What's on your survival list?

Butch

What's on your survival list?

What would you like to have if you were quarantined ? (BESIDES TOILET PAPER)

Funny answers get extra points!

We have to cheer this site up :oh yeah::oh yeah::oh yeah::oh yeah::oh yeah:

I can isolate on my little trailer sailer.

Comfy, nice warm bed, Esky full of beer and a nip of rum at bed time. Kettle and Tucker to last it out, and constantly changing scenery without human contact.......

Safe as houses. Actually safer than houses.

Oh, and a bunch of kindle books.

And a radio so I can listen (briefly) about the gloom of city dwellers suffering.

• Like 3

It's a big list as we don't know how long or bad it will get...

So having a less than stellar health had planned ahead when China started....

But tomorrow getting

1000 litres diesel to top tankage on the boat.

1000 water

100 litres unleaded for outboard and genset

10 carton beer- German naturally

5 dozen Red wines

Heaps chocolate etc

Munchies etc.

I also have a nearly empty Port Stephens, a lovely 35 foot boat and enough fishing gear to obtain protein as needed. Not much competition from others and can go coastal as well. Just going to enjoy the boat time and eat crabs, prawns, big fish and savour a beer.

Have a 720 watt solar system and a wind turbine to put up yet. Power should be no issues. As long as we can get gas bottles filled, have 5 bottles, then cooking will be fine.

Like NomadPete, a boat is a zombie apocalypse space ship or safe zone from disease. And the perfect place to enjoy a extended holiday away from others.

Just two brothers growing longer beards and living the seadogs life.

Who would have thought.....six months ago to do this was considered a luxury or selfish. Now it's doing a selfless act and being responsible... ironic.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

I recalls when I were a young-un talking to me mum about how her pantry were small and yet both me granny’s pantry’s were very large and well stocked. Not just with a lot of boring food stuffs (ie, not cakes and chocolate) but with a lot of pickled bottles of stuff and numerous empty jars etc.

Mum pointed out the many young visitor mouths to feed, though also mentioned both granny’s had been through (when young) the trying times of WW1, the Spanish flu, the Great Depression, and the worry and shortages of WW2. ...I guess it’d be the same story with many here.

When the current Woohan flu came to me attention I remembered me granny’s experience and stocked up on what I would find hard to survive with-out.

I went to the shop and got a years supply of Moccona coffee and powdered milk.

Driving around the paddock yesterday I took note of me larder. Chooks, Goates, Rabbits/hares, wild Pigs, Deere, Cattle...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's only five things on my survival list - bread, butter, sugar, milk and tea. I can survive a long time on those basics. Bread can be frozen and kept for months.

Butter and sugar are vital ingredients for most food products, particularly cooked items.

I love my sweet tea, if the sugar supply gets low, I get the shakes, and no-one had better get between me and new supplies of sugar. I don't drink coffee, the chemicals in coffee send me ratty.

Milk can be powdered, condensed, or fresh milk, frozen. Tea can be stockpiled in supplies measured in years.

Canned food is a good backup. In the old days, living in the country, we bottled excess or slightly-substandard fruit with Vacola bottling outfits, we had a pantry full of Vacola bottles of preserved fruit.

Maybe old Vacola bottling outfits will become the new Gold, and people who have them will be on a winner.

Vacuum packed meat is fantastic, and I own a vacuum food sealer (Luvele), it preserves every type of food by a substantial amount. Any leftovers get vacuum packed. Bacon lasts twice as long vacuum packed, when you're not using it.

I found a good trick several years ago - wrap your delicate vegies that go "off" rapidly (lettuces, broccoli, cabbage, pumpkin, green beans, etc) in a couple of layers of paper towelling, ensuring they are completely covered - and store them in the vegie crisper that way. You'll find their lifespan is doubled.

It appears to me, the paper towelling provides just the right level of "breathing" for these delicate vegies, and slows their level of decay by a large margin.

I can isolate on my little trailer sailer.

Comfy, nice warm bed, Esky full of beer and a nip of rum at bed time. Kettle and Tucker to last it out, and constantly changing scenery without human contact.......

Safe as houses. Actually safer than houses.

Oh, and a bunch of kindle books.

And a radio so I can listen (briefly) about the gloom of city dwellers suffering.

Way to go Pete, got a little t s myself and their great for a break, wx permitting.