VET training programs

So I decided I might go to university... or maybe not.

A lifetime HECS or now FEE-HELP government loan per eligible student is just under $100k in 2018 (or around about let's not split hairs) for the lifetime of a person seeking further education.

Pay it back slowly over a zillion years if and when you get a job over $54k p/a or something of the sort.

Or, how about undergoing a Commercial Pilot training program using a similar system under the Vocational Education and Training (VET) scheme. This allows you to train full-time inclusive of theory and practical flying from RPL, to then PPL, and ultimately achieving a CPL.

The maximum government loan for VET (special schedule 2) studies is a little over $76k (2018 indexation).

That should be enough to pay to get to CPL right? ....Well it should be more than enough if you have the skill. Most private flying schools can do it a lot cheaper.

So why are some flying schools maxing out the training costs to get to CPL about or over $75k ?? Is it because it actually costs that much? Or is it because some schools just want to milk the system for every dollar and take full advantage of the government loan scheme?

I understand it could be a good program, but the country needs new pilots, not broke students with no IFR.

Some schools offer this VET training program. Sounds good. Is it worth it? I looked into it.

So I want a change of career. Get a CPL and off you go. Not entirely so.

I noticed some schools don't include IFR endorsement in their CPL VET program. That's EXTRA!

Some $30k extra at some schools. WOW $105k + total cost.

You've expended your government student loan to the max, got a CPL with no IFR. Can I get a job? Not so easy.

In the end I've found that simply taking it slow and completing lessons week to week at your local flying school is still the cheapest way. Albeit it may take years longer to achieve, but it's better than being pumped out like a cheeseburger with a huge loan and only part of the qualifications needed.

• Agree 2

Great

I'm into this, The government paying for my flying !; At three-score & 15 they wont get much of a return on the loan but the Happiness it brings should be overwhelming.

Hoping the they don't ask too many questions, Poor spelling, poor grammar. Sheiet memory ( four A4 pages of abbreviations, every town airfield starts with Y (why I don't know)).

TigerShark21 please send papers.

spacesailor