Hi Guys

Hi Guys,John here, a little intro.. got involved in flying through my sons "lost" remote control aircraft (microlighters helped me find them !)about 9 years ago, wife suggested I try new hobby,well that was the beginning,got licenced for a aquilla weightshift which my sons now fly, moved on to LSA and finally sweated for a robbie 22 PPHL then purchased a Rotorway kit built heli. I look forward to reading comments and suggestions from all those involved in flying.Yours,John

Hi John, welcome along

there are a lot of aviators here and all fly different types of aircraft so you will fit in just fine. Good to have your son flying too!I hope you enjoy the site and the forums.

Monty

Corridoor

"Fale" has messed up recreational flying as we knew it, most of my flying was from Ballito through tongaat / Verulam and up to Inanda dam,always flying over our house to "announce" my return.We now have a "corridoor"to exit the field, below 1000 feet, routing north, have to be transponder equipped and open and close the "Ballito box" with King Shaka. All this is a hassel but worth it to stay, what is a pity is the ruling that we are not open to visitors..that is what clubs are all about, and is already having an effect!!John

, what is a pity is the ruling that we are not open to visitors..that is what clubs are all about, and is already having an effect!!John

I'll second that, it was a vibrant little flying community when I last visited 6 + yrs ago and I believe it had developed since then. Sad, but as you say at least they didn't close you altogether. What about airspace heading up toward Inanda Dam, I recall having to climb pretty high on occasion, to get out of the turbulence on the way back from breakfast at Cato Ridge or coffee at Lightflight. Used to be a great area for little bugsmashers.

G'day John, welcome to our little,well not so little community. Did you see my post and link on AVcom by chance? I was warmly welcomed there so you see, we return the courtesy.

Enjoy you visits and continue to speak up. Any trip reports with photos?

Avcom, Inanda dam

Last things first... Hi Doug, yes I did see your piece on Avcom, that is what got me onto this site, thanks for that.Spin... What is your real name?! the trip to inanda is now not above 3000' on 124.2 north of the N3, obviously climbing as you move inland.The airspace, I understand is still up for discussion, it is a nightmare going direct to Ladysmith from Ballito..I cannot let go of my controls,(no governor, no friction) so map reading is "difficult" and the GPS upgrade is still in the making, the airspace goes something like this (Max) 1000', 3000', 4500',5500', 6500',and then higher than required for IFR, the answer is to fly about 700' agl and put up with the turbulance!John