Let's move the Old Bus

There she sits, forgotten in a lonely glass case. Bypassed by expressways and never glimpsed by most travellers. Visited a few times per day by the faithful.

Why is this country's most famous aircraft not housed in the centre of Brisbane Airport, so that every traveller sees it?

image.jpg.b1862839730cce6b1706ec6f57954d37.jpg

• Agree 2

There she sits, forgotten in a lonely glass case. Bypassed by expressways and never glimpsed by most travellers. Visited a few times per day by the faithful.Why is this country's most famous aircraft not housed in the centre of Brisbane Airport, so that every traveller sees it?

[ATTACH=full]31552[/ATTACH]

Agreed, but perhaps it should be Sydney instead of Brisbane - given the name of the airport and the fact it gets almost double the passengers.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

I go out of my way to visit her when I am at Brisbane airport if time allows.

Queensland ??......she sits on the historic spot where she touched down after crossing the Pacific for the first time. I have also visited the spot where she departed from Oakland Airport in California (North Field) where there is a very suitable and sizeable plaque on a plinth there in front of the old original terminal, the same spot where other notables left from for their adventurers such as Amelia Earhart.

The 'neglected' building she sits in is designed specifically for the task, is climate controlled and well presented, and we should be very gratefull we have that together of course with the 'old bus' itself.

May she last forever............Maj......

Until they opened up the new access road a few years back everyone drove past on their way to both the domestic and international terminals. Brisbane airport released plans earlier this year to develop the area around the Southern Cross enclosure so I'm sure more people will visit her soon.

• Informative 3

Te

While we're stealing the thread...the least visited historic aeroplane in Australia must be the Sopwith monoplane at Minlaton on the Eyre Peninsular.[ATTACH=full]31572[/ATTACH]

Looks beautiful, pm. Tell us more.

• Agree 1

The "Red Devil" was brought back by Captain Harry Butler after WW1. He ran an airmail service from Minalton to Adelaide. he crashed another plane in 1922 and later died from his injuries. The Red Devil was restored by Aviation Services at Parafield and now has its own display building on the edge of Minlaton (population 1000). It is on a road to nowhere so unless you go looking for it ( my grandfather came from Minlaton) you are unlikely to find it by accident.

• Informative 2

Is

The "Red Devil" was brought back by Captain Harry Butler after WW1. He ran an airmail service from Minalton to Adelaide. he crashed another plane in 1922 and later died from his injuries. The Red Devil was restored by Aviation Services at Parafield and now has its own display building on the edge of Minlaton (population 1000). It is on a road to nowhere so unless you go looking for it ( my grandfather came from Minlaton) you are unlikely to find it by accident.

Is there an airstrip nearby? Maybe it could be put on the list of places to fly in to visit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Has anyone visited the Vickers Vimy at Adelaide airport in recent times? Its well away from the main terminal... should be in it!http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Vickers Vimy G-EAOU.htm

Asked why she wasn't going in the new terminal, the answer was that she too fragile to move.

Now-a-days, she gets very few visitors as she sits in a spacial hangar in the middle of the long stay car-park. Bloody shame I calls it.

Seen the Red Devil but she too, is bypassed by too many un-informed people.

While we're stealing the thread...the least visited historic aeroplane in Australia must be the Sopwith monoplane at Minlaton on the Eyre Peninsular.[ATTACH=full]31572[/ATTACH]

I hope they let the kid out for a run occasionally ....

• Haha 1

Reality is if you put it smack bang in the middle of the terminal most people still would not even notice it.

I like where it is. With the new service center it is more visible and anyone coming from the gateway to the international terminal drives straight past with a great view of it.

I think if it is visited a couple of times a day as OP said, then that is a win!

• Like 1

Located in Helsinki (definately international), a mighty little Junkers that they're proud to display.

Many snap happy travellers can be seen snapping away and happily reading it's history, presented in multiple languages.image.jpg.86c1d64245da628d19247fb6d873c4c0.jpg

image.jpg.5700d6b0dfc77d32ad0d13f533f95bb4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1