Savannah VG versus XL: how is this possible?

eightyknots

I had a good look at the specs for both the Savannah VG and XL and something seems a little strange. The XL is wider, longer, faster (in cruise) and slower (in stall) ...all at the same time! All this is achieved without any reduction in landing or take-off roll.

It is interesting to look at the comparison, using the specifications from www.icp.it:

........................ UNIT.... VG.... XL

Length................. metres.. 6.25.. 6.60

Weight................... kg .... 282 .. 286

Width.................. metres . 1.05 . 1.18

Maximum speed........... km/h ... 192 .. 198

Cruise speed............ km/h ... 173 .. 177

Stall speed, no flaps... km/h .... 59 ... 57

Stall speed, full flaps. km/h .... 55 ... 49

:confused: Does anyone know what 'tricks' ICP employed to achieve beneficial increases in all directions (except for a small 4kg increase in weight) without smoke, mirrors, or magic carpets?

More to the point: do the XL specifications stack up in practice?

Also, are there any disadvantages in having an XL rather than a VG?

Sales pitch. I've built a slatted version (without slats, with stolspeed vg) now I've finished a vg version. I have flown a xl version too, there's no difference in performance maybe a knot here or there. When you weigh them it's 3 or 4 kilos heavier for the xl. Sale pitch all I say:sad:

• 4 weeks later...

Sales pitch or facts?

You'd like to think that ICP have done the "near impossible" and produced a slightly heavier, a wider and longer aircraft with a higher cruise speed and lower stall speed. AND, that all this is based on accurate measurements compared to the previous model(s).

Perhaps those flight test figures are available somewhere? Maybe someone has done those checks for personal interest?