What tyres for the Foxbat

ozbear

One of the ones I have now is flat but only on the bottom lol thanks Geoff:)

Jack it up and roll it over. You only need it round on the bottom!

I have three new unfitted tyres and tubes that came with my Savannah kit if they are any use to you. I didn't use them because I fitted Condors instead.

• Haha 1

Not impressed with the golf cart ones. Someone is advertising tyres at the back of the March magazine. Trelleborg brand.

I wondered what the trelleborg were like

Can't say other than they make good off-road motorbike tyres. I reckon the golf buggy tyres are too soft in the side walls and squirm around too much (IMHO).

It has a trelleborg 6ply on the nose wheel and track king speedways 10ply on the mains the only problem with the nose wheel right now is slight out of balance the mains are perishing and are worn with lots of cat heads in them and are 9yrs old

After too many puncture problems early on with the thin supplied rib tyres, I put on 15 X 6 X 6 Maxxis golf cart tyres. Strong sidewall, deep chunky tread & no punctures since. Only downers:- on loose gravel they chuck stones at the tail, and on rough bitumen there is zero chance of sideslip. Just land straight!

• 5 years later...

Dragging up an old thread here, but has anyone replace the Carlisle 8.00x6 golf cart tyres with 6.00-6 aircraft tyres? Have heard they are slightly taller than the 8.00-6 and worried about them fitting inside the nose fork. Cheers, Jon.

Dragging up an old thread here, but has anyone replace the Carlisle 8.00x6 golf cart tyres with 6.00-6 aircraft tyres? Have heard they are slightly taller than the 8.00-6 and worried about them fitting inside the nose fork. Cheers, Jon.

Yes, Replaced my turfglides with 6.00 x 6 aircraft tyres. About 20mm clearance on front fork and clears the mudguards on the mains.

Would never go back to carlisles......

I replaced the Carlisle golf cart tyres with 6.00 x 6 tyres. They fit fine and are about the same diameter. I got four-ply tyres. I was told that 6 ply tyres are too hard and are used on Cessna's. I think that the 6x6 tyres will provide actually *better* flotation that the golf cart tyres. Assuming that the side wall is flexible enough and the side wall is high enough, the size of the contact patch will depend on the pressure in the tyre. The wider golf cart tyres will have a wider contact patch. That will cause more rolling resistance that the long and narrow contact patch of the 6x6 tyres, not to mention greater risk of punctures. Also the lighter tyres look like aircraft tyres and should have slightly lower air resistance. Even at 10 PSI, the width of the tyre does not limit the size of the contact patch, and I would be worried about the tyre falling off at that pressure. I think I got my tyres from Sky Shop (Australia) .

There are an article on this subject in 4x4 Australia about 10 years ago. For you 4x4 on sand, get *high profle* tyres, not wide ones. I could not find it when I searched online for it. IIRC they tested contact patches with boot polish on the tyre and lowered it onto pieces of paper and measured the contact patch.

That tyre trick does not compute fot me !.

A really good example, is a 26 inch X 1 and a 1/2 inch pushbike tyre on sand, even a skinny 50Kgm kid will bog.

Same kid on Fat tyres will be hard to catch.

My 15 X 195 X 60 profile tyres bog even with 10 psi preasure also they deflate when cornering ( book says 15 X 205,s but not available here ).

245 or 265, width work like a charm,

Someone with good maths will be able to work out the contact area of a 2 ton van ( 4X 4 ) with those differant footprints left in the sand.

15 X 195 compared to 15 X 245 MM = ?.

spacesailor