard with any instrument.. Electric  instruments are becoming notorious for failures and most instruments don't tell you they have failed. Some do, of course but in more sophisticated planes than we afford. With a scary indication you won't fly the plane the same as before it happened. You will be anxious and trying to think of where to land it and may well outland and damage the plane when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the engine. Nev

Yep, in automation we say bad information is worse than no information.

And one of the things we do to make pressure transducers more robust in the field is spec them with a bigger span than is required.

So, for instance, if we're expecting 0 to 10bar, we fit a 0 to 20bar transducer. This means we are only using 4 to 12mA of the possible 4 to 20mA signal, but most transducers and instrumentation offer sufficient resolution that this is not an issue.

And we especially do this when measuring pressure in liquids (oil/hydraulic oil/refrigerant etc) since they are not compressible, so the transducer is at greater risk of sudden loading.