Skycraft Scout Information

Got a few questions regarding the Skycraft Scout (any make).

Firstly, how on Earth do they turn? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif I can't see any ailerons, does the whole wing move?

-Andrew

Got a few questions regarding the Skycraft Scout (any make).Firstly, how on Earth do they turn? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif I can't see any ailerons, does the whole wing move?

-Andrew

If my memory serves me correctly the early Scout was two axis (elevator and rudder only), turning relied on roll being the secondary effect of yaw. The later model was three axis with the roll control being wing warping this was achieved by a cable pulling down on the rear of one wing and releasing tension on the rear of the opposite wing changing the angle of attack on each wing.

Regards Richard.

Interesting, was it effective? It's big wings would probably make it effective. How many do you think are still around? I've seen two of them down south in WA.

-Andrew

If your Scout interest is anything more than marque curiousity - be very, very circumspect. Scouts had/have a reputation of terminating a number of pilots who dared to venture higher than ground effect. In fact, the only serious accident in YBOO's near-20-year history was a fatality in a Scout. There's one hangared (dis-assembled but definitely not for rebuild) about 25 NM away if you wanted to have a sticky beak some weekend. Cheers

Hi Riley,

Thanks for the reply. I've only ever read good things about the Scout, how it was one of the best commercially built 'original' rag and tube ultralights. Although they always looked a bit 'tacky'. Wouldn't mind having a bit of a looksie at the on hangared nearby. Merely an interest. Looking for something rag and tube (Thruster T83/T85 like)

-Andrew

Hi Andrew here is the link for ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultralight-Aircraft-/190546194881?pt=AU_Aircraft&hash=item2c5d7031c1

l taught myself to fly a scout in 80s and easyriser they where great fun in those days we didnt need a licence just read some instructions and away we go they where real ultralights getting them up was easy get down was not a few bent undercarriges .

Interesting, was it effective? It's big wings would probably make it effective. How many do you think are still around? I've seen two of them down south in WA.-Andrew

I don't think the roll control was very effective they were, as had been said in previous posts, best in still conditions and for pilots weighing 70 kg or less. You would need to find out about them and have a low speed endorsement before attempting to fly one, the one I flew had negative pitch stability. I think there would be hundreds of them around they basically started the ultralight movement we have today. It was all about affordable flying until it was hijacked and turned into Casa Mk2.

• 6 years later...
Just the sort of machine that I reckon will fit my future flying plans. Were any of these aircraft offered as plans and homebuilt?

I have a disassembled but complete mk2 with robin 440 and sweetapple prop that was stored in 1986 and has been kept in a shed so skins are still in good condition and all wires and bolts and control assemblies are kept in a lockable tin box ,,can be yours for the very reasonable price of 1k

Holbrook Ultralight Club had a Mustang as club single seater. It was fully enclosed with a sailcloth pod and zippered doors. Called "Black Beauty". Replaced by a Jeep and then single seat Thruster. I think it had a Rotax 377. $42 /hr wet. Cheap circuits in the early 90's.

I had a new mk3 Scout in 84 for one year it was great.

If someone gave me a perfect one today I would not fly it just because of certain structural aspects.

• 1 month later...

I have a MK 3 with the Robins engine excellent Fabrics and motor I got running about a yr or so back Cpl points of interest I have no idea of engine hours although engine is still nice and tight with new rings and a thorough going over all the wires and king posts and hardware are all stored together it has floats which have seen better days and its on golf cart wheels so it has the mags Hahahaha I have put a little bigger wheel barrow wheels on since but haven't taxied her for a while now here's a Cpl pics of her assembled 

IMG_1706.thumb.JPG.c6c96e776e07123858b327a6431d7abf.JPG

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.e5f350eb147552fce919396f85e5934c.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Before you attempt to fly it. The wings don't appear to have any where enough tension in them.

The skin should be drum tight i.e. no wrinkles as depicted in the photo.

Happy flying.