Implications of an airstrip for home insurance?

I was recently on the phone renewing home insurance. While running through assets and things with the insurance agent to update insurable value (we are always adding new things!), they asked if our home had an airstrip. I truthfully responded that it did not. But we plan to clear for a strip later this month.

Can any body tell me from experience how declaring having a private airstrip impacts your home insurance? What would be covered under a reguar home insurance policy? Im assuming insurers would consider an operating airstrip increases risks to insured property (e.g. an aircraft ploughing into your house or avgas spillage explosion!). Being essentially a cleared area, I have no need to 'insure' my airstrip, and would happily exlude anything airstrip related from our existing policy.

Would having an airstrip on our property but not declaring it invalidate our existing home insurance against non aviation risks events such fire or theft? The strip will be situated a couple of kilometres away from our house so the likelyhood of an aircraft operations directly effecting our home would be negligible. Im assuming my aircraft is insured under its own insurance on the ground, and the hangar would just be on the household insurance as any property shed or outbuilding.

Ladies and gents, any insights to offer?

Cheers

Alan

No strip personally, but I know of a couple of people who have a cleared area which they refuse to call a "strip" and maintain it is a "road".

A wide long and straight road.

I've even been invited to land my aircraft on their road, if I wanted to visit.

Not sure if it's insurance or legal related......

Have a farm strip but no insurance arrangements. Have not heard of anyone being sued. Not going to live in fear of that or terrorists. Always tell friends of the strips limitations. In the old days you could only land at an ALA now i believe it is up to the pilot to assess if the strip is suitable for their aircraft ?.

Call it a paddock,an access road, a park, a firebreak but not an airstrip as that opens a can of worms and the machinery shed is not a hangar.

• Like 1

If you HAVE to set down, does it make any difference if the Name is "strip, fire-break or access road.

safety first, lets have a few more of them, does having a "windsock" on any patch of dirt break any rules ?.

The insurance bureaucrats have to sit at their office finding ways to stop us getting money out of their company.

spacesailor

The only place to get the correct answer is to have your insurance agent research and report. Remember, you are paying the agent a fee to monitor your insurance. Make the agent work for it. You never know, you might be doing your friends and neighbours a good turn by having the research done.

• Like 1