The end of CASA

With the demise of our industry we will see the collapse of the government run department. If there is one positive out of this, it could be a more simple and common sense approach to create growth and stimulus. There is no place for the red tape and high wages this department created for itself.

stand them down as the rest of the industry has been stood down. These people will only hinder the start up of the industry.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

We can all indulge in wishful thinking. CASA or something like it will always exist. The "Form" it has is the fault of the Legislators (The Federal Parliament), not just the current CASA workforce, Perhaps IF post this virus, we realise Australia needs a viable GA some things may change, but how many people give a damn about little planes and who sits up the front of the bigger planes that fly in our skies? Nev

• Like 3

With the demise of our industry we will see the collapse of the government run department. If there is one positive out of this, it could be a more simple and common sense approach to create growth and stimulus. There is no place for the red tape and high wages this department created for itself.

stand them down as the rest of the industry has been stood down. These people will only hinder the start up of the industry.

In response to this profound statement, I put in a request to CASA this week and got a response.

Once we go into lockdown, logistics increases and gets complicated exponentially and I could see a lot of airlifts to many towns, that will keep Airservices busy for a start, and that in turn will require CASA to be active for commercial flying. For Private and Receation the Chief Medical Officers are controlling whether there is any flying. Currently none, but I think it will be reviewed on April 17.

They could always leave Hamilton off the list for Western District distribution if you'd prefer.

• Like 1

We will always have a regulatory body as long as we have politicians and voters. As much as we may dislike it there will always be regulators and the reason is that there are always people who when they see something they don't like, they say "there should be a law against it"

• Like 2

Guest Machtuk

When I saw the headline got excited!?But remember this is Australia one of the most inept corrupt countries on the planet! " The Firm" will live on guaranteed!

We will always have a regulatory body as long as we have politicians and voters. As much as we may dislike it there will always be regulators and the reason is that there are always people who when they see something they don't like, they say "there should be a law against it"

Aside from that, without CASA we go back to prescriptive regulations like we had pre-1980s where the Government has the liability and decides what the rules will be (as against the members in the SAOs). So that would wipe out recreational flying as we know it today and bring it back to where it was.

• Agree 1

I dunno.

When I first flew ultralights yer just hopped in and flew - just not over public roads or above 300’ or so. I didn’t have an altimeter so took a guess.

Nowa days yer can cheaply fly an own-built basic aircraft around ninety plus percent of Oz .

Caint help but think fer all the sins of what is now called CASA that many of them CASA people have been looking out for their fellow Australians and looking at ways to make personal aviation available to all - Not just the wealthy, like fer example, Dick Smith..?

In an organised Society, rules ensure that almost everyone is doing the same things - consider Road Rules. What has caused the dislike and contempt of CASA is the fact that the adjudication of rules is done behind closed doors with no application of judicial discretion. The fact that the regulations require strict compliance means that there is no way that an allegation can be dismissed. You are always guilty.

CARs and CASRs are massive documents because they have been drafted to deal with as many circumstances as possible. The problem is that some Public Servant in CASA, who probably only sees an aircraft from the boarding ramp, comes up with an idea. They only have to be good at writing up their reasons for suggesting a rule. The suggestion makes its way to the Minister, who is probably more concerned with playing politics in the House and doesn't have any knowledge of the practicalities of the industry. The rule does not have to be approved by the House.

Our mission

To promote a positive and collaborative safety culture through a fair, effective and efficient aviation safety regulatory system, supporting our aviation community.

Notice there is nothing in that indicating that CASA will do things to promote the growth of aviation. It's role is only to regulate.

2. Mindful of the primacy of air safety, CASA takes account of all relevant considerations, including cost

Although safety must always be CASA's 'most important consideration', this does not mean that safety is the only consideration CASA takes into account when performing its regulatory functions and exercising its regulatory powers. CASA is required to take all relevant considerations, including cost, into account.

Where reasonable alternative approaches to the fulfillment of a regulatory requirement-

• satisfy applicable legal requirements and
  • do not unacceptably compromise safety.

CASA will readily entertain such alternatives if they are proposed, and accept them in the absence of compelling reasons not to do so.

Why am I not impressed? I'm sick of being disappointed after so many years of hoping and long ago the CASA or DOT or DCA etc had much more experienced people in it than they will ever have again .Nev

• Agree 1

We need to quickly get this industry back in the skies flying. The government has just handed a life line to regional carriers. They need to consider more support measures. Let's not see the governing body now come out and police with new regulations to support their own positions.

We could see regional carriers quickly carrying out emergency work. Expediting medical relief and food stocking. The way it worked back in the 60s and 70s.

Now is the time for growth in this industry. Not regulation. More people will die of covid 19 today than aviation related deaths.

I maybe playing the devils advocate here.

Notice there is nothing in that indicating that CASA will do things to promote the growth of aviation. It's role is only to regulate.

Many people have referred to this subject over the years.

CASA stands for Civil Aviation Safety Authority - its operations are limited to managing safety.

Airservices Australia in my opinion would be a more likely body to promote the growth of aviation, because more members means more money for things like Navaids and ATC training and salaries.

However, as in any recreational activity, the participants are the ones who should drive it, otherwise they lose control of it.

If you look back on the Australian Aviation industry some of its bigger blips were Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, Arthur Schutt, Bib Stillwell and so on who all took people from the community and turned them into aviators.

Here's the problem... the more people fly, the higher the risk that one will crash. Now CASA are set up to maximise aviation safety which means minimizing flying.

The fact is that flying is much safer than being inactive carries no weight. CASA is not there to maximize safety for the population, only to minimize aviation

accidents.

Here's the problem... the more people fly, the higher the risk that one will crash. Now CASA are set up to maximise aviation safety which means minimizing flying.

The fact is that flying is much safer than being inactive carries no weight. CASA is not there to maximize safety for the population, only to minimize aviation

accidents.

The States also maximise road safety; hasn't stopped the Motor and Transport Industries expanding massively over the last four decades.

General Aviation peaked in the 1980s and has declined ever since to a quieter level today. Fuel cost is one of the driving factors, and we've had many discussions over the years about other factors. Soar Aviation on the one hand is probably not the business model to use, but some of its component parts would help to drive traffic up again.

Recreational aviation will spring back with low fuel prices, that are set to be around for 2 years or more.

With the undisputed fuel efficiency of modern LSA aircraft is fuel cost a factor in operating a 50-150k$ machine?

A large pilot training industry is yours for the taking if you can get your bureaucrats to help. San Diego airspace is filled with asia students who could learn to fly in Australia if the supporting industry is available. Not a huge business but consistent and required. And you could clear our skys of students controllers can't understand.

• Like 1

Guest Machtuk

A large pilot training industry is yours for the taking if you can get your bureaucrats to help. San Diego airspace is filled with asia students who could learn to fly in Australia if the supporting industry is available. Not a huge business but consistent and required. And you could clear our skys of students controllers can't understand.

No thanks, we have enuf of the pests here as it is!

You take too much too seriously Turbo, cut a bit of slack for some throw away lines ?

The foreign students are a worry at times, with unintelligible calls and questionable circuit procedure's. On the other hand they are learning a new complex career in a foreign country with a second language, must be very difficult so I try to cut them some slack. I do blame some of their instructors for bad habits. They always join "Midfield crosswind" no matter where they are in the the circuit or inbound.

Lighten up Turbo

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You take too much too seriously Turbo, cut a bit of slack for some throw away lines ?

The foreign students are a worry at times, with unintelligible calls and questionable circuit procedure's. On the other hand they are learning a new complex career in a foreign country with a second language, must be very difficult so I try to cut them some slack. I do blame some of their instructors for bad habits. They always join "Midfield crosswind" no matter where they are in the the circuit or inbound.

Lighten up Turbo

Sorry that was sarcasm to someone doing his best to become a troll, so I caught myself twice.

I want those students, and I don't have any more problem with them than the "G'Days, can anyone tell me how to get to............"

Soar showed there is a way to link flying with education, but have come unstuck on legality, but a legal concept like that would be a very good start to boosting numbers of students, and when that happens it feeds availability of Commercial Pilots. There's a blockage there right now, but up the East Coast of Australia there is a Planning Trend for decentralisation, not so far out as Whitlam chose, eg Albury/Wodonga, but a band of around 100 km around the cities for food production, then satellite cities which will need small feeder flights suited to S/E aircraft.

No thank you, we have more than our fair share over here at the moment. This is exactly what I'm talking about. If you have the money you can get anything you want. There is no common sense left at the top.

Meanwhile an Australian who has thousands of hours experience is fighting to keep his licence because of a minor medical condition.

Forget about the basic English exams. These guys pay and pay well. Keeps everyone in a job at the department.