Landing on Dirt Strips

pudestcon

When I trained , the 3 pointer was the thing to do. You should be ready to do either. Normally the thruster will not quite get the tailwheel onto the ground with full back stick. If the sink rate is anything at, all this will result in a tendency to bounce. IF the tailwheel can be made to contact just before the mains the plane doesn't bounce. Tony Was in the process of redesigning the thruster with a riggers angle of attack that would have fixed the problem. There is a landing technique that overcomes lack of up elevator, but it is a bit "trick".. Sometimes a power on approach ( at least durimg the flare) will give enough extra authority with the elevator to do the job. Nev.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rocketdriver

I wonder of Vg s on the underside of the HS just in front of the elevator would cure this? Not sure if that could be done legally and practically but if possible might just give the elevator that bit extra ...

• 6 months later...

Hi Pud. I had a T300 for 7 years and did a full rebuild as you have. sadly she is sold now and in Penang.

I am on the other side of the pond in the U.K.

I tried 3 pointers relentlesly as everyone said that if you were a real taildragger pilot that is what you do!!!.

That is absolute B******s in my honest opinion, it is all about getting the plane to the ground with as little abuse of the airframe as possible and it was only when I converted to wheelers that I felt totally relaxed in my Thruster flying.

I used to take off and fly around worrying that I had to plant the plane back on the deck as best I could with a 3 pointer, this resulted in some horrendous bounces and some bad airframe abuse.

This all ended when I read Tony Hayne's fantastic article about landings and then I timidly tried my first wheeler and never looked back.

The great thing about a wheeler is the fact that the plane is in a good flying mode all the way to the ground and it is as simple as reducing power, holding off until the mains just touch, nudge the stick forward to keep her planted and rudder all the way until the tail wheel comes down and keep ruddering until she stops. ( it ain't over until the fat lady sings as they say with a Thruster)

Also with a cross wind you are in a good flying state all the way in.

Anyway there are plenty out there who will disagree, but it transformed my flying !!!

You have done a superb rebuild and I wish I still had my T300.

I moved on to a Tecnam P92 and have been grounded since February with fuel tank issues

Happy flying .

Roly Pom flyer.

• Like 1

Hi Pud. I had a T300 for 7 years and did a full rebuild as you have. sadly she is sold now and in Penang.I am on the other side of the pond in the U.K.

I tried 3 pointers relentlesly as everyone said that if you were a real taildragger pilot that is what you do!!!.

That is absolute B******s in my honest opinion, it is all about getting the plane to the ground with as little abuse of the airframe as possible and it was only when I converted to wheelers that I felt totally relaxed in my Thruster flying.

I used to take off and fly around worrying that I had to plant the plane back on the deck as best I could with a 3 pointer, this resulted in some horrendous bounces and some bad airframe abuse.

This all ended when I read Tony Hayne's fantastic article about landings and then I timidly tried my first wheeler and never looked back.

The great thing about a wheeler is the fact that the plane is in a good flying mode all the way to the ground and it is as simple as reducing power, holding off until the mains just touch, nudge the stick forward to keep her planted and rudder all the way until the tail wheel comes down and keep ruddering until she stops. ( it ain't over until the fat lady sings as they say with a Thruster)

Also with a cross wind you are in a good flying state all the way in.

Anyway there are plenty out there who will disagree, but it transformed my flying !!!

You have done a superb rebuild and I wish I still had my T300.

I moved on to a Tecnam P92 and have been grounded since February with fuel tank issues

Happy flying .

Roly Pom flyer.

G'day Lowflyer,

The discussion here has certainly given me food for thought, although I will stick with my wheelers for now. At least until I am comfortable flying my new Thruster, then I might try some 3 pointers. The T500 is all ready to go, sitting in the hangar just waiting for nice weather and the weekend to coincide.

Sorry to hear about your Tecnam being grounded.

All the best

Pud

Thanks Pud, hope to get my final inspection done this weekend, then wait for the permit to test.

Looking forward to hearing all about your first flight in the T500, she really is a great looking plane.

Wishing you nothing but happy and fun flying in a superb machine.

Yes it would be good to get into the 3 pointers, so that if landing on rough unknown ground, it would be a safer bet as she would be a lot less likely to pitch over if you hit a bad hump.

Will watch the forum along with many others to hear your news.

Cheers. Roly. Pom flyer.