Site now on Xenforo

Admin

Well, I hear you say here we AGAIN...however you will now find the site much easier to use and it will cost me less. This was announced some time ago so thank you to those that were able to provide input with their posts on this.

This was the comparison posted late last year:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TH]IPS as Now [/TH][TH] XF [/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Forums [/TD][TD]Same Forums but a lot simpler search and post creation [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Groups - I wanted to get flying clubs and schools to create a presence here by them creating their own group [/TD][TD]Groups - but with less functionality so may not be comprehensive enough for clubs and schools to want to create their own group [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Blogs - not really used but had hoped kit builders would create a blog on their build [/TD][TD]No Blog Alternative [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Events - has multi calendars and RSVP options [/TD][TD]3rd Party Calendar addon that costs $60USD [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Media - Gallery [/TD][TD]Included as a single solution for both pictures and videos which can be separated by categories [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Media - Videos [/TD][TD]as above [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Articles [/TD][TD]3rd Party Articles addon (currently have) [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Aviation Accident Articles [/TD]

[TD]Would need to be included in the Articles 3rd party addon as a category (if we still wish to make them separate) [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Resources - Downloads [/TD][TD]Included in XF which can also accommodate Tools and Calculators [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Resources - Tools and Calculators [/TD][TD]as above [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Resources - Tutorials [/TD][TD]Would need to be included in the Articles 3rd party addon as separate categories [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Quizzes (not yet developed) [/TD][TD]No Quizzes alternative [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Maps [/TD][TD]No Maps alternative [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Aircraft [/TD][TD]3rd Party Articles addon (currently have) called Showcase [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]People (not yet developed) [/TD][TD]No People alternative although could be again be included as a category in the 3rd party Articles addon [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pilot Supplies Shop (IPS has an integrated (including user login) shopping cart system that was planned to replace the Clear Prop site) [/TD][TD]Would need to keep the non integrated Clear Prop site [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Classifieds [/TD][TD]No Classifieds alternative - could use a forum or get one developed [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Suppliers [/TD][TD]No Suppliers alternative [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Members [/TD][TD]Members but without daily champion [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Off Topic - either integrated (with filters) or separate site [/TD][TD]Off Topic - either integrated (with filters) or separate site [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Whats New - all of site integrated together in the one page [/TD][TD]Whats New - uses separate Whats New pages for each area of the site i.e. not all integrated into 1 page [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I hope the site is much easier for you to use now.

There is still some cleaning up to do plus the migration and population of some different areas:

Aircraft

Articles

Resources

Tutorials

Events and others

So please be a bit patient while I do this over the coming days

• Like 1

Please note there is a lot of spam (a problem that is with the old software IPS) that I am removing however I have to do it 1 by 1 so just ignore it for the time being...thanks

• Like 1

Please note there is a lot of spam (a problem that is with the old software IPS) that I am removing however I have to do it 1 by 1 so just ignore it for the time being...thanks

Ian (if not Ian sorry *******). Although I have been a member of RF for along time I have always just surfed until I found my required article / infromation. There has got to be a better way. How would I search for a specific item for example, "The fuel pump for a Rotax 912". I have tried the "search" from the left hand colum but it only gives a very general answer. Am I doing something wrong. Regards, David

You will often find that a Google search is more effective than a website search. Just type into the Google search menu, "recreational flying: fuel pump Rotax 912", and it will more than likely find the result you're looking for.

• Helpful 1

You will often find that a Google search is more effective than a website search. Just type into the Google search menu, "recreational flying: fuel pump Rotax 912", and it will more than likely find the result you're looking for.

Thanks onetrack. I will try this next time that I am looking for specific information.

Don’t know if anyone else has this problem with the new site but now I have to log in every time I go to this site. Well if I want to comment on anything.

Previously my iPhone and the site recognised each other but now I’m essentially a visitor every time I open the site. Have ticked “the stay logged in” box - no difference.

many hints on how to fix that?

Jaba-who

Don’t know if anyone else has this problem with the new site but now I have to log in every time I go to this site. Well if I want to comment on anything.

Previously my iPhone and the site recognised each other but now I’m essentially a visitor every time I open the site. Have ticked “the stay logged in” box - no difference.

many hints on how to fix that?

Jaba-who

I have the same issue too .

I must say that I really like the look, feel and the ease of doing anything in this XF software and the only reason I pushed IPS is that it offered so much more. But, with that "more" also came complexity for both myself and you the user and the silly thing is that no one really used all that "more" stuff.

Anyway, I hope you are happy with the way the site is now with XF

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is looking like it was the right decision to come back to the Xenforo site software and whilst there is still a lot of work to do in building the site back up the statistics are starting to show a positive turn. Note though the sudden increase was caused by the mid air accident at Mangalore on the 19th however the trend outside that is still looking a little positive. One thing we need to encourage is the creation of many more threads on any kind of aviation subject:

8.thumb.jpg.a2b59b77ef34ee1c1cea51da05fb717c.jpg

Over the next couple of weeks I will be bombarded the Showcase and Resources section with the records from the old software that could not be imported automatically. These records will be entered manually through copy and paste so the red counters that show new unread records in these two sections will be showing high numbers until you read or "Mark as read" the new records. In a couple of weeks these will settle down so sorry if there is any inconvenience.