The second time around

Pmccurl

I currently don't have a pilots license, I was working on it (had about 20hrs-10hrs solo) when we started a family and couldn't afford both so I quit flying and raised an amazing family. My son is a C-17 Pilot in the Air Force and my daughter is a stay at home mom of my wonderful grandkids. Unfortunately my wife of 40 years passed away from cancer about 5 years ago. (MISS HER EVERY DAY) I'm thinking of retiring and going back to finish what I started so may years ago. I hope to gain some knowledge from all you experienced pilots. Thinking of purchasing a Zenith or Savannah STOL and plan to put a 2000' runway and hanger on my farm so I can go play when I get the urge!!!! With the current events it seems I picked a scary time to start a new adventure my but my dad always told me "Tough times don't last tough men do"

• Like 11
  • Winner 1

Sorry that you lost your wife, that would of been very hard!

I can recommend that you go for it!! I got my licence in October and have a farm strip, hangar etc and have logged a bit over 70 hrs now and loving every minute of it. It is great to just go for a fly whenever I want especially now in lockdown mode, just open the hangar, do preflight and go. Sometimes it is just a heap of circuits and the other day it was to find the source of smoke as we are still a bit nervous of fires but it was just a farmer burning windrows 20nm away.

I have a Savannah S and it is great, mostly can land in 100m but my strip is 480m with high trees one end.

Have fun,

Dean.

• Like 3

I currently don't have a pilots license, I was working on it (had about 20hrs-10hrs solo) when we started a family and couldn't afford both so I quit flying and raised an amazing family...

Welcome aboard, Pm. A lot of blokes in your position talk about it, and regret never getting around to it.

Others finally get around to learning to fly in later life. I know of a couple who did and it didn't go so well for either of them, I presume because they hadn't learned to fly in their youth as you did.

Your story sounds very familiar, I started my current flying four years back at 62 after a few false starts many years back, family kids etc. I fortunately still have my lovely wife who enjoys a flight with me every now and then. So yes do go and do it it’ll give a new focus on life and lots of great people to meet, when this covid virus thingy finally clears up. All the best.

Yes. You still have to prove yourself, sonny. That IS the FUN part of it so keep it up.. I'm talking of staying alive.. Fly if it does it for you, as well. Even in the late 50's there was the ODD fellow aged around 60 starting flying but the life expectancy was considerably less than now . Use IT (or anything) as motivation to look after yourself Nev

• Like 1

I currently don't have a pilots license, I was working on it (had about 20hrs-10hrs solo) when we started a family and couldn't afford both so I quit flying and raised an amazing family. My son is a C-17 Pilot in the Air Force and my daughter is a stay at home mom of my wonderful grandkids. Unfortunately my wife of 40 years passed away from cancer about 5 years ago. (MISS HER EVERY DAY) I'm thinking of retiring and going back to finish what I started so may years ago. I hope to gain some knowledge from all you experienced pilots. Thinking of purchasing a Zenith or Savannah STOL and plan to put a 2000' runway and hanger on my farm so I can go play when I get the urge!!!! With the current events it seems I picked a scary time to start a new adventure my but my dad always told me "Tough times don't last tough men do"

I had to wait until retirement to afford my own plane. I decided I didn't want to wait another year (or two) while building, so I found a Jab powered Avid C model in pretty decent shape and took it home. After going through it very extensively in my shop, modifying it to my liking, I've been having a great time flying it all over the Pacific Northwest. I initially wanted the Zenith, I thought the pulled rivet construction would allow a lot of solo building as opposed to my experiences bucking rivets.

The folding wing feature has really made me a convert, I wouldn't be without it. Being able to transport and store in tight spaces has been a game changer. Performance in tight strips and off pavement at slow speeds adds so much safety that I don't hanker for higher speed any longer.

The good news is lots of choices and vastly simplified construction nowadays makes your dream very accessible--go for it, time's a wastin'!1496681042_DSC02035(Large).thumb.jpeg.64a31bddbf923cac455a8ba941a96827.jpeg1462903188_IMG_2307(Large).thumb.JPG.9197ba0b1ef66f1650e7c8cbebf016f5.JPG1900203376_DSC01665(Large).thumb.jpeg.9d1e8c9bef626de0545c8b10b375095c.jpeg

Edited by brinykraut
  • Like 3