Testing 360 Camera in a mates Searay

Michael Hille

• 9 months later...

Putting a cam on a stick out the canopy in flight..,, Sorry that’s just poor form, lacks airmanship, and sets a bad example.

• Like 1

Better than most 360 degree clips I've seen. The level of distortion was quite acceptable. The photographer wasn't flying the aircraft unless you hadn't noticed JT. I don't see an issue. We used to drop bombs made of wood turned on a lathe when piloting the aircraft (C152) at a controlled airport in Aero Club competitions. There was an instructor in the RH seat who judged you. I even got first prize "Senior Bombing" one year.

Not absolutely unhappy with how they did this. It is an open cockpit aircraft and they didn’t modify the airframe so sort of within the envelope of allowed for GA aircraft.

But bad form in my opinion for two reasons

1. They may or may not have tested the strength of attachment and break force needed on the camera/stick connection. A phone is a big wind face turned onto flat face in wind and if it snapped that phone was not going down but back straight into a pusher prop

2. Regardless of strength of attachment of phone to stick it’s very bad form and dangerous to have any loose items in an open cockpit pusher. Props really do break easily. In trikes you’ll find everything is attached to the airframe or you. Your grease pencils are on lanyards to knee bags that are Velcro strapped to your legs. Your overmits have clips to attach to yourflying suit.

we know just how much a lost map or mit ruins your day when it hits the prop.

Bad form shown in the video but could have been easily sorted

• Like 1