Started the Couger

Guernsey

Ratings
1,471 33
Country
Country
The aircraft we are talking about with the 160hp is a Sierra , With our aircraft with heavier motors, we now have a bigger nose leg from a 11/4" to 11/2" dia. The fire wall is moved to suite the weight of motors used like the Sierra if using a 80hp or a 120hp there is 2" difference .
I realise that it is being fitted in a Sierra but you did mention its performance in a Cougar.
Alan.

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
Ratings
245 4
Good point Alan, We have a larger nose leg 11/2"x 83 thou heat treated,as it will have an extra 100lb on it, the C/G would move, so the fire wall would also move. My blue Cougar nose length is ok ,you may notice the grey Cougar has a longer nose,this is good for a 4 seater with the Jab engine weight,where my blue one is limited to 75kg in the rear seat. I am also looking at a longer canopy (my new sierra canopy we made a 3m long bubble),a lot less curve)and move the join aft for better entry to the back seat,a better folding seat,also a lot more sweep on the fin.

Guernsey

Ratings
1,471 33
Country
Country
Good point Alan, We have a larger nose leg 11/2"x 83 thou heat treated,as it will have an extra 100lb on it, the C/G would move, so the fire wall would also move. My blue Cougar nose length is ok ,you may notice the grey Cougar has a longer nose,this is good for a 4 seater with the Jab engine weight,where my blue one is limited to 75kg in the rear seat. I am also looking at a longer canopy (my new sierra canopy we made a 3m long bubble),a lot less curve)and move the join aft for better entry to the back seat,a better folding seat,also a lot more sweep on the fin.
Thanks for the reply Gary, I knew that you would be improving your aircraft all of the time, I just wanted to let everybody know on this forum. :score 010:
Alan.

Attachments

Sloper

Ratings
109 1
Country
Country
Goodaye all

Been a while, not much work done on the plane but a heap of car maintence.

Have a idea about the elevator trim that l would like to run past people.
Always trying to have redundacy l wanted to be able to use the elevator trim to fly the aircraft if the elevator cable or controls failed.
Flown a warrior with the trim wheel just for the experience (not landing or take off)

Have a look at the pic and give me some thoughts.

First the trim wheel is conected to a relay lever by a continuos length of bungee.
Then connected to the relay lever is a Bowden cable that is connected to the elevator horn.
Simple l think.
l would expect to have a number of positions in the relay lever to get the force required right and the bugee cable would be 1.5-2m long.

Cant see me getting much done until after April, have anew decking to build and one of my sons purchased a Gemini rolling shell which muggens here will have to paint and get it going.

regards Bruce

geoffreywh

Ratings
479 16
Country
Country
it's not geared low enough!.No finesse of operation..why not get one of those electric servos ( R.C. Allen) and plant it in the tailplane..( I did) ...otherwise look for a geared right angled drive.(turn the handle and you get a push pull motion) ..an italian company used to make one. Ingegno I believe....They also make great wheels.........

gareth lacey

Roko Via Gold
Ratings
342 12
Country
Country
Hi Sloper
Craig and I installed a Ray allen servo with trim indicator and dual control switches , the servo is very light and has a lot of pull and is very finite in controlling the trim flaps ( we install 100mmx600mm trim flaps into our elavator)
it is easily controlled and the total cost about $400 and a loom of 5 wires to the rear ,just my solution
cheeers Gareth

geoffreywh

Ratings
479 16
Country
Country
I've had my Allen servo for 7 years now, I got the up/down rocker and the positional led with it... works fine. Althought I like that manual red thing in the previous post. But then you have to have a push/ pull cable which spells disaster if I jams ( just like my original one..) .OK if you can get access...are you going to move the whole elevator asd a trim opr put a tab on the trailing edge.?... ( much simpler ) ......

geoffreywh

Ratings
479 16
Country
Country
I'm sorry Bruce. Excuse my ignorance. But, I don't see how your drawing of the trim works in conjunction with the elevator/joystick/ up-down action?

Virago

Ratings
Country
Country
I've fitted the RC Allen trim servo and moveable tab (complete with rocker switch and LED position indicator) to my Sierra project. I've flown a Cheetah with the exact same trim system and the fore/aft authority is excellent.

Old Koreelah

Ratings
3,614 105
Country
Country
Just read thru your entire thread, Bruce, Very impressed with your workmanship and innovations. I too have spent years stuck in the shed building and learned that it's easy to neglect the most important component of all: your flying skills. Are you keeping your hours up, especially in a similar aircraft?

Sloper

Ratings
109 1
Country
Country
Not flying as much as l want but am keeping my skills ok.
Next flight is a check flight.
Medical due next month and shhhh l am turning 50

regards Bruce

geoffreywh

Ratings
479 16
Country
Country
Bloody hell , That's why I don't believe I can build an aeroplane , There's just not enough time left (70 next birthday)

Deskpilot

Ratings
945 17
Country
Country
Bloody hell , That's why I don't believe I can build an aeroplane , There's just not enough time left (70 next birthday)
Of course there is. 5 years to build at the most, and at least 10 to enjoy your labours. At 72 I'm just waiting on my inheritance (mum's a healthy 96yo) and then it's all stops out to build one of my creations.