Struggling to carve out enough time

Been training since 2013 with many breaks around busy seasons of farm life it’s not adding up to many hours in the air. It doesn’t take long to get back on circuits (half an hour in training area) I just don’t get a long run of weeks without getting busy back on the farm.

One obstacle getting overcome on the farm is self sufficient labour but it’s a work in progress.

I haven’t soloed yet but feel like it should be in the next 5 hours or so.

Last year I started to do 2 flights a day once a week to try and push things along.

I guess I’m asking a piece of string question but what do I need to do to get my recreational pilots certificate?

Can I do 3 flights a day or will that wear me out? Would 2 weeks at 5 days a week likely push it over? Is accelerating the learning this much actually a help?

hi nig71 your mental state makes a difference to how mutch you can digest at training you can do three or four hrs per day BUT I would not

1hr in the morning 1hr in the afternoon every second day

leaving lesson to far apart at this stage is not in your best interest neil

It sure is a piece of string question, nig71. I did my initial training with the late Tony Hayes at Watts Ridge, because he was the ace tailwheel teacher. It meant 9-hour trips when I could get away, months apart.

Because of the time periods (and my being a slow learner) I spent a lot of time and money.

One of Tony's students from western Qld gave himself a fortnight to get his ticket, and brought his little family for the holiday. Seemed to work for him.

I guess it depends on your work situation.

The drought around here has opposite effects on farmers. The crop growers haven't got much to do, but those with livestock spend loads of their day hand feeding.

Old K. I am glad you enjoyed Tony Hayes instruction. He is the man who said you can't 3 point Thrusters and was the self professed expert on Thrusters.

I once wheeled a Thruster on and didn't like it, that was in about 400 or more landings.

• Informative 1

Old K. I am glad you enjoyed Tony Hayes instruction. He is the man who said you can't 3 point Thrusters and was the self professed expert on Thrusters.I once wheeled a Thruster on and didn't like it, that was in about 400 or more landings.

There are couple of them in our club. For a light aeroplane, they are very tail-heavy to move around the hangar.

The main wheels are set ridiculously far forward.

Now I know why neither Tony or his fellow instructors could get me to proficiency with handling a Thruster after the tail touched down. I cursed the damned things and asked why in blazes he instructed in such an ornery aeroplane.

His reply: " Because if you can fly a Thruster you can fly anything".

I eventually trained myself in my Jodel, which (after I sorted the toe-out) is a pussycat to handle.

Having the wheels well forward causes more directional stability issues than you want, in any plane. Tony was working on re rigging the Thruster to give more effective back stick. by altering the mainplanes riggers AoA. . This would have made the Thruster more predictable in the last bit of the flare.

Three point is (I reckon) generally easier and you are going slower, (often by a fair amount) so if you get out if shape it's going to be less dramatic. High(er) performance taildraggers often have small tails, which compounds the directional control problems. This was compensated for by holding the stick all the way back after the flare and having the tailwheel steering set up well so it actually worked well enough to be able to keep the plane straight using it rather than relying on the rudder... Running with the tail right on the ground without power often has little air over the rudder to have it very effective.. It the wind is gusty, do a wheeler in those circumstances if you want/ need the extra control.. I'm surprised how these days most DH 82 pilots do ALL wheeler landings. You have to lower the tail eventually and you can use a lot of runway wheeling them on. You should be able to do both proficiently. . Nev

When I was learning at Swan Hill a decade ago lots of the RAA students would come and stay for 2 weeks. They seemed to achieve a lot given the ability to fly several times a day for a fortnight. The consistency and currency really pushed them along. If I could have taken the time away to do it like that I probably would have. I did most of my dual navs (PPL) with MMFS doing an outback trip over Easter. The flying every day, alternating PIC and PAX with another student really helped reinforce everything for me.

• Like 1

hi nig71 your mental state makes a difference to how mutch you can digest at training you can do three or four hrs per day BUT I would not1hr in the morning 1hr in the afternoon every second day

leaving lesson to far apart at this stage is not in your best interest neil

So why not 2 hours a day 2 days apart and I assume even a week apart?

Is there any chance you can get your instructor to come to you, maybe land close by then stay for a day or more and meet a few more students?

Alternatively are there places you regularly go that you can go by plane and have someone with a licence along to keep it legal?

• Like 1

Is there any chance you can get your instructor to come to you, maybe land close by then stay for a day or more and meet a few more students?Alternatively are there places you regularly go that you can go by plane and have someone with a licence along to keep it legal?

Distance isn’t a huge issue, I’m half an hour away , it is getting free of managing people at work is big. Juggling weather is another issue as good weather for farming is good weather for flying....

• Agree 1

ALL flying is experience, but it you want value for your money large sessions are not as good at getting the result as more restricted ones, In terms of continuous time at one "period". If you are doing intense activity like (say) initial cross wind landings in conditions that are demanding after a time say 40 minutes you start to get worse you are wasting your time doing a longer session. The times that include variation and have ferry included, the time constraints are not so applicable. You should be fully briefed and debriefed before and after each session in a manner appropriate to your previous experience and understanding. IF they don't do this go elsewhere. Doing briefing s in a moving aeroplane is not the best technique. You need to consolidate as you progress. You only do abinitio training once in your life. It's the foundation of all you do later and has to be sound and free from confusion. Nev

• Like 2