• Please read this important announcement HERE

sonex kit ???

D

disperse

just had another look at garry's website and im sorry to say the cheetah wins hands down .......and theres nothing like the security of buying local

Ultralights

Ratings
1,050 32
Country
Country
i actually quite like the sonex! especially the Vtail version...

as much as i like the Cheetah, give me the Sonex any day!

D

disperse

things i didnt like about the sonex ( i could be reading these wrong )
MTOW = 1100pnd = 500kg / small fuel tank at 16 usg = 60lt and with a jab 3300 thats less than 3 hrs but you do get another 20kg on the MTOW

im mainly putting this in here so i can be enlightened as to whether or not im reading this correctly

Ultralights with a plane like the vampire im not surprised you like the sonex
they both look very cool;)

Thruster87

Ratings
Country
Country
I know two sonexs' are been built in the Wollongong area. If you are interested in talking with the syndicate let me know and I'll see what I can do Cheers

C

check-in

I have just done a trip from Kilcoy to Ceduna and return in 27 hours flying time. Standard taildragger Sonex with a Jabiru 220 engine. I was originally on my way to Perth, but ran out of oil at Ceduna. I travelled light with only one litre spare thinking that because there was a BP Aviation refueller at Ceduna, they would have aircraft oil. WRONGGGG! Long story, which I will write about in the RAA Magazine sometime.

As for the litttle Sonex - it went great, considering that I picked about the worst possible heat wave to attempt the trip. 40 degrees on the ground everywhere I went. TAS was about 95 to 100 knots at a rock-steady 15 litres per hour in some terrible turbulence. Part of the reason for the TAS being a bit less than advertised was because I did not want to flog the engine in the heat, and part was probably due to the oversize wheels and tyres I fitted. 8 inch Asuza wheels running 480-400 x 8 boat trailer tyres. Of course the wheel spats had to go.

As pretty as it looks, I am not sure that the V tail would handle the turbulence and crosswinds encountered nearly as well as the straight tail did. Never a bad moment despite some impressive gusts and turbulence on several takeoffs and landings. Maybe the V tail would be OK in a nosewheel configuration, but then it wouldn't look as pretty and would lose a few knots over the taildragger.