Simex tyres

Mewp

Time is coming around where I will need to replace the tires and I came across the simex brand and believe they are manufactured in Malaysia and have had contracts with Boeing. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this brand. My size is 500-5 6ply.

Thanks

Matt

Simex is a large tyre manufacturer, and has been in business for a substantial amount of time (I was buying Simex dump truck tyres in the early 1990's), and Simex tyres have been proven to give very satisfactory service.

Nearly all of the "third world" countries who set up tyre manufacturing facilities, acquire their technology, and a lot of their manufacturing equipment, from the major tyre manufacturers, such as Bridgestone, Michelin and Goodyear.

Current tyre technology is well known and understood - any problems with tyres originate from poor QC in the factory - or worse - "backyard" dealers who are prepared to sell you tyres that have been rejected as sub-standard by the factory.

These tyres have manufacturing faults that aren't dangerous, but which reduce their performance. They are often unable to be effectively balanced because of the manufacturing flaws (tread belt misalignment). Beware of the eBay sellers.

• Informative 1

I just did some research on Simex, and found out the following information;

Simex has been an aero tyre manufacturer in 1975, producing bias-ply aero tyres. They have been producing radial aero tyres since 2002, under the "Simex Aero" brand.

Simex is owned by Sime Darby, a huge Malaysian trading conglomerate, on a par with the big Japanese trading houses such as Mitsubishi, Mitsui, Sumitomo, Itochu and Marubeni.

Simex shut down their aero tyre business for a while in late 2001, stating poor trading conditions as a result of the impact of 9/11 on aircraft sales and parts sales.

Simex went into a technical partnership with Boeing for the supply of Simex-made radial tyres for the B777, in 2002.

Simex got their aircraft tyre technical assistance from Sumitomo Tyre. The Boeing deal made Simex only the 3rd radial aero tyre manufacturer in the world.

Continental have purchased a major shareholding in Simex, with the option to increase that shareholding to a majority if it so desires. Continental is the worlds 4th largest tyre manufacturer, behind the 3 "biggies" mentioned in my previous post.

The Simex manufacturing facility is ISO9002 certified. Simex radial passenger and truck tires are DOT (United States) and ECE (European Union) approved and compliant.

Simex also carry out sizeable retreading operations, including aircraft tyre retreading.

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest

Those simex tyres are great either 5 or 6 inches. They are actually available on aircrafttyres.net at a very competitive price of bought in bulk

I would guess that it will depend on what qualities you are looking for.

I bought a pair from aircrafttyres.net, and sent them back immediately. I purchased 6.00x6 6ply. Bear in mind I have been using 10 ply helicopter tyres, and wanted to try a more flexible thinner walled tyre. The tyres were so rigid in the sidewalls, I had no chance of getting the on my non-split rims. They would have been better suited to something much heavier as they were rated to 1750 lbs each and weighed near 5kg each.

My 10 ply heli tyres were way less rigid. I ended up spending $100 on shipping and had no tyres.

• Informative 1