This helicopter has a lifesaving parachute

red750

This helicopter has a lifesaving parachute in the event of engine failure. (Follow Tech That Matters for more.)

This is the Zefhir Helicopter, the only helicopter with a ballistic parachute in the world. It’s installed above the main rotor and designed as a backup for conditions where autorotation cannot be performed – this could occur with flight control failure or loss of maneuverability, flying over an area where an emergency landing cannot be performed safely, and flight conditions that prevent restoring rotor rotation speed.

Back in 2018, a breakthrough test confirmed the use of ballistic parachute safety systems in helicopters for the first time. This type of nail-biting test had never been filmed or documented in the entire history of aerospace technology. The revolutionary technology was tested at the Oristano-Fenosu airport in Sardinia, Italy.

The helicopter had reached forward flight at 30 knots above 300 meters of altitude and an engine was purposely turned off to simulate its failure. The deceleration was stabilized and its ground impact was within the parameters to save human life.

Helicopter BRS

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Whole airframe recovery systems are not designed to keep the airframe intact for reuse but are to save the lives of the occupants inside. Seems to have done a reasonable job in the test. Interested to know if it was weighted to mtow but I can see it as an option

• Informative 1

Planey, a link to that video, or a similsr one, was in the original post, just above my sign-off.

Thanks Peter, I missed it.

You know the old saying carrots are good for ones eyesight, but good wine can double your vision.

Next time i'll eat my carrots first.

• Like 1