any airfields near Richmond/Windsor area?

Guest Fred Bear

Dennis, as far as I know mate, not much. I flew with a mate in the aerochutes and pretty much got kicked out of the area. There was old Schofields but that is disused. I am not aware of anywhere else. Someone else may know though.

Also note that area is Richmond Military airspace. Will need Richmond tower permission, or confirm R451 status with Sydney tower.

If I recall correctly Restricted Zone R451 applies SFC/2500. It'll be on the Sydney VTC & VNC.

thanks Gents,

R451 is usually de-activated on weekends when military ops are at a minimum and the base goes CTAF® just like here in Williamtown along with the associated "Res" areas.

Dennis

Guest Fred Bear

Usually de-activated yes. A quick call to Sydney Radar on 124.55 will confirm it and they certainly do not mind telling you. I have had to ask several times when conducting airwork right on the border.

Hi LJS,

I like to fly regularly and I average around 100-120 hrs/yr. I was hoping to find something with hangarage obviously happy to pay all costs and upkeep of the airfield. I am in the RAAF and at Williamtown atm, I expect a posting sometime later this year to Richmond and would hope to do the same amount of flying there if possible.

cheers

Guest Fred Bear
theres a number of turf farms just north of there ....... never know your luck

No go with them. They are the areas I was referring to. No aerochutes would certainly mean no trikes.

Hawkesbury Powered Parachutes may be of some help to you. They are listed in the RAA mag . Graham Hutchinson is the CFI . I believe they almost have Benson Lane airfield up and running again. Believe insurance was a hang up. Hangerage would be a problem as the strip is on flood prone land. Not much else available in the area.