What is It?

myshed2

Bit hard to tell. Can you take another photo in focus.

it looks a bit like a retained nut housing that’s been opened up and lost the nut.

but then it appears to have some sort of film covering the hole where the screw goes through. So that would negate the first suggestion.

But as I said it’s s but hard to tell.

Never seen a clip like this on any Jabiru engine. I have no idea what it would be used for.

It looks a bit like an oil/fuel level window, but I've never seen one that clips on, perhaps from a lawnmover engine or some such...definately not a jab engine part

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

My question is/are:

Is yours the only aircraft in the hangar?

Do you have a portable generator or compressor in the hangar - or what other machinery?

I sure don't have one on my Jabiru engine.

Looks like a part off a thronomister to me.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. No the aeroplane is not in a hangar with other aerplanes its in my driveway outside my workshop. It could well be a part from something out of the workshop. I have been working on the electrics ie; distributors, coils, spark plug leads etc so wanted to be reassured that it wasnt something from any of them.

An instructor of mine told me the story of him getting in a cub one day and finding a washer on the floor. The pilot said, "ah it doesn't look important, ignore it", so they did until at 3,000 feet enroute, the rudder cable disconnected from the pedals. They had a very interesting landing some of which was on an airstrip.

Hence my paranoia.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks everyone for your input. No the aeroplane is not in a hangar with other aerplanes its in my driveway outside my workshop. It could well be a part from something out of the workshop. I have been working on the electrics ie; distributors, coils, spark plug leads etc so wanted to be reassured that it wasnt something from any of them.

An instructor of mine told me the story of him getting in a cub one day and finding a washer on the floor. The pilot said, "ah it doesn't look important, ignore it", so they did until at 3,000 feet enroute, the rudder cable disconnected from the pedals. They had a very interesting landing some of which was on an airstrip.

Hence my paranoia.

I understand the concern! Looks like a good query for Jabiru. Pete Krotje at JabUSA has been very helpful up here in the evil empire.

Cheers,

G

...An instructor of mine told me the story of him getting in a cub one day and finding a washer on the floor. The pilot said, "ah it doesn't look important, ignore it", so they did until at 3,000 feet enroute, the rudder cable disconnected from the pedals. They had a very interesting landing some of which was on an airstrip.

Hence my paranoia.

I understand your concerns, myshed2; how old is your aircraft?

The only new car I ever bought had a slight bulge under the carpet. After removing seats and the carpet, I found a small plastic frame, presumably discarded when some worker installed a component.

Could your strange item have a similar origin?

OK, there's a story about that:

Concerns a carpetlayer working in a council house in the UK, back when carpets were laboriously tacked down, turning on his knees after finishing a room to see a small lump in the carpet. Checking for his tools and finding them all there. Then realising he had his lighter but not his ciggies, cursing himself for a fool, taking a mallet, hammering the lump flat.

Whereupon the owner of the house enters saying 'I've brought you a cuppa. And here's your smokes, you left 'em in the kitchen. Haven't seen the budgie, have you?.................'

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

It sure doesn't look robust enough to be any part of an aircraft.

It doesn't have to very robust to save your plane; I made up something similar and looped it around my carby, then fixed the ends to my firewall.

The theory is that if I hit a bird and my prop is damaged, it could become sufficiently unbalanced to rip the engine from its mounts faster than I could shut it down.

I've read that Rotax carbs are not clamped to their rubbers so that they are dislodged by wild engine vibrations, automatically cutting off their fuel.