Warning - iOS 8.3 upgrade breaks iPad connection to external GPS

ayavner

Hi all - just in case this hasn't been posted, be warned that the latest update to the iPad iOS breaks connections to external GPS, rendering it useless for running Ozrunways or similar if you only have the wifi iPad.

I recently found this out on a very long cross country, so thankfully I had the maps and the Garmin, but still very irritating, as OzR has some very nice features that make it more pleasant.

Some info -

http://help.ozrunways.com/kb/troubleshooting/help-i-cant-get-a-gps-position

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/18013536-alert-compatibility-issue-with-app

apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

adam

• Informative 3

Adam, have you sent them an email detailing this? In your second link Richard suggests a way to go backwards to 8.2 to cure the problem. Goodluck.

Hi there, nahh.. they seem well-aware of it, and I don't depend on it enough really - happy to stick with the maps and garmin/avidyne for now till they come up with a fix.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rattly_spats

Hi People, long time lurker here but first post in these forums.

Hi all - just in case this hasn't been posted, be warned that the latest update to the iPad iOS breaks connections to external GPS, rendering it useless for running Ozrunways or similar if you only have the wifi iPad.

My XGPS150 still talks to my iPad2 with 8.3 installed so it's not universally bad. Maybe it's just the Bad Elf GPS that's affected? Cheers, Phil

Guest Maj Millard

I'm still on iOS6 with my Mini Ipad using Ozrunways, however Bas has stated with the next upgrade I would need to go to 8.3.....obviously that don't work so sticking to 6 for now as its always worked well on the cockpit.

I'm still on iOS6 with my Mini Ipad using Ozrunways, however Bas has stated with the next upgrade I would need to go to 8.3.....obviously that don't work so sticking to 6 for now as its always worked well on the cockpit.

The internal GPS is not a problem it is the wifi only iPads that use an external GPS that have the problem e.g. still works on my phone, just it is too small for airborne purposes (IMO anyway, there are other opinions about that but you will always get various opinions)

The ADSB with the raspberry Pi isnt working on 8.3 either..yet the internal gps is working on the ipad mini..anyone else have ADSB not working since the 8.3 upgrade

Not a problem on my Note 4, Apple is real bitch!

• Like 1

I just had Rowan email me from Ozrunways support..literally a couple of hours after posting on their support site. It is a Ozrunways issue with the ADSB and will be fixed in V4.4 release. It is not anything to do with the V8.3 apple firmware

• Informative 2

I just had Rowan email me from Ozrunways support..literally a couple of hours after posting on their support site. It is a Ozrunways issue with the ADSB and will be fixed in V4.4 release. It is not anything to do with the V8.3 apple firmware

does that go for the GPS problems as well, or just ADSB?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update - iOS 8.4 is out today and appears to fix this issue. Bad Elf have tested it and given it the green light, and I loaded it this morning and tested it with Ozrunways on the drive to work. Everything appears back to normal.

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/34749060-cleared-to-upgrade-ios-8-4-fixes-gps-issues

Let this nevertheless serve as a reminder to us all never to forget the basics and become complacent or reliant upon one particular piece of technology. Sound nav principles were a strong point for me in my training, and served me well when the iPad became a paperweight. That said, it'll be nice to have to back :-)

• Agree 2

Thats great news, lessons learned, "don't download the latest apple updates for a few days to see what hidden problems have developed." Yes we have all become very dependent on all that technology for our day to day ops these days.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1

I accidentally downloaded the 8.3 upgrade thinking it was the 8.2 version which had been approved for use on our company iPads only a couple of weeks earlier. It caused the takeoff and landing performance application for Airbus to crash and an urgent message was sent to all pilots not to install 8.3. This app is kinda important, as it computes V speeds and thrust settings for every takeoff.

That was embarrassing. Lesson learned - look carefully at what version you're about to get if you hit the "install" button!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2