Which RA-AUS Aircraft could be used for Aerobatics?

BLA82

I thought I would start a new thread in here. If RA-Aus was to accept the weight increase and also bring in a Aerobatic Endorsement :ecstatic:what aircraft could be used for Aerobatics?

Would a S1 pits be allowed?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is available for aero's under 760 Kg?

The American Champion Citabria/ Decathlon series, for a starter, which have G-meters and jettisonable door. I believe the Murphy Biplane (Renegade). Cessna 150/152 Aerobat.. Nev

• Like 1

I'm showing my RA-Aus ignorance here because I'm not sure of the requirements other than weight. What other requirements are there, such as a low stall speed?

The S1 I used to fly was quite a heavy one and I'm trying to think what it weighed. From memory it was around 400kg empty, something like 520kg MTOW, but I could be wrong, it was quite a while back.

Guest Qwerty

How much would I love to be able to do aeros under RAA.

My imagination just runs away with me. For starters, I'd take my Lightwing off the market and get Howie to get it aero certified, then I could just go sick.

Unfortunately, I expect that aeros under RAA are lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way away.

Aero's.

I think they are too. The best alternative is to get access to a "real" certified one and do dual in it. There is a lot of extra problems that are not obvious till you go into it. Extra inspections AD's etc so there is a significant cost added which is inevitable if it is all done properly and to me there is no other way. With 540 0r 600Kg upper limit you would be pushing to build a strong enough plane to carry two people. Single seat it is another story . It could be done. I am always concerned that it would encourage the wrong people in the wrong planes to "give it a go". We have lost two of our best aero pilots in the last year or so, sadly . What hope therefore for the untrained ? Nev.

• Helpful 1

Guest Cloudsuck
Cross RV6 off your list for Aero's. It's not safely spinnable. Replace 6 with 7 and you're laughing.

I think that 7 and 8 are too heavy?

Impressive!

It seems to me that this is not approved for aerobatics so if that is true (I'm not sure) it suggests encouragement of hazardous attitudes?

On the other hand, there may be a good explanation as to why it was OK in that situation. eg In a past life I have obtained approval for a twin turboprop transport and a single piston normal category aircraft to perform limited aerobatics for displays inc at Farnborough (not me flying).

It seems to me that this is not approved for aerobatics so if that is true (I'm not sure) it suggests encouragement of hazardous attitudes?On the other hand, there may be a good explanation as to why it was OK in that situation. eg In a past life I have obtained approval for a twin turboprop transport and a single piston normal category aircraft to perform limited aerobatics for displays inc at Farnborough (not me flying).

In that video Wayne is flying VH-VSI Fisher Sport registered as GA experimental to facilitate the legalities of performing aerobatics, he himself is fully endorsed on aerobatics etc.

hope this helps clarify the situation

• Agree 1

Good, thanks facthunter and drifter_driver - the Experimental certificate would've identified the approved manoeuvres and the limitations.

Of course, if I'd gone to YouTube earlier I would've found the explanation.

I don't aero mine because it's RAA registered and I would most likely kill myself given my relativly low hours and lack of aero training. Drifter driver and I both have clones of VSI, exact same design. Mine has a canopy and a few other bits. The good thing is they are still very light while having double sleeves and thicker cables than the normal fisher mk 1 where nessesary. The handling is also very nice! These things go go exactly where you tell them too and stay there as they are pretty much neutrally stable.

When I sold my austflight drifter I had to move it to another airfield to have it shipped to hawaii, it really reminded me how much more sprittly the fisher sport is. The fisher also glides way further than the austflight, I get caught out every now and then because I go into drifter mode when cutting power and drift over the top of the field....

Wayne can still sell you a fisher sport kit but the 503 has been replaced by the 582...another 15hp....:clap:I would love to take one for a run!!!

Actually...

Specially prepared aircraft. Not your ordinary drifter. N..

I went for a ride at the great eastern fly-in with Wayne and ask him that very question and suprisingly he said the standard kit is more than capable of aeros. I can't quote exactly but some thing like +10 -4.

In saying that, to all those drifter pilots out there, Wayne is an outstanding pilot! There is aero trained, and there is aero experienced, and then there is experienced in drifter aero flight. Wayne I think is the only pilot in australia (maybe the world) rated to do this and I don't think casa is likely to ever give anyone else that rating. So please don't get any ideas.

Was this the one that took Tomo for his famous ride?

Almost! That one can do 74kts (somewhere there!) climbing loops! continuous! I think that's what he was telling me anyway......

With that stall speed the Victa would be in ... just. The 100hp stalls at 43 in landing configuration, the 115 at 44.

It's a bit of a gotcha though because that's assuming full flap. In the 115, the power off, flaps off stall is 54 knots, which is sooner than many people expect the stall to occur - especially as the stall warning only works when there is flap down.

It's a bit of a gotcha though because that's assuming full flap. In the 115, the power off, flaps off stall is 54 knots, which is sooner than many people expect the stall to occur - especially as the stall warning only works when there is flap down.

Ah the memories.....the one I flew had a car horn installed as a stall warning. It certainly got us focussed as students, since the instructor liked to let us experience it without telling us the first time!

Much easier to fly than a Jab, had twin throttle slides set high up, and one lazy sunny afternoon we were doing touch and goes on the grass at Moorabbin. The instructor was lying back, apparently snoozing, but he'd sit up and bawl me out "1050 feet!" circuit after circuit.

Finally I noticed an almost imperceptible movement of his knee against his throttle, allowed myself to climb, got bawled out again and made a nice smooth landing on the grass as he dozed, but held the aircraft down while easing on full power less noticeably. Suddenly he realised something was wrong, and jerked upright just as I smoothly lifted off with plenty of momentum.

Sometimes you get them back. I'd tell you more about throwing the Victa around but I was reprimanded (correctly) last time I opened up, so I'll just say, I'd like to see this one on the list.

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard

Had the pleasure of seeing Wayne do aeros at Inglwood fly-in one time, had a few Largers with him and shared accom with him and a couple of others. A man of some substance and I would hop in the back seat with him anytime. I lent him my stock 582 cb Drifter at Old Station once, so he could do a photo shoot. I was interested in what he would think of my plane. The only comment he made as he hopped out was "pushy, very pushy" I took that as being positive !!..................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif