State Lockdown - who's watching the airports

With flying training disrupted we still have many folks flying about in light aircraft. Who's watching the smaller airfields for sneaky folks crossing the borders while states are in lock down?

• Like 2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about this today. what happens if you fly over the line, does a F35 shoot you down or do the Maverick thing and fly upside down above you.

Love to see them try and fly at 35knts to annoy me. But to be fair at 35knts they would have time to work it out while I was taking 5 hours to get to the border ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was wondering about this today. what happens if you fly over the line, does a F35 shoot you down or do the Maverick thing and fly upside down above you.

F35's can fly upside down?? Probably only if it's not raining.

• Haha 1

There are border communities where people live on one side and work and shop on the other. I am living in such a place right now, and I have been told that there is no problem going to Naracoorte as usual. The checkpoint is at Hynam, and there are many arguments to use to get through.

The main unknown is the intelligence of the chief honcho at the checkpoint at the time you arrived. Who wants to spend money on lawyers?

There are border communities where people live on one side and work and shop on the other. I am living in such a place right now, and I have been told that there is no problem going to Naracoorte as usual. The checkpoint is at Hynam, and there are many arguments to use to get through.

The main unknown is the intelligence of the chief honcho at the checkpoint at the time you arrived. Who wants to spend money on lawyers?

The rapid onset of the virus has produced some crazy results. At the Queensland border points people have posted video of cops sticking their heads into cars, and checkpoints have been located downstream from shipping outlets etc., similar to what happened with tens of thousands who flew back to Australia from overseas into the two weeks lockdown and wandered down to the cafes and shops, then when police were appointed to monitor them, gave incorrect addresses, or were not at home when police called. That led to the Victorian tightening we have now where you do your time locked down in a hotel, and this mornings video showed Police, Army, and Health officials at Melbourne Airport to usher the arrivals on to buses to the hotels.

Love to see them try and fly at 35knts to annoy me. But to be fair at 35knts they would have time to work it out while I was taking 5 hours to get to the border ?

I was at a G-20 briefing on the exclusion zone centred around Brisbane city. When "the Air Force" says "don't fly" (they haven't said that), please comply. Without (them) being specific, it was made clear they (Defence) had a method to deal with low performance aircraft.

If I had to guess, it would involve multiple intercepting aircraft with different capabilities and not all of them would be "Air Force".

I can only imagine how embarrassing getting carted off in a van covered in flashing lights would be in front of your friends and neighbors.

I was at a G-20 briefing on the exclusion zone centred around Brisbane city. When "the Air Force" says "don't fly" (they haven't said that), please comply. Without (them) being specific, it was made clear they (Defence) had a method to deal with low performance aircraft.

If I had to guess, it would involve multiple intercepting aircraft with different capabilities and not all of them would be "Air Force".

I can only imagine how embarrassing getting carted off in a van covered in flashing lights would be in front of your friends and neighbors.

Yes, it gets scary.

In looking up the present status of airfields and private flying a couple of days ago I found CASA has already handed over to Department of Health under the State/Territory Jurisdiction, and that when the State of Emergency was declared, that automatically gave executive powers to health officials to order some actions overriding the normal government executive, and then if a State of Disaster is declared, you better be very nice to your Chief Medical Officer. I can see now why there has been some ever so slight discussions about the State of Emergency and reluctance to "pull the lever" to State of Disaster.

I’m wondering just what they hope to achieve with a state ‘lockdown’ ?

All states/territory’s have the China virus now.

Seems all we is doing is wasting police etc resources now - Though, I suppose it makes us think the state and Federal governments are doing something important..............?

• Like 1
  • More 1

Guest Machtuk

I’m wondering just what they hope to achieve with a state ‘lockdown’ ?

All states/territory’s have the China virus now.

Seems all we is doing is wasting police etc resources now - Though, I suppose it makes us think the state and Federal governments are doing something important..............?

A total state by state lock down would be the final nail in our coffin, not the virus coffin but the economy coffin! The stupidity of our so called leaders knows no bounds!

The rapid onset of the virus has produced some crazy results. At the Queensland border points people have posted video of cops sticking their heads into cars, and checkpoints have been located downstream from shipping outlets etc., similar to what happened with tens of thousands who flew back to Australia from overseas into the two weeks lockdown and wandered down to the cafes and shops, then when police were appointed to monitor them, gave incorrect addresses, or were not at home when police called. That led to the Victorian tightening we have now where you do your time locked down in a hotel, and this mornings video showed Police, Army, and Health officials at Melbourne Airport to usher the arrivals on to buses to the hotels.

That’s a good thing. Lockdown, monitoring and aggressive tracking and numbering of import, local transmission, linked or unlinked cases. It’s a map and the better the map is the sooner it’ll be over.

I’ve just edited this noting the two posts above. You can’t mess with a historical perspective to learn. China and South Korea dampened and tamed aggressive outbreaks by lockdown. Which exact members of our friends or family are we willing to let become sick or possibly die because we want to get the economy moving more quickly?

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

Going back to slavery and killing off the infirm and elderly would be good for an economy. The Mafia certainly have a good business plan but who wants to see this kind of thought prevailing ? Going down that road, where does one stop? Just doing what is best for an economy will end up conflicting with basic human rights . There's plenty of evidence of that happening. Nev.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

We, the people, have already handed over most of our rights to the Executive. Anti-terrorism measures Responding to both domestic and international incidents (I’ve never forgiven John Howard for taking my treasured, collectable firearms); tough-on-crime actions toughening bail and parole, and introducing new offences for behaviours that were already covered (despite the huge weight of evidence telling us that this was not only inordinately expensive, it was counter-productive and money far better spent on health and social Measures; tightening our borders saw massive changes in the way we respond to those seeking asylum but also changed life for us, too.

If a fraction of the money spent on “border” issues had been invested in our health system we would not be facing such a Cataclysmic situation as we have now. Science has been overtaken by religious fantasy and common sense by political dogma from all corners of Parliaments across the country. We have a “War Cabinet” that doesn’t include the leader of the party representative of nearly half the voters nationally so that person is left to snipe from the bleachers. We have a CMO and his deputy Making decisions who are at odds with those who actually have epidemiological skills.

As a Polish member of 92 Squadron was famously quoted saying during a war 80 years ago...”Is a fuck-up”!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

........ an economy.

Try not to think of "the economy." It doesn't exist any more.

The current Australian plan is to go into hybernation for six months or more, with complex financial plans for each State and Territory so everyone has a roof over their head, food, medical support from the Federal and State governments, and with employer companies in mothballs, and ready to start business, returning their employees to work at the end of the pandemic. When that's rolling they'll look at what money is left, and that's their starting budget plus what they can borrow.

The PM announced this morning that Treasury have been meeting for three days for a third package which fits into Federal and State laws.

Also, a few people had become confused with the National Cabinet thinking Labor should be involved; the PM announced two packages this morning, $74 million for Mental Health support, where people having difficulty coping, or being bashed etc can reach out for support, and around $266 million for a TeleHealth package.

When the press asked him if Parliament would have to sit to approve this, he sad no, the Labor Party had already approved it, so Labor supporters can be comfortable that while their leaders haven't been trying to flood the airwaves they have been right their doing their vital job to keep the activities acceptable to the Australian people, and the action which has been going on behind the scenes is staggering.

TeleHealth is a programme allowing remote access to Doctors, it has to fit in with things like transmission, technology, software, rules, clinical processes, the bulk billing system, GP equipment, and an endless stream of other things and was expected to take about ten years to delivered.

All the peak bodies associated with this, extending to all parts of Australia, as far as remote indigenous settlements, and within all State and Territory Jurisdictions, financing, and all those other things will be delivered tomorrow - ten days from the time they started. An absolutely stunning performance for which it looks like we'll be thanking hundreds of people who made that possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That’s a good thing. Lockdown, monitoring and aggressive tracking and numbering of import, local transmission, linked or unlinked cases. It’s a map and the better the map is the sooner it’ll be over.

I’ve just edited this noting the two posts above. You can’t mess with a historical perspective to learn. China and South Korea dampened and tamed aggressive outbreaks by lockdown. Which exact members of our friends or family are we willing to let become sick or possibly die because we want to get the economy moving more quickly?

I hadn’t realised they were doing China virus checks at the state borders - where did they get the test kits from ? If they are not doing virus checks then there is no virus ‘map’ occurring. I note South Korea had their virus test kit programme ready to go once they had clearly identified the virus. So we is not comparing apples to apples here..?

I see many Australian medical people don’t think the China virus is something to worry about...

“...Upon arrival in to Australia, NSW Health advised the 77 medical professionals who flew in that they were required to self-isolate for 14 days at hotels in Sydney.

When the officers returned to serve the Public Health Orders, they discovered 33 doctors had left the hotel.

“Six of the 33 individuals were located at Sydney domestic airport terminal by Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers,” police said...”

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2020/03/good-to-see-afp-going-after-jack-man-doctors-who-ran-away-from-quarantine.html

I hadn’t realised they were doing China virus checks at the state borders - where did they get the test kits from ?

You've had a pretty good run with the pidgin English and "China" virus. Everyone but you seems to be able to use its correct name.

As much as this started in China it's looking more and more innocent as facts come to hand, and China has rush life saving supplies to may countries since.

When industry gets going again Australia will need urgent stock from our biggest trading partner...China, and the last thing we need to do is irritate our resident Diplomatic staff.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

You've had a pretty good run with the pidgin English and "China" virus. Everyone but you seems to be able to use its correct name.

As much as this started in China it's looking more and more innocent as facts come to hand, and China has rush life saving supplies to may countries since.

When industry gets going again Australia will need urgent stock from our biggest trading partner...China, and the last thing we need to do is irritate our resident Diplomatic staff.

I hadn’t realised my posts were so important to the Chinese government. Apparently ah will change the world..... I’m chuffed...?

turboplanner, you do realise that we is posting on an obscure ultralight forum..? ......?

Try not to think of "the economy." It doesn't exist any more.

Wrong! An economy will always exist as, by definition, it is the mechanism for transfer of goods and services between people. 'The Economy' Facthunter is referring to is the ponzi scheme, devised over 40 tears ago by Milton Friedman and the Chicago School of Economics and others, as a rip-off, which Morrison supports, designed to transfer wealth to a small number of oligarchs. This positions these interests above the interests of ordinary citizens. Health should be the only consideration in this crisis and going hard and early is the way to protect the maximum numbers of citizens. Where do hairdressers and personal trainers fit into such a model?

I hadn’t realised my posts were so important to the Chinese government. Apparently ah will change the world..... I’m chuffed...?

turboplanner, you do realise that we is posting on an obscure ultralight forum..? ......?

You should be safe; the word crunching computers that search for say Trump's words around the world total them by country, assess if there's any popularity slide etc would have picked up your repeated words, but checked the number of repeats and the grammatical train wreck and not reported them in the Australia figures.

Wrong! An economy will always exist as, by definition, it is the mechanism for transfer of goods and services between people. 'The Economy' Facthunter is referring to is the ponzi scheme, devised over 40 tears ago by Milton Friedman and the Chicago School of Economics and others, as a rip-off, which Morrison supports, designed to transfer wealth to a small number of oligarchs. This positions these interests above the interests of ordinary citizens. Health should be the only consideration in this crisis and going hard and early is the way to protect the maximum numbers of citizens. Where do hairdressers and personal trainers fit into such a model?

The Ponzi scheme is easily proved and is illegal in Australia. I've never seen even the slightest hint of Scott Morrison supporting that crime.

Hairdressers and Personal Trainers were put on the essential list by the Chief medical Officer for mental health reasons.

Why would the Chief Medical Officer be considered Independent of the PM? Anyone appointed and capable of being sacked by the same person/authority will never be Independent to provide his own (assumed Medical) views. .IF you think this has all been done well you are easily pleased. It's politicised to the hilt.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1