Sapphire, out of luck

Sapphire. LSA 25- reg. I have been asked to make the aircraft airworthy again. (It has a ghastly amateurish one piece cockpit hood, fuel/engine problems and dash/wiring that only a 7 year old could be proud of, and no logbook) There is a AD concerning the rudder post bearing. Can anybody tell me exactly what is to be done? A drawing would be good. I understand that there is no longer a manufacturer so to register it would require an E25 registration and an airworthy inspection? I've tried a name published here (Steve D ) but there's no response...Any ideas on how to proceed? The aircraft is factory built and came (originally) with a 3 piece side opening hood. To scratch build that is beyond the owners financial ability. Maybe I can fit a shortish screen? The owner has invested a large amount of money for an aircraft with an airworthy inspection (from WA) and has, at this time a pile of unregisterable junk.

• Informative 1

Hi Geoff,

I helped Scott design the Sapphire and a lot of the parts were off my aircraft at the time or were modified to suit Scott's vision. I have also built

several airframes with and without the help of Scott's brother, Dean, for Steven Dumesny. If you send me some photo's of the sus areas

I may be able to help you.

Ray Tolhurst

[email protected]

• Helpful 5

Hi Geoff,

Attached images show the AD info for updating the rudder. There are phone numbers for Steve Dumesny at the bottom of the second page, but don't know how current they are now.

Alan img007.jpg.040aa77fe740b3da99118516a1f8b946.jpg

img002.jpg.ba301f3ea76d8fc8e05f108bc99b9cc9.jpg

img003.jpg.9207fc02350d406c9fed1a98d5909513.jpg

img006.jpg.8747c8bff9754c3e53bd86e25ca39140.jpg

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I have heard that the Sapphire was named "LSA mk11" but may not be an LSA in the new sense of the word.

The Sapphire has been around alot longer than the LSA category, so I doubt it would be registered as LSA.

The name or term LSA was used on several aircraft, eg the LSA 55 Jabirus.

• Agree 1

Sapphire. LSA 25- reg. I have been asked to make the aircraft airworthy again. (It has a ghastly amateurish one piece cockpit hood, fuel/engine problems and dash/wiring that only a 7 year old could be proud of, and no logbook) There is a AD concerning the rudder post bearing. Can anybody tell me exactly what is to be done? A drawing would be good. I understand that there is no longer a manufacturer so to register it would require an E25 registration and an airworthy inspection? I've tried a name published here (Steve D ) but there's no response...Any ideas on how to proceed? The aircraft is factory built and came (originally) with a 3 piece side opening hood. To scratch build that is beyond the owners financial ability. Maybe I can fit a shortish screen? The owner has invested a large amount of money for an aircraft with an airworthy inspection (from WA) and has, at this time a pile of unregisterable junk.

Geoffreywh. I'm curious as to what "airworthy inspection" document you refer to that would apply to the subject Cat 25-registered Sapphire (in any condition)? As all RAA aircraft buyers should know, in the perfect sense a valid UACR is a document prepared by either the vendor/buyer/L-2 examiner prior to purchase and validated by an L-2. It is not an 'airworthy certificate' - rather a record of the state of the aircraft at time of sale or re-registration. If the procedure wasn't followed then the unfortunate purchaser must assume a 1/2 share of the responsibility for the bone-pointing. Assuming that we are talking about a bodgy UACR or 'cooked books' then the purchaser is obligated to bring the matter to the attention of Tech Mgr to have the questionable L-2 reviewed. I have a copy of the Sapphire POH and assembly/maintenance manual as published by Freedom Aerolites (predecessors to Steve Dumesney) that I could have copied for you if of any help. Dumesney closed shop about 2 years back after trying for yonks to sell the business. I believe the original windscreen/canopy was a two piece, single curvature, Lexan arrangement which could be easily duplicated. Good luck with your rebuild. cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Geoffreywh. I'm curious as to what "airworthy inspection" document you refer to that would apply to the subject Cat 25-registered Sapphire (in any condition)? As all RAA aircraft buyers should know, in the perfect sense a valid UACR is a document prepared by either the vendor/buyer/L-2 examiner prior to purchase and validated by an L-2. It is not an 'airworthy certificate' - rather a record of the state of the aircraft at time of sale or re-registration. If the procedure wasn't followed then the unfortunate purchaser must assume a 1/2 share of the responsibility for the bone-pointing. Assuming that we are talking about a bodgy UACR or 'cooked books' then the purchaser is obligated to bring the matter to the attention of Tech Mgr to have the questionable L-2 reviewed. I have a copy of the Sapphire POH and assembly/maintenance manual as published by Freedom Aerolites (predecessors to Steve Dumesney) that I could have copied for you if of any help. Dumesney closed shop about 2 years back after trying for yonks to sell the business. I believe the original windscreen/canopy was a two piece, single curvature, Lexan arrangement which could be easily duplicated. Good luck with your rebuild. cheers

Just re-checked my shabby filing system and found that I have a 13-page 'Sapphire Canopy Manufacturing & Fitting Manual' published by Dumesney in 2001. You are correct, it is an extensive and painful undertaking however, if you feel a copy would be of use to you let me know. Given time, I could also possibly get close-up dimensioned photos of the early Lexan 2-piece canopy. cheers

Riley - I have an early model Sapphire which I rebuilt last year. I found making a canopy which worked a frustrating exercise - I ended up with a 3-piece side-hinging affair which is just barely satisfactory. I really need to come up with something better. Any chance of emailing the manual you have to me? [email protected]. Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

Dear Riley. I too would like the "how to make it manual" If you might photocopy it ? I'll glady pay for your efforts.... The aircaft was purchased some 9 years ago!... I can only offer the owner a windscreen so that he has in effect an open cockpit. Making a fully enclosed one would entail ? a blown glider canopy and frame. Even a flat sheet 3 piece would need a frame or two bent plus locating f/glass wok at the back of the cockpit. A nightmare for the owner. He really got ripped off badly.

• Haha 1

Dear Riley. I too would like the "how to make it manual" If you might photocopy it ? I'll glady pay for your efforts.... The aircaft was purchased some 9 years ago!... I can only offer the owner a windscreen so that he has in effect an open cockpit. Making a fully enclosed one would entail ? a blown glider canopy and frame. Even a flat sheet 3 piece would need a frame or two bent plus locating f/glass wok at the back of the cockpit. A nightmare for the owner. He really got ripped off badly.

OK. Haven't seen him at the airfield for months so I may have to break into my mate's hangar to get at his early Sapphire to get the promised format and dimensioned photos. Will also get the Man. Manual copied and forward the lot at the same time. Probably won't be till early next week. As a matter of interest, could you PM me the details of the L-2 in WA who did such a poor job on the inspection? cheers

• Like 1

Riley - I have an early model Sapphire which I rebuilt last year. I found making a canopy which worked a frustrating exercise - I ended up with a 3-piece side-hinging affair which is just barely satisfactory. I really need to come up with something better. Any chance of emailing the manual you have to me? [email protected]. CheersGraeme

Will do Graeme. Won't happen till early next week when I do Geoffery's. Might have to go by snail mail as I'm a proper luddite when it comes internet. Send me your mailing address in Rolleston just in case we need Plan B. cheers Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G-wh, My computor fried on the w/end so I can't send photos. Will snail mail you the job notes on the two piece screen/canopy and also the manual on the later bubble canopy. PM me you mailing address before Wednesday (I'm off to Sun and Fun onThursday) and I'll put it in the post. Cheers. Bob

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I've been trying to acquire some kit plans, or some type of build/design instructions for the Sapphire MkII.

I am more than happy to pay for copies and postage if anyone can assist me.

This is a very recent thread and you guys seem to be a hot lead to my long search.

I'm on Facebook, and you are welcome to message me there, or here, or by phone text.

Thank you,

Jon Lamont

• 2 years later...

A two year old thead.

I hope it gets going again, as an aside,

Check the Hummel site for the canopy,

They sell a blown one that is possibly usefull.

spacesailer

• 1 month later...

The owner gave up and took it away. The canopy was the last straw. It expected the cost of a side opening 3 piece canopy with alloy frame to be about 2500. It lives now in its trailer in Doveton, Vic. I think he would let it go for any price.