Wings Over Illawarra

Nobody

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/wings-over-illawarra-2016.147550/#post-551631

Plane went U/S during the week. Not driving either.

Know of a plane parking place that won't get used now.

I am expecting rain on Saturday and ground fog on Sunday morning for Canberra. Apologies to anyone who gets caught up in that weather.

Yes it should be a good weekend. However rain is forecast for both days at Woolongong. After being stuck in a traffic jam at Canberra airport for over two hours (and literally walking distance from the carpark for all of that time) I am definitely not driving.

I was planning on going, but work interrupted me. I also got scared by Sydney airspace! I will be doing some work in Sydney soon, so I plane to find a school and get familiar with that airspace.

From Wings facebook page 5 hrs ago

NEWS

Unfortunately the Focke Wulf Fw 190 has been grounded due to mechanical issue. On departure from Albury, the Fw 190 had issues with the canopy coming away from the aircraft on departure. It was hoped that there could be some sort of resolution. But we have been notified that this has caused unresolvable issues at this time and had grounded the aircraft. Both Wings Over Illawarra, the Fw 190 owner and all concerned are devastated.

Sad news about the FW190.

Lots of people here at the moment. They have just started the connie with a big cloud of smoke.

Not many small aircraft have flown in. Perhaps it was the low cloud earlier but the weather here now is great.

Does anyone have an answer to the number of lighties on the paddock today.

I was late to seeing the detail about WOI - too late to do the compulsory pre-registration. I have been trying various channels to get an OK to come in for tomorrow morning but not having much luck. Was it a full house today?

I am thinking maybe I just pot luck tomorrow morning early and if they let me in, great and if they don't then I guess they'll just make me take off again.

• Helpful 1

Does anyone have an answer to the number of lighties on the paddock today. I was late to seeing the detail about WOI - too late to do the compulsory pre-registration. I have been trying various channels to get an OK to come in for tomorrow morning but not having much luck. Was it a full house today?

I am thinking maybe I just pot luck tomorrow morning early and if they let me in, great and if they don't then I guess they'll just make me take off again.

There was plenty of space today.

• Like 1

Was a great day and looked like only twenty odd GA fly ins and lots of helis in that number too. The noise of the F18 was awesome.

Should have flown in but the aircraft I was going to fly in was already hired and flown there by someone else! :rotary:

• Like 1

Saturday was a fantastic day, lots of action and beaut weather! Would have been close to 15,000 people there I reckon.

Not there today, but I'm sure it'll be great also, although the wind has picked up.

Meanwhile in Canberra an 80 km/h gust was recorded at 13:30. Goulburn is averaging 60 km/h gusting well into the 80's from the west which isn't desirable given the topography there

Thanks to Mnewbery and his mate Brian I went down today and had a fantastic day. The weather out of YWVA in the morning was pretty foul with isolated thunderstorms and rain but by the time we got to Long Reef it had stopped raining and the southern end of Victor 1 was swimming in sunshine. A disappointingly small turnout of lighties. I counted 12 fixed wings, I think all VH registered. Maybe the weather turned some away but the last few times I have been, there were many more aircraft flying in. Anyway, at least there wasn't a long queue at the end of the day.

My highlights: the Connie with Roulettes in formation was beautiful. I thought all the aerobatic guys excelled but it is hard not to be impressed with Matt Hall's skills. The hornet was, as usual, a spectacular climax. Loved it. Thanks to the organisers and volunteers.

• Like 1

It was a lot of fun today. I didnt take a lot of photos but did get a few of the Constellation taking off. Fire pouting out the 8 exhausts, mist rings forming on the props and the sound......

• Like 12

Nobody you have highlighted my favourite part of the day. And Tony, I couldn't agree more. Impressed by the other guys but Halls precision was second to none. Although PB in the Trojan with his first loop did receive my "balls of steel" award for the day.

Spewing I missed it. Even though I canned it for other reasons, I doubt I would have been able to get out of Brisbane anyway due weather. All going well I should have my PIFR by this time next year, so no excuses.