Struggling With Aircraft Classifications

Clan anyone help with the classification of aircraft for RAA purposes?

LSA - built by manufacturer. - 600kg mtow.

Amateur built? What is the difference between that and a kit built design that is capable of being an LSA? Then there is E-LSA....

The kit has a choice of firewall forward engine and propeller options. Where do they fit?

The technical manual is unclear where they fit.

Start with the CAOs they are actually very clear.

RAAus has three CAOs

- All control groups (3axis/weightshift/PPC/combined)

- single seat

- 300kg land/320kg land and parachute/350kg water MTOW

- MTOW has a second limit is 1^m/30kg at MTOW

- must be privately built to your own home designed, not factory and if you use plans they must be approved plans - approved kits as a concept exist but do not exsit in relality

- in reality even if you used plans everyone just says they designed it eg minimax can come within the weight/speed limits and have been registered even though the plans are not approved under 95.10 ... it just gets called a 'smith' minimax

- there are a few really old factory built ones and wing load exempt ones grandfathered in but thats historic

In this group of RAAus reg airframes that has no reference to engines or propellers - this group can be multi engine and jet if you feel adventurous

- Weightshift and PPC control groups only

- Single ot two seat

- amature design/constructed (major portion rule) or assembled from factory kit or from factory complete

- assembly kit or factory complete - manufacturer needs to hold CASA accepted manufacturing certificate

- single engine and single propeller

- MTOW is 600kg land 650kg water

- max stall speed at MTOW is 45kts

- LSA and e-LSA come within this area - with these your mod ability is very restricted and you need to hold certificates in addition to registration

Home built in this section can be single seaters up to 600kg/650kg so long as you can meet the 45kts.

In this group of RAAus reg airframes that has no reference to engines or propellers - this group can be multi engine and jet if you feel adventurous and/or can find an adventurous manufacturer - can't imagine there is much call for a jet powered weightshift but if I had a spare jet laying around I would mod my 95.32 homebuilt trike to take it ;-)

- All control groups other than weightshit and PPC can come under this one

- single ot two seats

- MTOW is variable depending on which manufactured group it falls under:

- amature construction - major portion rule - 600kg land 650kg water

- old 95.25 airframes - old factory rules - no mods unless approved (near impossible) or MARAP (near impossible) - MTOW is per the original factory - MTOW could be anywhere from 280kg up to 400KG and each airframe might be different

- old 101.28 - homebuilt rules - very restricted mods in construction from accepted plans sets or approved kits - MTOW is per the accepted/approved drawings/kit sets.

- old 101.55 - factory built - no mods unless approved (near impossible if factory does not continue support) or MARAP (near impossible) - MTOW is per the original factory

- Type certificated factory build that can meet 600kg/650kg MTOW and 45kt stall - factory rules on MTOW and mods

- LSA and eLSA come within this area - with these your mod ability is very restricted and you need to hold certificates in addition to registration

Home built in this section can be single seaters up to 600kg/650kg so long as you can meet the 45kts.

- max stall speed at MTOW is 45kts for all under this CAO

- single engine and single propeller

Most confusion falls with new comers looking at what looks like virtually the same airframe with diferent limits on MTOW and use. This is because a facotry can easily sell a kit for domething it can sell complete but the resulting aircraft gets different limts applied.

The basic rule is that the amature built in 95.55 are NOT restricted by their 'designers' because under RAAus using 95.55 the designer is the builder/owner. eg a factory built aircraft have an MTOW of 480kg and stall at well under 45kts ... there is nothing stopping (other than good sence) an amature builder building a kit from the same factory and self declaring the MTOW to be 600kg so long as they also declare it stalls at less than 45kts ... neither kit manufacturer not RAAus can tell you you cannot do this under 95.55.

Clear as mud really ... but actually fairly easy

Factory = resticted and controlled mods and MTOW etc

non-factory = free for all within the general bounds of MTOW and stall spped limits

Edited by kasper
  • Like 2

LSA manufacturer built is static in design, by which I mean that it must not be altered in any way, or it ceases to be LSA.

Amateur built LSA or E LSA is designed by a manufacturer, but built by the owner. It still cannot deviate from the original design.

Most RAAus planes are not LSA, but manufacturer or owner built and can be changed after building.

The problem is that a lot of people think LSA is the generic term for Ultralights and RAAus reg aircraft. It is not.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Yenn,

Amateur built LSA/e-LSA is a biut confusing when talking about kits and operating conditions.

IF an LSA manufacturer also sells a kit for that same airframe then it can come within 95.55 in 1 of two ways:

Major poition rule satisfied - no longer LSA but pure amateur built and MTOW/mods etc are free for all

Major poriton rule not datisfied - its e-LSA and as you point out its deisgn limited and mod limited eg can't even put a 100hp rotax in place of an 80hp ... you are also technically limited on the dash and instrument fit outs so cannot deviated from the approved LSA fit out unless/until you get a clearance. I'd avoid that build type like the plague because you are limited to the designer limits and the designer is likely not that interested in you and anything you want to change.

It is a pity that the LSA name has been commandeered for a specific tightly defined group because that is what most Ultralights (USA & AUS) & Microlights (NZ & UK) are, "Light Sport Aircraft". The Ultralight/Microlight terminology doesn't suit the modern product in my opinion, LSA does.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It is a pity that the LSA name has been commandeered for a specific tightly defined group because that is what most Ultralights (USA & AUS) & Microlights (NZ & UK) are, "Light Sport Aircraft". The Ultralight/Microlight terminology doesn't suit the modern product in my opinion, LSA does.

I have often thought the same thing. Here in NZ a 600 kg microlight seems a contradiction in terms.

Hmm, as clear as mud indeed. So tell me, where will my modified Thruster T84 end up. It will have folding wings, a smooth rein skin, no air gaps twix control surfaces and main assemblies so will probably be faster once airborne, somewhat heavier than the original but not much (hopefully) Will it still remain in the 95-10 category, if not what new rego would be applied.?

Hmm, as clear as mud indeed. So tell me, where will my modified Thruster T84 end up. It will have folding wings, a smooth rein skin, no air gaps twix control surfaces and main assemblies so will probably be faster once airborne, somewhat heavier than the original but not much (hopefully) Will it still remain in the 95-10 category, if not what new rego would be applied.?

Once an airframe is registered 95.10 it stays in that group.

Your t84 is special in that it’s factory built and exempt from Wing load requirements. You just have to stay under 300kg Motown and single seat and you can do whatever you like to it.

You can cut off 10 ft of wing, change the wings from ladder/fabric to full metal or composite

You can take off the old banging engine and shove a couple of large model turbojets wherever you think they might look good and not melt too much when you turn them on.

You have one of THE most flexible to play with airframes out there.

Have fun