What do you pay for Hangar Space???

Mick

Curious to know what everyone is paying for hangar space.

Obviously it will vary with locations but I'd like to know what it averages out at for a run of the mill RAAus aircraft.

To get things started I am paying $55.00 per week including GST.

Please post your cost as a per aircraft rate.........

At Bundaberg?added: Do you get anything else for that like landing fees, club membership, etc?

No landing fees at Bundy.

I think I am in the most expensive hangar in the place. I was only paying $140 per month until recently. Hangar has a new owner who has lifted the price.

Emerald Qld - $80/week (have not checked the new fees out earlier this month) does not include landing fees

Childers Qld - $200 per year, but you own the hangar on Club land leased from Council ($200 is to help cover Public Liability). Membership fees $50 additional and no landing fees.

Check the Council's website for rental rates for Council owned hangars - some Councils will not allow private hangars, some do but ownership reverts to Council at the end of the lease. You can check the rates or lease charges for private hangars too. Look for Rates or Fees & Charges. Some have airports listed under Commercial, some under Community and some under Corporate - depends how they view it (a profit centre or service).

Sue

I pay $120 per year this includes our club memebership. I own the 12mx12m hanger which I built 14 years ago and we(the club) own the land 178 acres which we bought 16years ago at $1500 per share.

Cheers Helmut.

Gympie Council rates for hangar space

At Gympie we are going through a review process for rental with the Gympie Council who own the airfield, the Council having been given the airstrip by the Federal Government around 1992.

Rental averaged $8 per sq mtr until recently when Council advise rate hikes of up to 300%, but the average increase was more in the vicinity of 100%.

Council had an independent valuer do an evaluation, but he used places like Hervey Bay, Caloundra, Maroochydore etc. All the airfields he used have significant facilities such as PAL etc whereas Gympie is a quiet recreational based airstrip. Hangar owners believe the evaluation should be based on more representative less developed airstrips like Kilcoy, Biggenden, Monto etc.

However it looks like the rent is heading to an amount of around $13 per sq mtr per year... or about $2600 for a 12 X 15 mtr hangar.

Some hangar owners rent spare space at around $50 per week per aircraft... it helps cover rent, insurance etc but it doesn't make a profit for the hangar owner!

Council believes we all make a motza from renting spare space. Most hangar owners only want to encourage more recreational aviators into the airstrip.

Guess all these increases are a sign of the times.

I couldn't find anything available when I wanted to keep my plane at Moruya for a fortnight. I ended up paying the LAME $70 a week to keep it in his shed which meant I could only get to it when he was there to open the door.

Apparently if you can a spot in the council hangars, its worth $70 a week even at permanent rate.

Bathurst Aero Club charges $25 per week. Bathurst Council charges about $1500 per year for hanger sites.. Several new hangers have been built in the past 2 years. Proximity to Sydney and costs at Bankstown and Camden are pushing pilots over the mountain. We have a few hanger owners here now who live in Sydney or Blue Mountains.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

I am Col's Hangar at the moment for $130 /month but was in another previously that was $165/month and I had to move a Jabiru and a trike just to get the

CT out and no water or power - Now why did I movei_dunno

Pete

• Helpful 1
  • Caution 1

• 6 years later...
If you can afford those aeroplanes you can afford $55 a week mate - and if it was your hangar how much would you be charging .... you wouldn't be giving it away would you!

Jeez ... I've heard faster conversation out on the cattle stations, it's taken you six years to answer his question rotor. I bet his hangar fees have gone up since then too! hihi.gif.5c9d308c64b4a9a237960fcb95fb60ee.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

These posts do date back so it would be interesting to re hash the conversation.

I wonder what they are all paying now?

From the prices I have seen my advice would be not to move anywhere.

If you live in the north of WA everyone seems to think you must work for a mine site and be loaded with money the shire here works on a sq metre charge but base that charge on a commercial building in the centre of town I should laugh they are the ones raking in the money.

Anyone ha e a hangar at Jandakot WA for comparison? To some of the early posts

Since Old K gave me a 'caution' for my 6 year old post - I'll up date it to Nov 2016

Childers - unchanged - $200/yr but you own the hangar (buy or build) + $50 membership fee. Occasionally there is a hangar to rent; usually 'mates rates'. Grass strip, no landing fees, but you will be expected to contribute some sweat to maintaining the place.

Emerald - 2016/17 in Council owned hangars - itinerant $20.80/day, in a multi-user combination bay with 2 aircraft $20/wk ea & POA. It now comes with a 44 page document of Terms & Conditions - Emerald Airport. Plus landing fees.

Springsure - we had a 30x30 hangar site surveyed, which several other people have also attempted to develop. The lease stipulated the hangar had to be set in cement (making it hard to remove) and it reverted to the Council's ownership when the 20 yr lease expired if they or we decided not to renew. Had to construct a bitumen apron and taxi way to the strip and drainage works. Annual fees would be 10% of valuation /year - the letter incorrectly asked for $67,000 being 10% of the entire airport. That and about $100k of works + $15k hangar for a $30k plane killed it off for us and everyone who came after us. Rent would be about $10-20k/yr. Rent will depend on establishment and on-going costs.

Jeez (not bad spot to be with your head in the clouds lol) - didnt even look at the date ...... just looked at the planes and as Mick would have only had the Sports Star for maybe 3-4 years thought it was more recent ......

I'm at Gladstone and am paying $50 a week which is soon to end as the owner has sold and the new owner need all the space. So I'd be happy to re-hangar the old girl in Bundy for $55 at least till the end of the wet by that time I should have my own.

Current costs to rent hangar space at South Grafton are about $25.00 to $35.00 per week. If you build or own a hangar current costs are $1,200.00 per year as a member of the Hangar Owners Assn that is the lessee of the aerodrome. The cost includes rates, water, sewerage, aerodrome maintenance (fences, runway sealing, mowing, signage etc) hangar P/L insurance and aerodrome P/L insurance.

Someone can clarify this if not quite correct but is approx. Going rate for space at Caboolture is approx $250 p/mth (thats what I and others pay). To put that in perspective, sale price of OLD hangers has been around $120k. 34 new hangers have just been built (10 for the club). 15 x 12.5 sold around $180k and 20 x 12.5 around $240k. According to website only 2 small hangers to be sold.

Have heard that the club hopes to rent space, 3 to a small hanger between $250 and $300 p/mth.

Someone can clarify this if not quite correct but is approx. Going rate for space at Caboolture is approx $250 p/mth (thats what I and others pay). To put that in perspective, sale price of OLD hangers has been around $120k. 34 new hangers have just been built (10 for the club). 15 x 12.5 sold around $180k and 20 x 12.5 around $240k. According to website only 2 small hangers to be sold.Have heard that the club hopes to rent space, 3 to a small hanger between $250 and $300 p/mth.

There is a sign on the gate today saying Hangar space for rent $25.00 per week.

So the new hangars in the short term could flood the market.

I expect that very soon we will be back to finding it hard to get space but more aircraft around as I think the availability of space will attract more members/aircraft.

• 4 months later...
I pay nothing but I do like to mow or clean up around the airport

As I said I pay nothing but I do a lot of maintenance on the strip at my own cost ,

I have had one of u report back to Gary complaining

about my comment,

I have spent many a day Mowing the Hole strip as well as many others hangars over a 11 years, I use my own gear in including Posi track Loader and Tip truck which i transport in my truck at my own cost doing odd jobs to cover the cost of Hangar

I allso have run a Flyin Drive in BBQ at my own cost and all the setting up done bye myself & Wife and newel ..

So to the person who as complained to Gary before you shoot your mouth off get the facts !

Cheers Doug Evans

• Like 8
  • Winner 2

$27 a week at West Sale on the front apron

Been with the hangar owner for almost 14 years, started off at $20 a week

I'm not complaining, no landing fees and 3 beautifully maintained runways

Only gripe of late is the RAAF has been staying active later on weekdays but still not active on weekends

• Like 1