Superpup/Aeropup

dreemhi

Is anyone building/built or flying either a single seat Superpup or two seat Aeropup?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on building and flying this A/C.

David

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David

I'm flying a Supapup Mk4 out of The Oaks.

Not many hours on it yet but I'm getting there.

It's serial #11 built early 2002. I bought it in January from Lew

Mathews who built it. This was Lews' 2nd Supapup build, last I heard he

was just finishing an Aeropup, he sold me the Supapup to buy the engine

for the Aeropup.

Mark

Guest Fred Bear

Lew has been busy. He has built 3+ total now. Probably the most Supapup's that anyone has ever built. He helps out at the factory now and then. Quite the builder.

Thanks all.

Leigh and Clem, I've got nothing but admiration for anyone who puts the time and effort into building. I'm not sure if I've got what it takes tobuild but it might be the only way to get the aircraft I really want.

Mark, I've just completed my tail wheel at The Oaks, in a Lightwing, any idea ifthe Superpup has similar handling?

David

Guest leighbus

well david if taking a passenger is what your after then i recomend building an aeropup, but if not there seems to be plenty of supapups for sale in the back of the RAAus magazine for the past few months.

as a owner come pilot of both Supa-Pup and Aero -Pup can answer any of your question and by the way the Supa-pup Jab equipted is for sale

James 0418858189

Thanks Leigh and James,

Sorry not to get straight back to you, been away for a week or so.

Leigh, hows the building going, would be great to hear your experience so far. Yes, I see the Super-Pup adds in the mag, the ones I can afford have 503's or smaller and I have a preference for 4 stroke.

James, we have communicated, your aircraft would be a dream come true for me but it is beyond my means. If you want to make me and probably a few others very envious please tell us your experience of flying both these aircraft.

David

Guest leighbus

Well David were still workin away hard on getting the wings done but a couple of weeks ago our engine arrived, its a Jabiru 2200.

If you keep an eye out i will be doing another update on my website soon about the wings and engine.

Leigh

• 9 months later...

This thread is of great interest to me. Last week I made the first payment on a Aeropup kit which I hope to pick up in October. My rational was that I currently fly a single seat N3-PUP and I wanted more of the same in something a bit bigger. I purchased this PUP second hand and I like to know all about what I am flying and thought the best way to achieve that was to build it first. I have seen Leighs photos on the web site and the first thing I noticed was the three bay shed large enough for the plane rigged with the wings. I only have a one bay shed and I am hoping I can work on one piece at a time,fuselage, wing or wing. I am excited at the prospect and expecting to have to solve one problem at a time. Mark V

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jokerman

Leigh,

I had a look at your site and there are some great photos there. What did intrigue me, other than the Aeropup photos was the trip from Caboolture to Watts Bridge to Kilcoy and back to Caboolture. Am I correct in assuming u fly from Caboolture? If so do u intend to house your completed Pup there?

From a prospective Supapup purchaser. I'm looking at one in a couple of weeks time and it sounds very interesting.

Hi Jokerman

Not a bad idea as there are a few builders in progress as far as I know. What a perfect chance for them to communicate with each other, trouble is not all of them like using the net and computers. Ive had 3 fellows out home to date looking at my craft and 2 more via emails and me sending them digital images to get them through some of their problem areas.

I would be more than happy to assist if I can.

Knighty

Guest Jokerman

Thanks for the reply Knightly.

I presume the idea u liked was the suggestion of the Supapup/Aeropup forum.

Pity about the Pup builders not liking the internet. Do u have any ideas of the numbers we are talking about? Perhaps others can pass on the info from the forum to them, via printing out the discussions. I'd be willing to do that depending on the numbers we are talking about who don't have access to the net. Just an idea.

So from the sounds of it u are building a Supa or Aero pup. Correct? And helping others who are building as well. Are they all in NSW or are some in other states?

What assistance were u offering me?

Thanks.

Hi Folks,

As I have mentioned earlier on this thread I hope to pick up my Aeropup kit in October. The idea of having a separate forum seems a great way to support and promote this Aussie industry. I would be happy to contribute my experience to the dedicated forum.

Mark V

Guest Jokerman

That's good Mark.

So does any know what we do from here about setting up the forum? Do we put a request into Ian?

Aeropup Forum

Thanks for the reply Knightly.I presume the idea u liked was the suggestion of the Supapup/Aeropup forum.

Pity about the Pup builders not liking the internet. Do u have any ideas of the numbers we are talking about? Perhaps others can pass on the info from the forum to them, via printing out the discussions. I'd be willing to do that depending on the numbers we are talking about who don't have access to the net. Just an idea.

So from the sounds of it u are building a Supa or Aero pup. Correct? And helping others who are building as well. Are they all in NSW or are some in other states?

Hi again Jokerman

Sorry for the time it has taken for me to reply, been really busy here doing other things.

I am aware of 3 kits (Aeropups) around my local area and who knows as there could be more? I've met a fellow at Natfly who has a project underway and he lives in South Qld.

Have a look in the engines forum and look under the AeroVee engine and you will find a descriptive overview of my completed Aeropup awaiting its final inspection.

I will be more than happy to offer any assistance to anyone interested in building their own. I've had fellows drop in home, ask questions, take photos and then be off on their merry way. I've taken numerous digital images of the aircraft construction and sent them via email to builders already. I offer you the same service and assistance if thats the way you would like to go?

If you would like an Aeropup forum Ian would be your best bet for sure! I would not be at all surprised to see over 20 A/C on the RAA register within the next couple of years once projects are finished!

Cheers

Knighty

Guest The Bushman

Hi fellow flyer as builder of 3 Aircraft 1 supa and 2 aero pups I would be interested to assist the forum in building advise and I also supply Aero_pup manufacture with components and am always on the phone supplying help to Builders

The Bushman

• 1 month later...

Aeropup Forum

I would also be interested in an Aeropup build forum.

I'm building number 20 and I know of two Aeropups under construction around Melbourne.

Lew is certainly a great help but I don't like to hassle him every time I have a question.

Perhaps we could start with a contact list of active builders/owners who want to exchange information. Unfortunately not all Aeropup builders are great users of the internet.

So we might need to include people from outside this forum. However I have found John Cotton to be most helpful with contacts. I happy to contact John for his help.

Dr Bob

I'm about to start building an aeropup in the near future and love the net.I anticipate needing to ask a fair bit of advise so like you say if we had and active area where we could discuss the building I would love to be part of it .

Guest The Bushman

As a Builder and owner of a Supa-Pup Mk4hich is for sale and the Builder of 2 Aero-Pup

With 330 Hrs in the Supa-Pup and 100 hr in the Aero-Pup find both aircraft are a joy to fly with a good cruse speed and as the Manufacture states build like a brick ****house

And for those building either aircraft Suggestion you install a baggage section behind the seats by lining it with 3 ply and building a tunnel to cover the Pushrod

Use ally angle to hold the corners and base no rivits in the airframe!!

More suggestion to follow

The Bushmen

Guest The Bushman

Tip No 2

Beware the aircraft will need Weight in the nose to pass Weight and balance so be carfull about weight aft of the c/g

Raised the question With J/Cotton said aft C/G is futher back than quoted as safety margin

More to follow

The Bushman