Following on from Darky's post RE: mobile phones.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be able to give you a review on the Desire once it arrives in the mail :big_grin:

One thing to consider though is that the Desire uses the Android operating system, the other two you've listed use Windows. You might want to go find one of each in a shop and test which operating system you like better. I found that I didn't really like the windows system so discounted those phones straight away when looking (not saying it'll be the same for you, but it's something to consider if you haven't already)

Hi There FD have an HTC HD2, bought just before Easter, probably would have purchased an iphone.

However the iphone has super bluetooth which was not going to work with the average Bluetooth thingy I can plug between headset and aircraft.

Also the HTC HD2 comes with 16gig mem as standard 5mp camera and an FM reciever. Sold it for me, means I can listen to mp3 or local ABC, especially whilst cruising accross the crop on a Sunday Morn listening to Macca, and all with one device.

You can bluetooth it to whatever and it will also plug straight into the Zulu headset with the standard cable, coming with the Zulu.

Although it doesn't have the Telstra Blue Tick, am on Next G, I have found the reception to be very good, whilst standing alongside someone with a late model Nokia, they had to move to get reception whilst I stayed put!

So you could say all in all I am impressed with it as a Phone, and there is so much stuff I have no idea about, I do know it doesn't have my cup of tea ready when I get out of Bed!

Tomorrow - Saturday - I shall go "attack" a shop and play with them.

You'll only be able to find the Desire at a Telstra shop, they've got exclusive rights to them at the moment (unless you do what I did and buy one unlocked from overseas). However, on the other hand, being Telstra, you may well have an experience like I did when I played with one at the Telstra shop where all the employees stood round chatting to each other and completely ignored me (and therefore I didn't have to deal with people trying to actually sell me the phone 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

Iphone 4, three-axis gyroscope for measuring angular velocity. It can figure out pitch, roll, and yaw; and rotation about gravity. The gyroscope plus the accelerometer provide six-axis motion sensing, and remember it also has a built in compass and 12 channel GPS. Lo and behold - it can even make phone calls!!

Blueshed,

Yeah, I'm looking at their specs.

It is annoying that they don't list the specs in the same way.

The GPS is "neat" but I am also looking at getting a new GPS (Garmin Area 500) as my 96C is starting to show its age. :( It also resets itself as I am driving/flying.

I think they all have a compass and radio.

But looking at the specs it isn't that clear.

I am also wanting to know how "customisable" they are.

Some phones you can't edit individual's ring tones, etc. Others you can. Probably petty, but this sort of thing is how I use my phone and so that is the kind of thing I "want".

With the GPS and goooogle maps: Is that counted against data download?

Can I use the GPS "stand alone" and have local/inbuilt maps?

I-phones... Yeah, nice but I am not too keen on them. Know people who have them and they say they keep falling over - failing - and there are limits to the phone. Someone told me they are locked down something shocking.

LG are NOT in the race. I refuse to use anything LG.

The company mindset is far too weird for me.

Darky,Did you find a good place to get aviation related apps yet?

I've found that there are some on the Android Marketplace but haven't gotten any of them yet since I haven't got the phone yet.

A few related sites I've found:

Once I get the phone and look into it more I should be able to tell you a bit more :)

Darky,

All those apps.... You sure they gonna work here?

Weather stuff may possibily be only for yank land. I had a heck of a job finding a weather tool for Firefox which worked for Oz.

Hi DarkySo unlocked where from how much how long to get here?

Yo TT,

Unlocked, bought outright from the UK (Smartphones, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Blackberry, Nokia, Brodit, HP iPAQ, Palm - Clove Technology). Cost me $620 including shipping rather than $799 buying it from Aus or eBay. Posted on the 9th, should arrive sometime next week :)

Only trouble you'll have is gettign it to work on the NextG network for full speed data.

It'll only download using EDGE which is substantially slower. Still a good price you got it at though!

I have Intellipilot on my desire (basically a logbook app), and one called TAFsMETARs for weather info. (Oh and Winds of Steel...not exactly the type of Aviation App ppl are thinking of though 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

NextG works on frequencies only used by 2 other carriers in the world (Hong Kong and Canada).

The Telstra branded phones are the only ones right now that have the receivers in them to access the extra channels.

You can still make phone calls and all that on the NextG network, it just means the DATA will be slower... It's still perfectly usable though, you just will have issues streaming youtube through it (not that you would on a regular data plan!)

Data over wifi will be at full speed though!

But I'm not with Telstra, so presumably I wouldn't be using NextG anyway?

TPG uses optus' 900/2100 instead of Telstra's 850/2100 So you got the one that suits you. The original Nexus i ordered was 850, and i am glad they cancelled my order :P

So if I buy a telstra desire then it won't work on other networks if unlocked?

Personally, unless you want to use the Telstra network (NextG), I'd recommend against buying a Telstra Desire.

1. It's more expensive, I think it's $799 and, as I said, I saved about $180 or so by buying it overseas.

2. It is Telstra branded and comes loaded with some Telstra bloatware.

With regard to the network thing, I'm not sure how that works, however there is a bit more info here which might help you with that: HTC Desire - Models and Networks

I have a HTC Desire; they are OK, but iPhone is much easier to use - especially one-handed - and more intuitive.

Next G is a must if you operate outside of the city or in an aircraft. I have a student in Cobar and most weeks I fly Bathurst, Cobar, Dubbo, Bathurst (6 hours in J230, including his lesson) and get reception nearly all the way..