Severe Pilot Shortage

Tomo

Just thought there may be a few around here interested in knowing this...

Severe Mission Pilot Shortage Threatens Lives in PNG

A sudden drop in pilot numbers has struck Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea putting the lives of people in remote communities at risk.

The normal level for pilot numbers, 20, has fallen sharply to less than 10 due to illness, pilots undergoing training, pilot families on furlough or simply a decrease in new pilot applications.

Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) has worked in PNG since 1951. Once the largest of MAF's international programs, PNG has now shrunk to ‘smaller than average' in a land known to many Australians as ‘Africa on our Doorstep'.

"At a time when the need for the services provided by MAF is greater than ever, the ability of MAF to meet that need is diminished," said MAF Regional Operations Manager, Stephen Charlesworth.

"In addition to more routine work, we would normally carry out at least 400 medical evacuations each year, more than one a day, across PNG. But with the number of pilots and flying hours greatly reduced in 2009, it means that the lives of people in need of emergency assistance are at greater risk and, in some cases, being lost because we can't reach them."

A typical statement from village leaders about the ministry of MAF is: "If MAF did not come here, people would die. It's that simple."

But current figures show the number of MAF bases in PNG down from eight in 2007 to five; a drop of 10 per cent in total hours flown in 2008 from 2007 and an 18 per cent decrease last year in passenger numbers.

Program Manager Patrick Williams said it was hard to accept that MAF had become so much smaller (in PNG) in such a short space of time.

"We can no longer do everything that we used to do," he said.

"That leads to frustration and disappointment for all our customers across the country. It means that vital work does not happen."

Mr Williams said press releases and communications with bush communities in PNG were going out in an attempt to explain the current situation which includes a shortage of trained engineers.

"I would also ask our supporters and church members in Australia to pray for the challenges that MAF currently faces in PNG and that we might continue to fulfil our vision of seeing isolated people transformed in Christ's name," he added.

M.A.F.

has long been, and probably still is, the standout flying organisation in PNG. Pilots need a maintenance qualification plus a CPL, and after that, they are required to undertake a minimum number of landings and takeoffs at every difficult strip. They also require checking on every route flown - often x5 - with more checking in the vicinity of the well used 'gaps', eg, Bena gap (Madang to Goroka), the Black Cat (Lae to Wau), the Kokoda,(Moresby to Popondetta/Kokoda and many many more. It was always a close parallel to what charter/RPT pilots were required to train.

MAF strips are not to the same standard as charter strips. They are many degrees steeper, shorter, narrower, softer,rougher than 'commercial' strips.

As a consequence, MAF does have accidents. It matters little whether you're flying a Cessna 180, or a Twin Otter - the weather, mountains and tasks are just as challenging.

It's probable that MAF are suffering pilot shortages due to the upsurge in airline flying,(which is changing rapidly), but maybe as well, less young people are prepared to undertake many years of lowly paid 'service' in a dangerous environment.

I shared a hangar with MAF in Port Moresby 67-70, and gained some appreciation of the great work that their organisation does in PNG.

happy days,

but maybe as well, less young people are prepared to undertake many years of lowly paid 'service' in a dangerous environment.

happy days,

Do you blame them, in these financial times if you have a choice of more money you will go there.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I wonder why some churches try to convert ancient races and all that. They still do a neccessary task of providing a basic service. It just irks me a bit when you get quotes like-

frustration and disappointment for all our customers across the country

It's a thin line between a business and religious fellowship. My dad copped a certain church operating a tour company that was funded by that church in direct competition to him. My judgements of MAF may well be clouded by this issue.

Good work but when it borders on a commercial business then you have to ask the question. Sorry for the sidetrack. I think MAF and other low paid outfits always suffer from an exodus to better paying jobs. However, those pilots will never forget what they have done for the MAF and will remember it and retell the stories for the rest of their lives. PNG flying is little different from the years of George Cannon and...Errol Flynn. It is still a frontier.

Well this might start a few fires but the churches might think of spending some of the thousands of dollars that they get from their followers every year instead of lining their pockets. Why should they expect pilots to do a dangerous job for low money or free when they open their hands to every handout they can get. The catholic church is the owner of some of the most expensive real estate in the world yet they can't afford pilots.

What a CROK:angry:

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, MAF does not do anything other than fly. It is non-denominational and does not do 'missionary' work. It is allowed to conduct charter ops as required, and if it can fit them in - usually, it's mission work.

With the slide in the economy, it just might be that they'll have plenty of applicants?

happy days,

Well this might start a few fires but the churches might think of spending some of the thousands of dollars that they get from their followers every year instead of lining their pockets. Why should they expect pilots to do a dangerous job for low money or free when they open their hands to every handout they can get. The catholic church is the owner of some of the most expensive real estate in the world yet they can't afford pilots.What a CROK:angry:

I remember hearing about the pope who said he was going to sell off some of the churches wealth and save all the starving people. He strangely got shot the next day. The poor pope was only in power for a few days. Hmmm

I think you are totally right in saying the Catholic church can fix the worlds problems with all their wealth. They could definatly afford pilots.

Comon you blokes, fair crack of the whip.. MAF do a lot of exellent work, in needy communities here and in PNG..they are incredibly well respected in australia and around the world. They certainly don't deserve the pizzlin they are copping here..I'd be very carefull about tieing them with the catholic church, some members may take a great offence to that...

Believe it or not, there are some people in this world that genuinly do want to help people.:thumb_up:

Oh and BLA, don't worry about starting a few fires, hypocrits who don't practice what they preach need a good kick in the XXXX. If they really did what they claim as gods work, this thread wouldn't be needed as starvation wouldn't exist and neither would a severe shortage of vital common medicine in PNG.

I remember hearing about the pope who said he was going to sell off some of the churches wealth and save all the starving people. He strangely got shot the next day. The poor pope was only in power for a few days. HmmmI think you are totally right in saying the Catholic church can fix the worlds problems with all their wealth. They could definatly afford pilots.

Thats exactly right, they are all good sitting preaching there well doing but when it comes to handouts they are the first to take and last to give

Comon you blokes, fair crack of the whip.. MAF do a lot of exellent work, in needy communities here and in PNG

MM I agree, if you read my original posts I was saying that the Catholic Church could afford to help these causes and never do. The MAF might not only be the catholic church but on it's website it preaches to be helping others and as a non for profit company and spreading christian development. With a big DONATE button. As I said maybe all the churches can donate somthing instead of leaching more money from everyday people

My pop served in WWII in the 2/5th Commando Company, he always spoke very highly of the Gurkha's and the Fuzzy Wuzzy's, who fought faithfully with the diggers in many battles and both of who were stabbed in the back by the Australian government and the Commonwealth after the war.

If anything, we all owe the Fuzzy's for helping to keep the Japanese out of the top end and should protect them and their ancient culture from being tainted as it has been around longer than any of the top 5 main religions.

We have more than repaid the 'fuzzy wuzzy' debt. Aust sends over A$400 million in aid to PNG - every year, and most of it is squandered. Since they became independant in 1975 - that money has been 'without any strings'.

When Aussies handed over the reins of government in PNG -everything functioned, there were fair roads, lots of usable airstrips and good communications. Ask anyone just how far it's slipped since then.

As for MAF, I reiterate what I've said before - they are a significant operation and are a great opportunity for adventurous pilots to learn real flying.

PNG is not for the faint hearted though, and MAF operates to strips well below 'commercial' standards...an additional challenge.

Admin, I think this thread needs closing before someone slanders MAF and brings down wrath upon us all!!

poteroo